FrankenFan's Digitorium

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankenFan

Abnormal Brain
Reaction score
These images were created in Photoshop, using Sideshow's stock product photography combined with backgrounds consisting of a variety of scanned objects and textures along with some hand-drawing.

Click on a thumbnail to view the full-size image. Your Comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged!

For more images, visit my Members Gallery.

Last edited:
I'll give you some bare bone critique Frankenfan.

1) Dracula - I love the spiderweb coming from the eyeball, though I found it just a tad too prominent. I presume the dark flecky bits are of a flock of bats. Nice Touch. The colours are sublime and nicely subdued. Just has that palid, drained of blood look. Excellent. Maybe could do with just a little more of the top of his head showing.

2) Ardeth - Looks like the scarabs have been over this one. I like the texture of the background. Has that Sandstone look. All quite obvious, but remarkably done.

3) Frankenstein - I like his colour and the chromed bolts. Especially how they appear to be reflecting his surrounds. I'm digging the jagged lightning bolts, but not the sun shining, rising sun style. Maybe it's too much or too bright. More lightning less flooding. Not sure what to make of the backdrop. I can see the mechanical nature it, but not sure whether it is to do with him being strapped down or what.

4) Nosferatu - I'm with Toe on this one. Nice and tight in close. Menacing eyeball, bloodied up fresh from the kill. Superb.

5) Buffy - The misty look, graveyard style looks great. Makes for nice depth of field. Maybe needed ever so lightly over Buffy herself, or just her arm. Yep, really like the thicker and thiner pathes of the mist. The colours, again, are nice. I like the vegetation, except the stuff on the right is playing tricks with me. As it doesn't appear as light as the stuff on the left, it make it look closer to the front, and the two sprigs disappearing behind her arm, just makes it look wrong. They'd have to go in front of her arm, so maybe get rid of them.

I'm no expert, or even know what I'm talking about. Just seeing what I like and what strikes a chord in me. Overall, these are impressive individually, and as a group work, even moreso. I bet you'll have Lonnie asking for prints if he hasn't already. You have them all nicely themed, and the subtleties of the colours really show how tasteful you are in presenting your work. Fabulous job.

Oh I just adore all of these! As I said on the Whedon thread, I really love the Buffy wallpaper, but the Nosferatu and Ardith Bay ones are superb too!

Love the close cropping on the No's version, and your use of blood brushes.
Excellent work.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a comment!

Chreecher: Special thanks for your critique! It's always interesting to me to learn how a fresh set of eyes perceive the individual elements that comprise the whole of an image. You've made some excellent observations!

The spider web in the Dracula image was a nod to the huge, omnipresent webs in his castle, and this poster, in particular:

drcl_mvpstr.jpg

Having the first few radials of the netting originate over his eye, is a bit of a cliché, I know, but it I wanted something for a foreground plane, to add some depth to the image. Plus, I thought it played into the Count's "Hyp-mo-tizig" powers. The "dark, flecky bits" are indeed supposed to be bats. The execution could probably have been better on both the bats and webbing.

The Frankenstein Monster's electrodes (bad, Creecher! :)) are supposed to be crackling with little arcs of electricity. Again, concept was there; Execition, maybe not so much. I actually toned down the pyrotechnics going on in the background, and the "mechanical" elements you mentioned are just some vague images of cables to tie-in with the electricity/lightning theme. It's interesting that you see "the sun shining, rising..." I considered a more neutral background, below, but went with the hot oranges and yellows because I felt it added a bit more excitement.

There is some mist over Buffy, on my monitor, anyway. You're right about the weeds in the lower right corner corner of the image. They are in front of Buffy and I did neglect to cut-back those two long stems disappearing behind her. I made the correction and also lowered the opacity of the weeds in front of and behind Angel and Spike. I think it helps separate the planes better and adds to the depth. Good call!

Sueworld: High praise coming from someone who turns out the caliber of work you do!

Regarding the blood on Nosferatu, I usually shy away from gore and guts, but in this case, I thought it added some impact to the in-you-face nature of the composition.

"Blood brushes?" Are you saying there is a custom brush set out there for drawing blood? That would have been a time-saver!

Thanks, again, to everyone who commented and to the rest of you anonymous "viewers" for looking!

Last edited:
...Regarding the blood on Nosferatu, I usually shy away from gore and guts, but in this case, I thought it added some impact to the in-you-face nature of the composition...

They are amazing works and I hope you don't mind that I'm using them as wallpaper on my computer... well, except the Nosferatu... that one is so lifelike, that my manager requested I not use it! High praise indeed!! :D

They are amazing works and I hope you don't mind that I'm using them as wallpaper on my computer... well, except the Nosferatu... that one is so lifelike, that my manager requested I not use it! High praise indeed!! :D
Hey, I'm flattered that you like 'em! But kudos for "amazing works" belong to Oluf W. Hartvigson, Mat Falls, Mike Hill, and Miles Teves for their terrific sculpts!

The images were created as "slides" for a screensaver running on my "play" machine, an old, 17" widescreen iMac, so you're using them quite appropriately.

As to which image is the most life-like, I have to say it's Ardeth Bey. Like Darklord Dave said, it looks like a photo of the real deal. I think Nosferatu is the best of the group, with Frankenstein's Monster being the weakest of the five — which is rather ironic as :frank is my all-time favorite monster!

Here's a rendition of the Gill Man in his natural environment (click on the image to see it full-size):

As always, your comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged! :D

very cool!

... now um .. where ya gettin the Hi-Res Creature pics? :monkey1

Excellent work. Hope you don't mind, but I saved every one. Currently using the Creature as my desktop.

Back