12" John Wayne Calvary Officer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choopie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Couldn't find the thread on this guy, but I just received the 12-15 day notice. I'm happy that he's shipping on time.

Capt. Brittles is almost here. It's just a shame there's no Quincannon to go with him.

Good news for the BOA fans. If you watch the backstage pass video on SS' website on the 12" John Wayne Calvary Officer figure page, you'll hear that the BOA line is in fact NOT dead and there are hopes to revisit the line soon! :chew

Good news for the BOA fans. If you watch the backstage pass video on SS' website on the 12" John Wayne Calvary Officer figure page, you'll hear that the BOA line is in fact NOT dead and there are hopes to revisit the line soon! :chew

GOOD! I want General George Thomas, the Rock of Chickamauga!

Oh...my cavalry officer is here. The face and hat are nice but the fringe on the exclusive jacket is awfully funky. It's a piece of fabric hem that's been chopped up with scissors or something. Don't know when I can do pictures. Sorry guys.

Oh...my cavalry officer is here. The face and hat are nice but the fringe on the exclusive jacket is awfully funky. It's a piece of fabric hem that's been chopped up with scissors or something. Don't know when I can do pictures. Sorry guys.

too bad to hear about the jacket. :( mine will arrive on thursday. so how's the rest of the figure look, hat, clothing, boots, etc.?

Updated pics on Sideshow's site.

:monkey4
34071_press01-001.jpg

Wow....he looks really bulky. I'm seriously considering getting this for my Dad. He's a big John Wayne fan and while he doesn't collect a whole lot I think this will be a neat X-Mas gift.

Aside from the outrageously awful tailoring on the exclusive jacket (SSC should really be ashamed of themselves for putting something like that out), I think he turned out well.

The production sculpt looks more like Wayne than the prototype imo, although he appears to have lost the grey streaks in his hair, but that's easily fixed.

3407_press02-001.jpg

the exclusive jacket looks embarrasing and if I had seen those pics I would have just bought the regular at an e-tailer for cheaper. oh well, gotta support these type of lines i suppose. the rest of the fig looks great imo. can't wait till thursday!

I got mine today. I don't know what to think. The leather jacket doesn't bother me as much as the pants. I don't like the material choice. This material would be great for a super hero costume but not for a lat 19th century calvary officer. My good camera is in storage but here are a few quick pictures.

Photo158.jpg

Now I know how Custer felt!!

Photo160.jpg
Photo159.jpg

and PS. Johny's eyes are looking left

That's the jacket all right. I haven't taken mine out of the box yet, but the pants do look like spandex. I'm afraid Hot Toys has spoiled me. The outfit is a bit of a letdown. The sculpt is nice, and I'm glad it's not just a rehash of an earlier sculpt of the Duke.

just received him and everything is great except the jacket, which i will never display on him and those Captain America tights. it makes me sick to look at the picture on the box(prototype) and see those pants and then look at the one on the actual figure; besides the spandex look it's bright blue. i might return him because of the pants....other than that he's great.

just received him and everything is great except the jacket, which i will never display on him and those Captain America tights. it makes me sick to look at the picture on the box(prototype) and see those pants and then look at the one on the actual figure; besides the spandex look it's bright blue. i might return him because of the pants....other than that he's great.

I agree with you 100% about the pants. I don't know who approved of this material at SS or is it now... Medicom????

I think he's going back.:monkey2

Yet again, another major disappointment by SideShow. Someone on the research team really needs an American history lesson.

Well, I received him last night. He's a Christmas gift, so I didn't open him, but just from observation I have to say that I'm not impressed with him either. Not happy with the exclusive jacket or the material for the pants. My favorite so far is the Pacific Marine figure.

But the person I bought it for is not as picky about such things, so I'm sure it'll be a winner.

I think this is the best sculpt so far of John Wayne done by SSC. It's an excellent likeness and I'm even happy with the paint application. Good stuff.
And while I'm happy overall with the figure I agree with all the criticisms concerning the uniform stated so far. The breetches texture and color is awful. Just a very strange choice of material by Sideshow. They know better and have offered a superior version before. And the exclusive fringed jacket is awful as well, bad material choice and bad tailoring. SSC has come such a long way on improving the costuming of the figures since I first started collecting that these items are a big dissapointment.
Again, I still think it's a great figure and will make most collectors happy since there is much more good than bad in the box. And if you'd like to improve it, everything you need, with the exception of the fringed jacket is available from www.battlegeartoys.com to make it into the figure it should have been to begin with. You can make it a highly accurate version of "The Duke" that will make almost anyone happy.
I'm not at all sorry I ordered this figure. But I also wouldnt have felt too bad not getting the exclusive now that it's here. So if you were on the fence, or were unhappy about not getting the exclusive just go ahead and order the regular retailer version. I think you'll like it.

I'd also like to hear from everyone regarding the eyes. Mine seem crooked or at least one eye appears lazy. Would SS allow a trade? If everyone else has this same problem I guess I'll have to over look it. Still on the fence about keeping him.

Back