Scheduled chats - good idea? Suggested times?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dstephan

So we've toyed with this idea in the past. What's everyone's opinions on scheduled chat times here at SSF?

Good idea but the chat room has a 25 member max. count..............alot of unhappy & dissappointed freaks maybe?

Good idea, if the topic or topics to be discussed are posted.

Example:
Monday night: 12" figures
Tuesday night: prop repicas
Wednesday: LOTR/WETA
Thursday: Star Wars
Friday: Whatever

Then switch it up and rotate it. I would be more likely to drop in if there is something I want to talk about being talked about.

Just an idea

Not to sure if I like structured chats with a pre-determined subject. If there were an SSC guest - then that might make it worthwhile.

But I think most people just want to know that they'll be other people in there.

And what about those of us who live in another country... maybe a group of us kiwis and Aussies could have ourselves a scheduled chat...realising of course the time differences.

Hi Everyone,

Dave, I think if you just announce it (Time and Date), People will show up if they know something is scheduled. Sideshow seems to be pretty successful doing it that way.

Thanks,
Mike
:ted

Yeah, I think it would be cool but the 25 max count like pitch said might be a problem.

Like the idea. Posting time of their/your choosing is also good -- asking folks for a good time is like trying to build an elephant by committee (everyone will have their own preference, depending on what part of the globe they live on).

Sometimes these chats can overwhelm if TOO freeform...a bit of structure might be good (if nothing else, for the sake of the SS participants)?

It would be a great idea. Only problem is time tables. Having a regular chat on a time I'm sleeping wouldnt be something I'd be thrilled about.

I think this is a good idea.

BE brings up a good point and possibly we could have a couple chats on the same subject at different times to help our Eastern friends.

I think Scheduled Chats are a great idea, but you need to make sure people aren't turned down from joining the chat on a time thats not scheduled so you can keep people chatting 24/7. Having scheduled chats everyday might be too much because not everyone will be coming in everyday, and it might be more productive to have one once a week or twice a week, in which people will know a lot of people will be going out of their way to showup, so you might get a larger audience that way.

You know my stance on the java/irc dave :)

Just this week I switched to a dedicated IRC server which you guys are welcome to use.

-No limit to the people in channel
-Your not required to use java, you could use one of the hundreds of irc clients out there, or you could stick with one of the various java clients I've setup for the server. (I could also, if wanted, program a mirc script specifically for SSF just as theonering.net has)
-We host the largest Tolkien Trivia bot on any IRC server.
-When ezboard goes down or you switch to a new forum system, the chat would stay up and stay the same.
-Ability for dave to assign channel operators to kick/ban/change topic/etc for the channel.
-Ability to change your nickname and set away messages as well as register/password protect your nickname.
-Bots always in the channel to auto-op people like dave as well as add a fun enviornment such as typing !cookies, the bot could say something like "Sauron hands chocolate chip cookies to everyone in the room".
-IRC is much faster and more efficient than the software that ezboard uses.
-Other Tolkien sites use the server as well, so just by typing /join #herenistarion you could join the NY Tolkien Society room and chat with them, others could also join SSF room, thus the channel activity would increase.
-If someone wanted to roleplay or chat with a specific group of people privately, thats not an option on this java chat, with IRC you could join another channel and tell your friends to join with you to chat, you could even password protect the channel to stop intruders, something which might be beneficial for a moderator meeting or something.
-If someone from Weta came to talk, you do just like they did on their chat (yes, they use IRC), set it so only people who are voiced can speak, so only dave could ask questions to the weta employee without everyone shouting.
-You could setup a bot to tell you when someone last logged on if you're looking for someone.

Alright I'm done with my rant. :)

Hey Dave,

I think you should just announce one on the board and see how it turns out. It's tough too because of the different time zones everyone is on. All though all of the UK board members do not require sleep so it should be fine. :banana Right Jonathan.

LOL

Thanks,
Mike
:ted

Any chat would be nice :help :poke :help

Where is everybody :dunno :google :dunno

TC :bonk :eye :bonk

Back