A look at the new DC Direct 13" base body

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dstephan

A look at the new DC Direct 13" base body

Julius Marx has some photos of the base body to be used for the DC superheroes. Looks pretty good, but this seems to imply that Batman Begins is on the same body as Superman. I don't know that I'm okay with that.

Action Figure Insider - DC 13" body

I guess it depends on the interpertation cause Batman and Supes tend to be the same size in must comics except JLA....Its nice change to see 12 inch muslce body, but I agree for Batman Begins, a christian bale type body may be better...

It's a nice figure for a superhero base body. I think it will work great for a monster like Superman. He's a big guy and in a 1/6th articulated figure that bodies about as muscular and large as I can imagine you'd want to go. I think it's going to work great.
But I think it will make the "Batman Begin's" figure look kind of funky with 1/6th figures. Christian is just gonna' be a little large in every dimension. Add the armor, the cowl and boots on that figure and it's going to make it HUGE.
And I agree with something else mentioned in the review. This body will work very well for some of the other big guys including ones of the bare chested variety like Martian Manhunter and Hawkman. Hope they get around to offering them.
It would be nice if they would offer a SLIGHTLY less muscular and shorter figure for characters like Green Lantern, classic Batman etc.. And I'm assuming some of that stuff is really coming and not a rumor. I think they would look better together this way although I imagine they plan on using the 13" body for everything. Might need to do some surgery on those guys.

Oh by the way Azog, in current continuity your right, Batman and Superman are nearly the same size. Superman 6'3" and Batman 6'2". Before the latest "Official Guide to the DCU" Superman was 6'5" so I'm going with that continuity for my 13" action figure. I'm pretending I didn't get the new book.
This stuff changes all the time. When they revamped Wonder Woman a little while back they wanted her to be 6'5" and very mediteranean looking and not in a Monica Belucci sorta' way. They gave her a bump on the bridge of her nose and made her skin quite dark. Recently cooler heads have prevailed and she's 5'10" and "hot" again. She should be the most beautiful woman in the world according to her origin.

Not bad, although it looks like the double jointed elbows and knees are a tad restricted. I don't mind the small feet, since it works better with boots, but what the hell is up with the Schwarzenegger calf implants?

Michael
MWC

Thanks for the link D!
I've been thinking about this since I heard Batman Begins 13" was starting to ship this week.
The sculpt looks absolutely great in my opinion, I love the arms! And it looks to have all the usual 12" articulation. But it's way too tall for a Bale Batman figure. at 13" tall, it's also out of scale with other 1/6 figures. I've heard that even with the short Bat ears of the BB design, it's about 14" tall with a head.
The only thing I dislike about the DC Direct body design is the flow of the upper arm muscles because of the way they did the upper arm twist joint. If the joint was at the top of the bicep like Marvel Legends figures, a bowl like joint cupping a ball like shape at the shoulders, it would have looked much better, but it might have limited movement when at the sides of the figure because the upper arm muscles would be hitting the latissimus muscles of the trunk when rotated. Maybe they should have had the upper arm twist at the top of the elbow like Cy girls have?
:dunno
But this will make a great Superman figure! :banana

I've been looking at some better pictures of the Medicom Batman figure recently, and I Think it does have a cloth or cloth like costume over the body. But then again, so does the Medicom Trinity figure, which is still a statue. I'd prefer the Medicom Batman version if I knew for sure that it was a fully articulated figure like the DC Direct one. But I'd hate to wait for some reviews when it ships, by then it might be too late to get one reasonably priced.

Well, the body is definitely "muscled" for a superhero, something that has been lacking in 1:6. But at 13" I'm forced to wonder how did the characters fit into society while in their secret identities? They would tower over all the regular folks they were supposed to be one of. Villains would have easily picked the heroes out just by following the "regular" guys that were in town. Then again......a simple pair of glasses fooled everyone in Metropolis. :p
It will make for a good Jonn Jonn'z as he was depicted taller usually. What are the chances they'll be offered as a nude/loose body though? :\

I'm eagerly awaiting my Batman from Marc - but with the armor and everything he'll be bigger than Superman if they're on the same body. I'm still a bit disappointed they went with 13" bodies, but perhaps a SSC body for Bale might be workable as long as the armor fits okay.

As for the Medicom - buy it when it's first offered. If you don't like it you'll probably have to problem unloading it for a profit. Look at what the Spider-mans are going for now...
(a great figure by the way and the main reason I'm getting the Medicom Bats as well).

I don't know if any of you guys picked up the USC Football players DML put out. If you didn't you might want to see if you can find them around still for cheap. They did a taller more athletic body, around the same twelve and a quarter inch tall figure as SSC's. I think it would work very well for most superhero figures. I bought a few for future projects and wish I'd gotten a few more. Among other things I will use it for a "Terminator" figure one of these days and hopefully a WWII "Ultimate Captain America" project I'm working on. It's a cool body and well worth the fifteen to twenty dollars you can usually find them for.

My Reeve Superman is on a Dragon football player. However they are much less articulated than other bodies - almost as bad as an old Joe.

Okay, I've been shooting and playing around with the DCD Bats for the last hour or so. And I simple can't think over and over again - I paid eighty bucks for this?

He's not awful, but he's sure as hell not an eighty dollar sixth scale figure. Anyone here see the movie yet in an early preview kind of thing? I'm asking because a) there are two sizes of batarangs, and both are small. Well, one's small and one's itsy bitsy. Is that true to the film? What's he do with the small one's, put somebodies eye out? And b) is there any sort of weird circuitry in the gloves? There's white paint on the palms, and I'm trying to figure out if it's supposed to be there, or a screw up.

David, you have one right? Any white paint?

Michael
MWC

DCD bod

Where are you guys finding the DML football guys?? I've been looking since they came out, but everyone was always sold out by the time I got there. Anyone have pics of that bod?

Re: DCD bod

If your looking for the black Football Player in the White Jersey It's available here under Dragon boxed figures:
www.monkeydepot.com/merchant/indexmain.htm

Found another of the same kind here:
www.gijoeelite.com/f_display.asp?strDisplayName=NewDragon

Here's another one of the white Jersey:
www.voyagertoys.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=4331

And here is one in The RED Jersey! The only one I've found so far:
www.voyagertoys.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=4330&ImageSize=Large

Okay, I've been shooting and playing around with the DCD Bats for the last hour or so. And I simple can't think over and over again - I paid eighty bucks for this?

Ouch, I guess that'll lead to an most unfavorable review later on. I best start saving for that Medicom Batman Begins figure.

I don't have him yet - maybe Monday.

I picked up my Footballers at Echobase - bought a couple (being a USC alumnus) .

My Reeve Superman is on a Dragon football player. However they are much less articulated than other bodies - almost as bad as an old Joe.

the only joint they are missing is the swivel ankle joint. which is no big deal , as the thigh has a swivel joint.

that DC body is nice.....except for....

1. mid torso joint looks bad
2. useless mid calf joint
3. bad joint at the bicep...should of been at the bottom of the deltoid.
4. bad wrist joint.

but this would be a cool figure to have nudes of.

the only joint they are missing is the swivel ankle joint. which is no big deal , as the thigh has a swivel joint.
It's been a while since I looked at them naked, but I'd swear the footballers don't have the double hinge at the knees and elbows, nor a mid torso joint.

I art lazy, so here's a cut and paste from the MWD:

I was wondering what the figure looked like nekkid. I actually recently purchased the DC Direct Batman Begins figure (but am awaiting its delivery) and started having seconds thoughts shortly afterward. I completely forgot about the Medicom figure, which will probably be more in scale, and then discovered (thanks to a post on the OSW Forums) that the Direct figure was even taller than expected. My last hope for keeping the figure was for a possible Lou Ferrigno "Incredible Hulk" custom, but the sculpt is too stylized and unrealistic. For a costumed superhero figure, however, it looks quite good. I may just keep it around, just in case.

After the splendid review on Ebert & Roeper for "Batman Begins" (Two thumbs way up) I thought I should pick up a figure now (being a big Bats fan) rather than risk finding it later selling at a higher price. So I ordered the DC Direct figure, completely forgetting that I had just recently seen Medicom's own BB figure. While Med's figure appears to suffer from Sideshow syndrome (head appears out of scale compared with the body), I would have preferred to wait to see the finished product. If it turns out well, justifying its hefty price tag (well, no, that's impossible), I may just get rid of the Direct version seeing how it won't come with ungloved hands, leaving me without a use for it for any custom project ideas I have yet.

I e-mailed DC Direct or something a long time ago asking if they intended to sell the body alone but never heard back from them. I'd still like to see that done.

Those calves look out of place, for sure. Don't forget, Adam has Batman for sale too.

Batman Begins is probably 1 of, if not THE best comic book to
movie adaptation... EVER! If I were you guys, I'd go in thinking
that it was really going to suck so the impact of how good it
is REALLY affects you!

There are different size baterangs (though they don't explain
why... well you could sort of come to your own conclusion)

& the gloves do have electrocups on the palms.

*ss*

It's been a while since I looked at them naked, but I'd swear the footballers don't have the double hinge at the knees and elbows, nor a mid torso joint.

he's got all the articulation of a regular dragon figure, except at the ankle.

my only complaint about this body is the hands....i would of preferred bendy hands.

Back