Fellbeast Artist Proof

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

toffeepops

How much it is worth now in the market...anyone?:nazgul

Is it more than 700USD?:help

I would say 700 is about right.

And you can be sure its an AP since the base is fixed.

Last AP FB went for $700 on Ebay.

My Fell Beasty is an AP, and I love it! :banana :carrot

I wasn't actually, I am following a few of his auctions and wanted to talk to him.

Jesse

No worries. As I mentioned in another thread, I have had two dealings with him and, on both occasions, the transaction was faultless from start to finish.

Good luck if you decide to buy.

I don't get it...

We've been over this a gazillion times. It's even in the permathreads.

There is nothing special about APs. If anything, they have LESS rather than MORE. A number, for instance... :p

A few threads above this one (currently) there is a whole debate about how APs are (were) used to fill items that were sold above their numbers. It is even hinted -and not without good reason- that many APs were manufactured with just that reason in mind.

And STILL people go on about "how much is it worth?"

I even daresay that since we know the facts, putting an eBay auction together stating that an AP is rarer and more valuable than a 'regular' edition is about as misleading as SFs notorious Balrog auction.

rubbish
aps are rarer than numbered editions , by miles.
whats misleading about that .
i totally respect that your a great authority on these weta pieces,
but ,
i fear,
youve had to much long bottom leaf
lol
:bliss

I even daresay that since we know the facts, putting an eBay auction together stating that an AP is rarer and more valuable than a 'regular' edition is about as misleading as SFs notorious Balrog auction.

Peter with your vast collection, you've probably forgotten more about SS/W than I will ever know. That being said, I must disagree with you on this. We know for a fact that AP's are signficantly more rare than numbered editions. Look at how few of them appear on Ebay. When they do appear, they consistently go for a higher price than the "normal" versions. I think that justifies saying that they are more valuable than the normal pieces.

I agree that AP's are not "better" pieces than the regular versions, but people collect them just for their rarity and value. I would rather have Balrog #1/1000 than just a normal #, and it's the same thing for people who collect the AP's. It's just a cool thing to have.

I have never owned an AP, and if I did, I would sell it and get the regular version. For example, if I had an AP Cave Troll, I would sell it, buy the regular version, and use the difference to purchase new statues.

It's just a cool thing to have.
Not really once you know what it really is...
Most people that own or collect APs think that they are collecting something else than what they really are.

Ok, let me explain a little more then.
And please read the permathread on APs

I will of course not deny the fact that APs command a higher price than the 'regular' editions, but that does not make them special. Nor does it give you the right to present them as such, when the facts are different.

Anyone with knowledge of the subject will agree that their 'value' is due to early speculation and -frankly- misrepresentation.
Because of that, the whole AP myth has started a life of its own.

Sure, if you feel that an AP is rarer just because it has no number on it, be my guest to spend the money on it.
What I'm saying is that many (if not most or all) APs are (were) created to fill in the discrepancy between the orders placed and the actual number of available statues.
As such, there is nothing special about them. In fact, they are more like an item's overdraft than anything else.

Anybody thinking that they are truly special, of better quality and/or created for the ultimate approval of the artist, is plain wrong.
Those that know this and STILL present it in an auction as if it WERE that special thing, is misrepresenting it.

If a seller puts it on eBay, simply stating that it is an AP and lets the market dictate, then obviously there is nothing wrong.
It turns sour though, when you start to read descriptions like "ultra rare", "better quality", "artist's approval" and more of such nonsense. THAT's when honesty fades and the comparison with SF's Balrog rears its ugly head.

Hey, I have an ultra-rare, factory released King of the Dead statue.
Where all the pieces are normally flawless due to SSW quality control, I have one of the very few that were factory-repaired and painted over. Normally these are picked out and destroyed, but mine actually slipped through!
Think of it like a misprint postal stamp!
Ultra rare, factory released, unique!

Similar idea, utter nonsense. :p

To each their own, but don't let the bubble grow any bigger or believe in a dream that isn't real.
:grouphug :grouphug

I wonder then, if any of the Artist Proofs were actually used
as an AP is intended - to allow the artist to refine the sculpt,
paint, or process before creating the final tooling for 9,500 of
a statue, to prevent any breakage, flaws, or other imperfections.

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

I have a few APs and it is clear that there is no difference in appearance between the numbered versions and the APs.

For me it's about having something just that little bit rarer than a numbered version. I pay a bit extra for the words 'Artist Proof' on the base but it's only an extra couple of zeros on the overdraft!!!

"I wonder then, if any of the Artist Proofs were actually used
as an AP is intended - to allow the artist to refine the sculpt,
paint, or process before creating the final tooling for 9,500 of
a statue, to prevent any breakage, flaws, or other imperfections."

That isn't the intent of an AP. What you are describing is what a Production Sample is used for. "Artist Proof" is a bit of a misnomer.

Back