What's your greatest joy in the Sideshow lines and why?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dstephan

For me it would have to be the Buffy line... and Bond... and Highlander... and Star Wars.

They are doing all the licenses that I would try to acquire if I ran a collectibles/toy company myself.

I say Buffy all the way but I do like some of the X-Files

I'd say I've had the most joy with the Modern Horror line. The figures in this line have never been a disappointment. Well, maybe the lack of head articulation on the first Jason and Freddy from F vs. J, but overall this is a fantastic line of figures.
:rock
Second would be Hellboy. The Hellboy figure has it's problems, but the rest of the figures in the line are great.

Third is Platoon, I have most of the figures in this line and they are all exceptional.

Fourth is Buffy. I'm not a gonzo Buffy fan but I enjoy the show. And with the exception of big heads on some, most of the figures in this line are exceptional.

But what would top my list would be Sideshow Terminator, Aliens, Star Trek, and Star Wars 1/6 figures. :drool

The Universal Monsters are my favourite too. The Creature from the Black Lagoon, being my favourite of that line. I just love it. The innovative rubber skin almost has that slimey feel to it. It just looks awesome with his big hands and feet. The transition of sculpting to the rubber is just great. I'm not disappointed with any of the figures in this line. I am anxiously waiting for the Metulant Mutant, and expect that Ygor will be making an appearance between the SDDC and spooktacular. After that, who knows but there is scope for more figures, and I hope Sideshow decide to continue with this exceptional body of work.

The Buffy line is a Godsend! It's so good I am almost at a point where I am going to sell off my 6" figures. If they would just put more out it would be a no-brainer.

I also love the Hellboy line despite what most people say about HB himself, I dig him!

And the 1/4 scale Marvel stuff is simple stunning!

Hmmmmm.. Right now its the Star Wars line, this is the line that will give everybody else a run for their money.

Its hard to point too any one thing with Sideshow, I pretty much collect across the board or anything I see I like. From Military to LOTR to SW to History thats one of the best things about this company so many things to choose from. And they keep you on your toes with releases or trying to figure out how am I going to get this one also!:lol

The LOTR line is what got me into Sideshow to begin with, and it has by far been my greatest love in collectibles. :gandalf

... But I am truly loving the Buffy line - awesome figures, and a little *cough* lighter on the wallet, so no regret involved there! :stake

There are many, but two that always make me smile are the Wolfman and Frankenstein Pozers!

While I have to admit the Buffy and the yet to arrive Highlander line are high on my list, even though I rag on sideshow for at least two of the less than stellar figures in the Pre-said line. I have to go old school and say the Boris Karloff original Frankenstein monster figure is my all time fav. Perfect for it's time, in sculpting, costume and all around coolness. Wolfman follows, Dracula soon behind then I'd have to place GD Buffy, Angel and Spike. Even though there have been a few clear misses, Willow, Faith, and PG inflate-a-head Buffy, I have to agree in general SIdeshow does realistic versions of the characters like no one else.

I'd have to say the LOTR line (of course) and in terms of figures, I'm really happy with the Hellboy and Star Wars lines. Now all they need is an Indiana Jones line....

Without a doubt,it s Bond for me.The most successful franchise in cinematic history had been unbelievably poorly serviced in terms of action figures before Sideshow snatched it up.My favourite is Q,despite the dodgy briefcase because it s a sculpt with true character and such an obscure release.This is followed by "Thunderball" Bond,showing Sideshow at their very best with his sculpt,clothing and intricate 1/6 gadgetry.

It s also introduced me to other interests,such as the old Universal horror flicks.

My greatest joy is also my biggest disappointment: the Classic Universal Monsters line!

dd.jpg

Without a doubt, the Weta Lord of the Rings line. Which will be replaced by the 1/4 Scale Sideshow Lord of the Rings line as soon as it's announced. :rock

There are many, but two that always make me smile are the Wolfman and Frankenstein Pozers!

The Pozers line was truly unique, and served as a developmental stepping stone to the current 1/4-scale Premium Format!

Consider this, you got wire-armatures, fabric-clothing and sculpted portraits & appendages (albeit vinyl, as opposed to polystone) at a mammoth 24-inch scale! Best of all, Pozers only cost about a tenth of the current Premium Formats! And they pretty much visually dominate when displayed with their Premium Format kin, IMO.

Please, Bring back the Pozers! I especially want a Dracula!

LOTR polystone. Across the board, still the finest overall set of collectibles of ANY company out there. Not everything is a home run (and which company can ever claim that anyway?), but even their non-home runs are at least 2 to 3 notches above all the others.

The Pozers line was truly unique...
That's what I mean when I say that the UM line is my greatest joy and my biggest disappointment.

I miss the sense of whimsy and variety that products like the Pozers, Little Big Heads, Wrestlers, Shredders, Glow figures, bobble-heads, shot glasses, etc., brought to line. I'm all for the "realistic" interpretations the 1/6 and PF lines deliver but, I've got a sense of humor, too. I think that's one of the reasons the exclusive Invisible Man figure was so well-received — it was fun!

FO99 is right: The Pozers always get a bigger reaction than the PF figures from people who see my collection. I'd love to see that line resurrected!

The core of my SSC collection is the Universal Monsters line. The one series I've never tired of or been dissapointed in. The only one I remain a relative completist in. I Never fell in love with the silver screen editions so I've never really aquired any of them. Anyway, I think they do a fabulous job on these and the characters hold a special place for me. And it's pretty obvious the SSC kids like them too. From the first 8" figure series I picked up at Target I was hooked. Beautiful sculpts and paint details, the best I'd ever seen. And when the 12" Frankenstiens Monster came out I was ecstatic. Still one of my favorite figures. Just sorry SSC doesn't have any brick and mortar presence to speak of anymore. If those first figures had been marketed as the newer ones are I'm not sure I'd even be posting on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back