New Red Baron

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

creecher

I missed out on the first Red Baron. Have been after him for a while now, at a reasonable price mind you. I think this is a good move of Sideshow to make. The first one was such a good seller. I wont dilly dally this time, that's for sure. I need one to go with the Fokker DR1 I am making, and this one looks more suited to my needs too. Alls well that ends well.

Do you think the might do another Eddie? How well is he selling?

Well I knew this one was coming, and judging from the preview pic (for what it's worth) I don't regret getting the original one. I'm curious how different the costume will look. Might just get the new one as well.

Hey Creech, there's one on ebay right now, but it's out of the box and 6 days from ending, but low starting price. Does anyone have the link to the preview second baron?

Thanks for that kierbaudy. I'm onto it. Keeping my fingers crossed. As for the link. I'm having to wait for my improved newsletter to arrive. I was lucky enough to be in the chat and get a link from another chatter, which I don't have now. It's a portrait pic of the upcoming Baron wearing his leather flying helm.

I'm looking forward to this one, I had missed the first figure even when it was on sale for $20. :(

$20 OMG. :thud Now I'm in shock. I know Sideshow have it up for a second chance right now, but I can't afford their shipping.

As much as I like pilots, Eddie looks a little psychotic, so I passed on that figure. I don't know why sideshow picked that particular portrait to do.

At first I was disappointed that Sideshow decided to repeat a figure with more gear. We all know we want other WWI figures like Russians, Italians, Ottomans, Belgians, etc. The fact that the Red Baron has a strong name recognition is why they upped his gear instead of making an entirely new pilot figure. If he is completely equipted for flight, I'll buy him.

The rehash idea is pretty crappy for those of us who had already purchased the original. If this new one comes with more gear/items, that will certainly ruin any collectibility on the original. Perhaps they can offer a carded set of just these items for those of us that have the original? :dunno

By the way, since Sideshow is rereleasing old items, how about doing the same for the original Balrog, WitchKing, Orthanc, Stone Trolls and the Cave Troll statues?.... :poke

The new Red Baron comes in his flight gear, not his uniform like the first one did. It wasn't revealed if he comes with any new accessories.

Yeah, he was going for $20 at War-Toys during one of their sales, and then for about a month after the sale was over. He's long gone now. He was also going for about $20 over at Amok Time. I should've picked one up when I had the chance.

The price on this fluctuate. When it first sold out, it was pricey and around $60, but then dealers had them on sale and no one was interested, so the price went down to $20. I bought in the middle, around $35. It is a great figure because they put extra into the leather jacket and uniform.

I'm with GiGene's post - it's a weak effort on Sideshow's part to rehash an existing figure with new gear and uniform. To charge the same price on the same head sculpt and mold that's already made, and just adding new clothing and gear. I bet the price margin and profit is a pretty good one for them on something like this.
I always look forward to an addition to this great line - and the range and variety of subjects and countries represented have only been scratched at. Too bad if it's just a move to keep the line 'active', a new figure altogether would of exicited the ranks more.

Actually, now that I know what the full figure looks like I can understand why you guys are upset by this figure, I thought it would be drastically different then the first one. The picture they showed in the teaser didn't show the jacket very well and the picture of the two guys in their leather uniforms made me think that's what he'd look like. I'm still going to order mine though. I love the improvements they made!

Well I agree, seeing the full pics is really disappointing. I expected at least another uniform.
Then again I never mind people to get a new shot at a great figure, and I assure you that it is.

To me i am not worried. I wanted the original figure, and I might yet get it. The new figure blends well with what I want. If I can, I will get both. Sometimes it seems like a rip, and at others it falls into place. Cast not the first stone, but embrace what it is you actually want. I am more than happy. If I miss out on an exhorbitant Ebay sale, I can get the new. I am rapt. Two quite seperate takes of the same individual. Kudos to you Sideshow, I am glad to say, for you have taken enough abuse of recent times. Unwarranted in the bigger picture, of the scheme of things. Take your choice. Either or neither. Of course it would have helped to have hindsight. Luck of the draw. Hasty or wastety. You choose.

I have mixed feelings about this, I think it's annoying for me because for the buyers of the original figure, they will have to shell out for the same figure but nicer jacket that is fur lined and goggles. But, on the other hand, it keeps people interested. This exclusive version is likely the one that will command ebay prices and not the original or the regular version, even thugh it is just an extra stand. I don't think anyone really loses in the end. If you want to sell it, wait to sell this one. For those who missed out, they get their figure. Perhaps my utilitarian logic is flawed, but one of the red barons will be collector's choice. The only thing that really kills military figures is their edition sizes. If the regular version is 5000 and the exclusive is only an extra stand, then sideshow needs to rethink their strategy.

I think there is a point that you've all missed. While the uniform and equipment are beautiful, the figure is too tall and the sculpt doesn't really look like von Richthofen. This is rather surprising considering how much reference material there is for him. Sideshow should use the 'short' body to more closely match his actual height of 5'5". As for the face, the ITP sculpt was closer; still not perfect, but better. I 'bashed' my own custom; he's got the ITP head, a Hasblo body(not ideal, but the right height) and Sideshow gear, which I was able to find on Ebay. As a von Richthofen buff, the height and sculpt were deal breakers, though I have pre-ordered the new version; maybe I'll say it's his brother Lothar...PS

Back