ROBOTECH coming to the Big Screen!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The ill Jedi

ILLest of 'em all!!
Reaction score
Toby Maguire has acquired the Movie rights, it looks like we'll be getting more 80's Giant F'N Robot goodness soon!! :rock

robbbbotech.jpg

Also, check out the last bit in bold. :rock
Hollywood Reporter said:
Maguire, WB attack the big screen with 'Robotech'

After slipping on a mask for Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire might be slipping into a giant robot for "Robotech."

After a lengthy negotiation, Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up the rights to bring anime classic "Robotech," which featured giant robots known as mechas, to the big screen. Maguire is producing through his Maguire Entertainment banner and is eyeing the lead role in what the studio plans on being a tentpole sci-fi franchise.

"We are very excited to bring 'Robotech' to the big screen," Maguire said. "There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film."

Drew Crevello also is producing through his Supercool Hollywood BigTime Prods. Craig Zahler ("The Brigands of Rattleborge") has been tapped to write the screenplay.

"Robotech" was a cartoon series during the 1980s from Harmony Gold USA and Tatsunoko Prods. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

Frank Agrama of rights-holder Harmony Gold will exec produce; Jason Netter will serve in a producer capacity.

The success of DreamWorks/Paramount's $311 million-grossing "Transformers" has other studios looking to assemble a giant robot movie of their own. Last month, Regency picked up 1980s Japanese anime series "Voltron," with Mark Gordon attached to produce. Ironically, Warners had the first giant robot movie back in 1999: Brad Bird's animated feature "The Iron Giant."

I would love a kick ass Robotech movie!

The last part about Voltron is pretty old news that has been discussed already though.

This is awesome news......I love Robotech. Hopefully Tobey is planning on making himself Rick not Roy. I don't think he could pull off either though

someone has to say it.

the sh** is going to hit the fan if the robots look any thing close to the original show

there I said it.

ill Jedi - thank you. You made the end of a crappy day working at Wal*Mart fade away with this news.
I have been a Robotech fan since it first appeared. Heck I'm even proud I even have the crappy 12" fashion dolls (and most of the outfits) they released in the 80's. :D
I just hope Tobey gets Rick Hunters hair right. . .

***** * *************ing**************************df*d* * ** ********************* * * ** *********** ** *************************** ** * * * * *

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats ****ing awesome!!!!!! i think a just wet my pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

That IGN article is interesting. I like all their pics except for Tobey as Rick and Gyllenhaal as Max. Neither really fit as far as I'm concerned. Either way, I'll be happy to see this brought to the big screen. It will be interesting to see the types of choices they make as far as mecha design and story. I love Robotech, but I don't think a faithful adaption would have the general audience appeal that a tent-pole summer movie needs.

This is excellent news. I was very much against the Transformers movie after the preview. Boy, was I wrong! I am ready to fully back this film.

I can see Tobey as Rick Hunter as long as he has good chemistry with whomever plays Lynn Minmay.

How about Maggie Q for Lynn Minmay? She may be too mature but damn is she fine!

I also demand a strong Roy Focker, maybe Viggo Mortensen or Eric Bana.

Can't wait to see the giant Zentraedi, I love Breetai.

ill Jedi - thank you. You made the end of a crappy day working at Wal*Mart fade away with this news.
I have been a Robotech fan since it first appeared...
You're welcome!! :)

I too am a huge Robotech fan, have been since it first aired in the 80's. :rock

How about Maggie Q for Lynn Minmay? She may be too mature but damn is she fine!

I also demand a strong Roy Focker, maybe Viggo Mortensen or Eric Bana.
Maggie Q is beautiful, I wouldn't mind seeing her as Minmay.

Roy Fokker was a young, handsome hot shot, Viggo and Bana would definitely be a bit old and too strong for that role. I still think Nathan Fillion would be perfect, he even has the hair down, all they'd have to do is give it a bit of a blond tone to it.

I always thought Roy was a bit older. Definitely a hotshot, but it seemed he was in his mid to late 30s. Fillion would be a good choice, though.

You're welcome!! :)

I too am a huge Robotech fan, have been since it first aired in the 80's. :rock

Maggie Q is beautiful, I wouldn't mind seeing her as Minmay.

Roy Fokker was a young, handsome hot shot, Viggo and Bana would definitely be a bit old and too strong for that role. I still think Nathan Fillion would be perfect, he even has the hair down, all they'd have to do is give it a bit of a blond tone to it.

I would love Nathan Fillion as Roy, but the young hot shot is Rick Hunter, not Roy Fokker.
Roy is no less daring than Rick but he is supposed to be older, 30's or so. Plus, I can't see Tobey Maguire calling Nathan Fillion "older brother." They are practically the same age! Or, they look pretty close in the age dept.

If Rick was being played by someone younger, like say Shia LaBeouf or Daniel Radcliffe, then Nathan Fillion could "fill" the part. But, if Maguire is going to play the lead, it will probably be Rick and we would need an older Roy and I think Viggo or Eric Bana would be fit the bill.

I would love Nathan Fillion as Roy, but the young hot shot is Rick Hunter, not Roy Fokker.
Roy is no less daring than Rick but he is supposed to be older, 30's or so. Plus, I can't see Tobey Maguire calling Nathan Fillion "older brother." They are practically the same age! Or, they look pretty close in the age dept.

If Rick was being played by someone younger, like say Shia LaBeouf or Daniel Radcliffe, then Nathan Fillion could "fill" the part. But, if Maguire is going to play the lead, it will probably be Rick and we would need an older Roy and I think Viggo or Eric Bana would be fit the bill.
Yeah, I see what you mean, but we wouldn't want Roy Fokker looking too old. I like Shia and Daniel, I just wouldn't like them for this movie, so if I had to settle for anything I'd take Viggo or Eric Bana.

Toby Maguire has acquired the Movie rights, it looks like we'll be getting more 80's Giant F'N Robot goodness soon!! :rock

This is actually a sad bit of news for me; not because I don't want to see a spectacular live-action rendition of Robotech, but because its been a dream of mine that I'd one day be the one to make such a movie. An unrealistic goal, to be sure, but one I've had for over a decade. My one 9-minute Super 8 film made during my semester at the Portland Film Center certainly didn't propel me to A-list director status like I hoped. :lol

Well good for Warner Bros and Tobey Maquire, he'd actually make a pretty decent Rick Hunter. I hope they do a great job.

This is actually a sad bit of news for me; not because I don't want to see a spectacular live-action rendition of Robotech, but because its been a dream of mine that I'd one day be the one to make such a movie...
I know what you mean, Transformers is gone, now Robotech and Voltron is coming too. Soon there won't be any cool 80's cartoons to make movies of. :(

Pitu said he wants to make a GoBots movie, I don't think it will be that good. :D

Back