HT Ripley Ver:01 + Ver:02 comps

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
I know a lot of you have wanted to see direct comps, so here you go!
It's still not a spot on Sigourney but I'm guessng tha's due to licencing issues, but she's a whole lot better than the first in my estimations... come on Les, I'm waiting to see what magic you'll work on the new one!
The new ones on the left (as if you couldn't tell!)

Ripley.jpg

Ripleyheadmulti.jpg

Thanks wookster! Great shots! What I thought (and said earlier): exactly the same headsculpt, but a much much better paint job.

wookster, how hard you think it is to disassemble the power loader, if you should decide to put it back in the box?

Thanks for posting this.
Here's my take on it...
It's the same head. Sculptwise, it's the same.
Paint is better...the green eyes look a tad more like her than the blue ones did, and the first paint looked like a Barbie. They have improved her eyebrows and mouth considerably, and even the skintone some. I like the skin a LOT better!
But, what is it? Why can't they get it?
Her hair is DARK brown, and her eyes are DARK brown.

See below...

Rip2.jpg

Rip3.jpg

and a shot with some makeup, but closer in...

Rip1-1.jpg

I see no green eyes here.
And DARK hair. When I paint her, I just paint pure Burnt Umber paint, and very little highlights. Just enough to bring out the details, and that's it.
If anyone gets this, paint the hair Burnt Umber, and her eyes as well. Glosscoat her eyes, YUR DUN! :rock
They have at least made it easier to correct her.

Great post though. Very informative for everyone. At least I know my Powerloader Ripley will be Ripley before the freshly opened box smell has left the room! :D

So much for angry Ripley resculpt dreams.

Do-able with care. The hoses would be easy but you'd have to bag or label as you take them off, the only area for concern would be the elbows and hips. As I said, I'm sure it's do-able and I've taken ALL my HT figures appart again at some point, but this will take nerves of steel and a firm steady hand!
As far as the head goes I think there has been a little re-working. The chin shape looks leaner and I think they've made the eyes a little smaller. I guess it mght be all in the paint, but it looks a little different to me.

Yup, exactly the same sculpt, just a new paint job -which can do wonders, as we all know- but I still feel disappointed, after all, HT said it would be a "new headsculpt".

Thanks for posting this.
Here's my take on it...
It's the same head. Sculptwise, it's the same.
Paint is better...the green eyes look a tad more like her than the blue ones did, and the first paint looked like a Barbie. They have improved her eyebrows and mouth considerably, and even the skintone some. I like the skin a LOT better!
So much for angry Ripley resculpt dreams.

I guess I was hoping we might get an angry Ripley, and I don't have the heart to rip her T-shirt and mess her up more so I'll wait and see what you 'braver' guys do.
I shall bow down to your 'masterfulness' Les on the sculpt, but in the flesh it looked a little like the eyes were sculpted a little smaller and the chin had changed slightly. Still wanna she what you do with her.

I know a lot of you have wanted to see direct comps, so here you go!
It's still not a spot on Sigourney but I'm guessng tha's due to licencing issues, but she's a whole lot better than the first in my estimations... come on Les, I'm waiting to see what magic you'll work on the new one!
The new ones on the left (as if you couldn't tell!)

Ripley.jpg

Ripleyheadmulti.jpg

I don't know, I think some of the sculpt has changed, the opening between the eyelids looks tighter on the new one. Paintwise, aside from color choice, the big flop is giving her those 18 year old girls of today, ultra thin eyebrows, Sigourney's aren't like that at all. That's to me what sets this from looking like Riply, they go ultra fem with it and Sigourney, or at least Ripley, has a tomboy look, she's a beautiful woman, but her face isn't presented so feminine as these figures. She looks ready to hit the club, not kick alien ass.

Wookster, I hope you don't mind, I borrowed an image to roll out a quick digital repaint. If you want I'll take it down.

rip_repaint.jpg

Original Photo taken by Wookster

Wow, just a simple color change makes a big difference.

This certainly looks much better out of the box then the first Rip, looks like the improved paint is going across the board at HT.

I guess the guys at HT have seen some of the repaints of some fellow freaks here at the board. A good paint job DOES miracles on those HT Alien characters.

Do-able with care. The hoses would be easy but you'd have to bag or label as you take them off, the only area for concern would be the elbows and hips. As I said, I'm sure it's do-able and I've taken ALL my HT figures appart again at some point, but this will take nerves of steel and a firm steady hand!
Good to know, thx wookster.

Wow, just a simple color change makes a big difference.

This certainly looks much better out of the box then the first Rip, looks like the improved paint is going across the board at HT.

Just so you know, it wasn't just a straight darkening. I darkened the hair, then airbrushed in new iris' because if you look at the Sigourney images that Les posted, she has almost a complete circle showing, where the HT paint apps had about a 2/3 - 3/4 circle, so I cleaned that up, and I also added some body to the eyebrows to take some of the teen femininity out of them.

great "paint up" Maul!

she definitely looks better, although i'm still dissapointed that they didn't remodify her sculpt like they initially talked about.

great "paint up" Maul!

she definitely looks better, although i'm still dissapointed that they didn't remodify her sculpt like they initially talked about.

Thanks. I truly believe there have been subtle modifications to the sculpt, to which HT is not false in saying it would be a new HS since it wasn't worded, at least that anyone here stated, that it would be brand new or all new or worded in a way to indicate extreme differences. Many of us assumed an entirely new sculpt, and hoped that would mean a more fierce facial expression. All in all, considering the PL originally was going to be what it costs by itself, or we were led to think so, the inclusion of Ripley is a nice touch on HT's part, and I'm sure many like myself will enjoy that because I don't have Ripley, and since I'm not fond of the flight suit, I can probably eBay some guns and have an end of film Ripley without having to buy PL and Ripley separate.

It would make no sense for them to modify the sculpt. They've already tooled the mold, they aren't going to spend the money to retool on something for a small run like this.

The new paint is better though, although I still don't think it screams Sigourney.

I'm just happy they kicked in the free Ripley. They didn't have to.
Hmmm... that depends on your point of view; I don't think that this new Ripley is for free. I do think that they want us to belive it is though. As far as I'm concerned, when they charge my CC for the power loader, I will have paid for that new Ripley.
I remember that when they launched the power loader, there was some discussion about the price tag. I belive as a result of that (and perhaps some other reasons too), HT decided to throw in the extra 12" Ripley with a "new" headsculpt.
By all means, I've paid for the first Ripley, which I probably wouldn't have bought, if I'd known that one would have been included with the power loader. Despite the fact that the first Ripley had the pulse Rifle and a motion tracker and - a worse paint job... . But the paint job is not the issue here, since it's been pointed out several times, that the likeness is there, it just needs to be made visible with a descent paint job. Many customizers have proved it here on the board.

Back