"Bring me Wesley's head" Commitment thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anzik

Super Freak
Reaction score
For those unaware, a group of us are trying to get a sculpt commissioned for at least Wesley. This thread is to give us an idea of how many pieces we will be looking at getting cast at around a $30-$40 price range. If you are interested and will COMMIT to to pay we can take the total to a sculptor and see what can be done.
As of Sept 17th the list is:
Anzik Hayes
The Obsolete Man
Kain's Ancient Blade
Serpentor
Thamesvalidude

You can add me, but as I said before I'd have to see the quality of the artist in questions work before committing.

Any chance of getting Andy or Trev to do the work? :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

I didn't think so. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I don't know. We have two very influential allies in this endeavor in figuremasterLes and DarkArtist81. I doubt any sculptor wouldn't love the prospect of having an original sculpt painted by these guys.

As a Sideshow fan and a Buffy fan whose emotional attachment to the ‘verse has not wavered even with the demise of both shows, I am very interested in this, though I also have some questions/concerns. First of all, I would assume this type of project has been done before, in which case, can any of you share your experiences? Maybe I’m jaded, but for many years I collected military figures and something like this would often come up, usually for a whole figure, but I honestly never heard of one coming completely to fruition. On the contrary, I’ve heard horror stories of either customers putting money down for R&D only to have something fall through, or the customers backing out, leaving the artist holding the bag for their hard work, or some variation thereof. One would think making multiple copies of just a head would be simpler than a whole figure, so I am hoping there would be a realistically good chance of completing this commission. Still, I have a couple questions.

1. Is the intention to approach a professional sculptor and have them create a blank that would be bought by the partnership outright, then have a separate contract for casting copies? Not that the two couldn’t be the same individual for artists/casters.

2. Regardless of whether it’s a professional or a hobbyist who will do the portrait, will we still have right of refusal if the final product fails to meet reasonable expectations? Putting aside the question of what is reasonable (even though it’s a hugely important one, but it’s another can of worms), portfolios are fine, but to be fair, even wonderful sculptors can have a bad day. Not to pick on Andy because I love many of his sculpts (CSM, Hulk, etc)., but even the best can have a Willow day (sorry, Andy). Similarly, I love Trev’s work, and an added plus, I believe Trev mentioned he is a Whedonverse fan, which I always think helps more than it hurts when executing human portraits, but both these guys are busy, and it’s hard to imagine any professional, even one who’s also a fan (fingers crossed on Trev being interested, though), would take on a commission without a contract and a decent payment (I’m not in the business, but isn’t $500 a bit of a lowball estimate?) Even so, I’d still want right of refusal, no matter the artist’s credentials.

3. Does my being a partner allow me to take a head I buy for $40, and recast it to make a variant (i.e., S2 Buffy Wes vs. S5 Angel Wes). Taking this one step further, do I have a right to recast my variant and charge for copies? I guess this question is more for the benefit of the original artist. I know it would bug the hell out of me if someone took a piece I worked hard on, altered it, and sold it. Of course it’s different if the artist sold their rights to the original blank, but if so, how is ownership of the head by the partnership defined?

These are the kinds of questions that make me hesitant to just jump in and say, add me to the list. I mean, I do want a Wesley in my collection very badly. And a Gunn, Fred, Anya, Tara, Dawn, and a Faith, as played by the lovely Eliza Dukshu, to replace the man-woman official release. But I believe it’s the practical as well as business issues that are keeping this project from taking off. If whoever heads this project can clarify some of the logistics, I would be willing to commit up to $50.

Back in the other thread, Sunhoc said he would try to throw a Wes portrait together quickly just to give us an idea of what he might do with that request. I really liked that approach and would love it if we could use some similar mechanism to eliminate a lot of the guesswork that is keeping this thing from flying. Maybe if we could get enough people committed (I would think at least 12 @ $45) to buying an approved portrait, we can throw the field open for a 1-day (or 1-week) “rough” portrait submission? That way, only interested professional artists and/or skilled hobbyists would bother replying. Anyway, just some random thoughts, but in good conscience, I can’t say “Yes” yet.

If this thing happens, I'll have to be able to pay with a money order. I don't do paypal.

Count me in. The price is more than fair, and the custom work I have seen on this board is amazing. I'll be in for custom head sculpts like this until Sideshow signs a new agreement with Fox that requires them to make all the figures we want, and a special mail-away Joss Whedon figure if we collect enough proof-of-purchase stickers!:lol

I'll be in for custom head sculpts like this until Sideshow signs a new agreement with Fox that requires them to make all the figures we want

I still can't believe Sideshow started the Angel line to only make three characters, one of which was a rehash. Damn, that still burns me up. :cuss

Binky I agree with your concerns and they are things that need to be made clear. It just might be putting the cart before the horse. We need to get enough interested people to make it worthwhile. Then we need to hope a sculptor bites at the opportunity then one that meets approval. Then we can work on things like right to refuse and rough sculpt.
I'm hoping our sculptors will see this as an opportunity. Once we have our casts they will be free to market the sculpt on other Buffy sites and probably get further sales. Since there are so many sculpts that haven't been done, there is a lot of opportunity here. Granted its not Star Wars but its relatively easy money in the sense that it once the sculpt is done any extra casts are just gravy.
BTW, let me know if you sell any casts of your Willow.

Binky I agree with your concerns and they are things that need to be made clear. It just might be putting the cart before the horse. We need to get enough interested people to make it worthwhile. Then we need to hope a sculptor bites at the opportunity then one that meets approval. Then we can work on things like right to refuse and rough sculpt.

I see where you're coming from, however I wonder how many people like me are holding back from making a 'commitment' because the details are a bit fuzzy.

From what you just said, I am interpreting the setup you're proposing as, the sculptor/caster keeps their "rights" to the head (and any subsequent orders), all we are doing is guaranteeing him/her the first 10 (or more, hopefully, to keep the price down) orders so that they know doing the portrait will be worth their while in the short term/immediate future. Is this a fair generalization? I can definitely live with that setup if it is.

OK, sorry to have deliberated about this so long, but count me in for a Wesley. If there's a discount for multiple buys, I would be interested in two, in fact (depends on the price).

b

Get the slayers! We're going in after him!!

I wish I was a better sculptor because I would do one for myself and make casts for cost.

Updated list as of 9-18-07:
Anzik Hayes
The Obsolete Man
Kain's Ancient Blade
Serpentor
Thamesvalidude
Koipond
Seaward
Binky
james1976
leatherneck
DarkArtist81
wyrmn3500
abstractharmony

I'm in if the sculpt is good. Wesley's a no-brainer for me. And of course you can also put me down for a slot in darkartist81's calendar after the Wesley head arrives, 'cuz Wesley's gonna need a makeover!!!! :D

Back