Help choosing a game console

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr2red

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am leaning to the Wii but it is expensive and no extra game. I would prefer to play games on my pc but the upgrades needed to play most of the new games makes it cost prohibitive. What about the handheld PSP. Good games come with it for around 200.00. I want Bioshock and Star Wars Battlefront.

Feedback and your personal preferences appreciated.

Well, the cheapest form of the next gen is the Wii. Compared to the PSP and the Nintendo DS, I think the Wii is a much better investment. With the Wii, it's more interactive, plus you can play with friends and family.

Don't go PSP. I feel like Sony didn't do the best they could with that one. I had one and sold it a few months after purchase. I haven't regretted it since.

In my opinion if you want fun games geared more for children go for anything Nintendo like the DS or the Wii.

If you want games that will wow you graphically then go with the Xbox 360 or PS3. Xbox has more games but I prefer the PS3 because of the blu Ray player.

Hope this helps. :)

The Wii is fun for it's interactivity.

The PS3 is cool for it's graphics plus you get the added feature of a Blu-Ray player (Bonus!).

The XBOX360 has Bioshock, Halo 3 and Gears of War going for it, not to mention the best online gaming setup.

I love my PS3 and 360, but it all comes down to what kind of games you play and the features you want/need.

You are just asking for fanboy trouble with this thread, Red.

I think the Wii is the best investment because, imo, it's the most fun of the new consoles and it comes with a game compilation (Wii Sports). There is a turn-based strategy Star Trek game coming out for the Wii this month (iirc, you are a bit of a Trekie).

If you want Bioshock and Star Wars Battlefront, your best bet is probably PSP, like you said.

Basically, we need info about your interests to give a good recommendation, but that won't stop the fanboys from turning this thread into a "my system can beat up your system" thread.

I think the Wii is the best investment because, imo, it's the most fun of the new consoles and it comes with a game compilation (Wii Sports).

I think you're asking for trouble by saying that...:rotfl:rotfl

Xbox 360 has Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, most of the other hit games coming out this month, really great online service too. Fairly good price, there are bundles now with a couple of games.

PS3 would be OK if it wasn't for that there aren't as many games and the cheaper version is worthless compared to the $500 version that has a lot more space and backwards compatibility.

Wii is OK, fun, cheap. But the games are pretty much restricted to the casual market and many other games are stripped down-PS2 versions of popular games. And the graphics aren't as good.

I think the Wii is the best investment because, imo, it's the most fun of the new consoles and it comes with a game compilation (Wii Sports). There is a turn-based strategy Star Trek game coming out for the Wii this month (iirc, you are a bit of a Trekie).

If you want Bioshock and Star Wars Battlefront, your best bet is probably PSP, like you said.

Basically, we need info about your interests to give a good recommendation, but that won't stop the fanboys from turning this thread into a "my system can beat up your system" thread.

Bioshock is an Xbox 360 Exclusive. And it's a known fact that Star Trek games suck. (It's true, sorry, I had hope but they continue to fail).

I was an avid Doom player, I have played mostly first person shooters. I don't
like it when choosing weapons etc becomes to complex. Give me a big gun and off I go. I played half life, got stuck and never played again. I played games when we still used floppy drives and 1/4 drives.
So I have played on my computer games on and off over the years. I think one of the first was a golf game. Way long time ago. What games does the Wii have?

Wii

Metroid prime
Super mario galaxy
Zelda
SSBM.
Medal of honor heroes 2 (32 player online)
just to name a few...

End of story.

PS3 or Xbox when GTA4 AND Force unleashed comes out.

:D

Wii is getting a specific version of Force Unleashed to have some special Lightsaber stuff, so that might be good also.

Although it won't have the graphical stuff of Xbox and PS3.

The $350 Xbox Pro system comes with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2. Both original Xbox Star Wars Battlefront games are backwards compatible as well. If you are primarily a FPS fan, then the 360 is probably your best bet. And the original Doom is available on Live Arcade.

The Wii is a fun system if you have friends over a lot. It's a good "party system" so far. It can play all the old Gamecube games as well.

The new $399 PS3 just released has axed all backwards compatibility with the PS2. Most of the exciting titles and Home are all scheduled for next year. Sony will be including rumble in the controllers next spring meaning you will need to repurchase controllers if you want that feature. I think PS3 will be a great purchase next holiday.

I was an avid Doom player, I have played mostly first person shooters. I don't
like it when choosing weapons etc becomes to complex. Give me a big gun and off I go. I played half life, got stuck and never played again. I played games when we still used floppy drives and 1/4 drives.
So I have played on my computer games on and off over the years. I think one of the first was a golf game. Way long time ago. What games does the Wii have?

360 for you than! First person shooter heaven. Plus you can play with the majority of the Freaks every night. We have a blast!

If it's all about games, then I would recommend the Wii. If you are into Hi-Def movies and Hi-Def gaming then either go PS3 (Blu-Ray bonus) or the XBOX 360.

Myself, I have the Wii and the PS3, and no plans on getting the XBOX. I have a Toshiba A-20 for my HD DVD player (which is the only reason I considered a XBOX).

Like I said, as far as gaming goes. I love the Wii. My wife actually plays it with me. And, one of the best parts is you can go online to the Nintendo store and buy older games and download them to your Wii, original Nintendo (Super Marios Bros, or Donkey Kong for $5 a piece), Super NES, N64, Sega Genesis, Neo Geo, TurboGrafx 16 (I just bought Bonk's Adventure for $6 the other night, haven't played that one in like 15 years)...

the Wii is "fun", it won't blow you away w/amazing visuals or surround sound. It's all about the fun you had playing games the first time at home probably on the original Nintendo (if your my age). Yet, it is re-inventive all over again w/the controller. Bowling is alot of fun. Plus, the Wii is alot cheaper then the other 2.

My bottom line: I love my PS3, and I love my Wii. But, if I am basing my decision only on gaming. I would choose the Nintendo Wii.

Hope that helps. :)

Those of you that have more than one console - I'm concerned about HDMI hookups to my TV. There are only 2 for my TV and my TIVO has one and whatever HD player I get will have the other. So those of you who have an Xbox, PS3 and Wii - where do you plug everything in?

Back