So who makes the prop replicas now?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bidge1000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that we know that the Master Replicas situation is unsalvageable, who do we think is going to step up?

Sideshow seems to be going after 1:1 scale items in a big way now, what with the droids and the new Predator stuff, could it be them?

Or is QMX going to go after the licence. It's run by one of the founding members of Master Replicas, he has friends in high places and also has the contacts at the factories? I am so sad that MR has lost the license, I feel like if QMX got it, it would still feel the same. Probably wishful thinking.

D

Steve Dymzo (SD Studios) founded Master Replicas which was bought out by Corgi and they seemed to be going downhill ever since the merger and after Dymzo left (or fired from what I have heard) so he formed QMX but their licensing and products to date has been pretty weak. $tar War$ would be just the brand they need to give their company recognition but I doubt they would pony up the cost of the licensing fees from Luca$$film and justify a profit margin versus cost expenditures which Master Replicas couldn't negotiate. The license is seemingly in limbo but with Sideshow's good relationship they may get it but their capabilities to produce high-end machined props is questionable. It will be interesting to see how the AVP2 props sell for them but I would rather a company with a long history of specialized prop making like QMX get the license for this.

I don't think sales for the AVP2 props would be much judge whethere Sideshow could make good prop replicas or not. People aren't buying the AVP2 props right now, most likely, based on the quality they think Sideshow can't do, but based on how much they care about having a replica of those items. I was tempted by the Predator mask, but ultimately, with no Predator head and no ability to wear the mask, I didn't see much use in owning it. What will tell ya about Sideshows prop replica abilities is testimony from those who have the Terminator weapons.

I will make them! I will make the replicas. Although I do not know how. :frodo

The decision on who makes the prop replicas will be an interesting one.

The license may also be broken up. Replicas to one company, Stuidio Scale to a second, and helmets to a third. I can see Sideshow picking up the Helmet license, but am Unsure who would produce the others.

Part of the problem is that replica prop collecting a small portion of the market. This was shown when Master Replicas made the RotS sabers at 4000+ edition sizes.. And they hung around for a LONG time. A new company *could* make the lightsabers all over again, but who would buy them? I sure wouldn't be interested in re-purchasing the ones I already have. Master Replicas sabers were of great quality, and display beautifully.

I don't think QMx could do it right now. They've just recently started getting into the swing of things and while they can do the paper replicas, they've got a bit to go before being able to do the regular full replicas like sabers and stuff.

I think Sideshow could pretty well do the Studio Scale replicas, but I'm not so sure about sabers. Althoug those are almost done to death anyways. I'd like to see someone take up the helmets and Sideshow the SS stuff, I can't think of anything else I'd like.

The decision on who makes the prop replicas will be an interesting one.

The license may also be broken up. Replicas to one company, Stuidio Scale to a second, and helmets to a third. I can see Sideshow picking up the Helmet license, but am Unsure who would produce the others.

Part of the problem is that replica prop collecting a small portion of the market. This was shown when Master Replicas made the RotS sabers at 4000+ edition sizes.. And they hung around for a LONG time. A new company *could* make the lightsabers all over again, but who would buy them? I sure wouldn't be interested in re-purchasing the ones I already have. Master Replicas sabers were of great quality, and display beautifully.

If they made them more affordable, you could hit consumers that MR was out of range for. Plus, by now, you've had a new generation of high end collectors come along. When MR did the AOTC sabers, that stuff was way out of my budget, I was in college, didn't have the money, now I work and make my own way and do what I want. I'd love to get a 1:1 Darth Maul, AOTC/TPM Obi-Wan, and Version 1 ROTJ Luke saber, all of which I missed when this first started and I'm sure plenty of others did as well that now could afford them at retail cost. As long as ES was kept low, unlike the ROTS scenario.

One of the things that Master Replicas started was the 'CE' line. Open Edition Sabers with a price point sub $200. Full sized accurate replicas, but with cheaper materials, a simple stand, no plaque.

They only made one, the Qui-Gon, as people screamed bloody murder when they announced it. (I wanted a Vader RotJ CE for a Vader costume.)

A new company could do that, and do moderately well.

However, the money makers for MR were not the 1:1 LE replicas, but the Force FX's, and the minis sabers.

Isn't Hasbro going to be doing the FX sabers? Perhaps they could start a collectibles division to do higher end stuff.

The reason the FX and minis were their big success is because the FX sabers offer badass collectibles, but also, you pretty much get a full scale saber like the regular prop (except in cases like ROTS Obi-Wan and ROTJ Luke) with a light up feature, cool sounds, and 1/3 the cost of the LE sabers, and the minis are great because they don't take up much room, still work nicely as display items, and cost 1/10 of a full scale saber.

I agree, the CE line showed you could come down in price, and I can't imagine the display cases really need to be too expensive either for the nicer style of the LEs, so someone could do this.

I think the real question right now is who will make them, but will anyone make prop replicas after MR is totally finished.

Personally, I don't think another company could just step in and start doing what MR did. I don't think Sideshow is capable of doing the studio scales or the 1:1 lightsaber props. It's a shame but I think this is the end.

I don't want cheaper versions made of the same exact props that were already produced by MR. The CE line bombed for a good reason. :monkey1

Personally, I don't think another company could just step in and start doing what MR did. I don't think Sideshow is capable of doing the studio scales or the 1:1 lightsaber props. It's a shame but I think this is the end.

I don't want cheaper versions made of the same exact props that were already produced by MR. The CE line bombed for a good reason. :monkey1

I really hope that this is not the end, it's so sad. I know it sounds geeky but I have all the signature edition pieces except the Falcon and it really feels like your holding a piece of film history, knowing the actor who played the character has actually been involved.

I know that QMX have only done paper replicas at the mo, but they have a lot of replicas 'lined up'. This could be because they are getting the factories and distribution all set up. Once and if that's in place, they might get the licence. Please don't let this be the end??

As for another company releasing all of the sabers again, I would not buy into these. OH PLEASE DONT LET THIS BE THE END?

D

Truly there are a lot of talented people that make their own. Try surfing around replica prop forum and check out the masterpieces some people create. I myself own 5 1:1 scale light sabers none of which were made by MR yet all look great.

I completely agree. Master Replicas wasn't perfect, but they did a damn fine job IMHO and I don't think Sideshow or any other company could take over the props license and do as good a job as MR did. I haven't read enough about it to know who is at fault for the end of this relationship, MR or LFL(although my guess would be LFL), but it's a huge loss to Star Wars prop collectors. :monkey2

The end of MR doing LFL properties was that LFL had conditions for the contract renewal recently, and MR didn't agree with them, LFL wouldn't flex so MR said ok we're done.

Truly there are a lot of talented people that make their own. Try surfing around replica prop forum and check out the masterpieces some people create. I myself own 5 1:1 scale light sabers none of which were made by MR yet all look great.

wow sounds great, any pictures? Do you have links to where you got them from? Is the pricepoint higher because they are one offs?

Really interested in this:monkey5:monkey5

D

wow sounds great, any pictures? Do you have links to where you got them from? Is the pricepoint higher because they are one offs?

Really interested in this:monkey5:monkey5

D

Yup. There's a couple people on the RPF, and on the MR Rebelscum forums that do customs. I have a Luke ROTJ v1 Hero thats a custom. Looks real pretty.

The odd thing is, is that the customs tend to be expensive, around $300 give or take. Depending on the market for the MR's you may find MR's cheaper.

The end of MR doing LFL properties was that LFL had conditions for the contract renewal recently, and MR didn't agree with them, LFL wouldn't flex so MR said ok we're done.

Actually, the real "villain" here is neither LFL or MR, but Corgi corporate.

If Luca$film was smart they'd just open up their own official prop replicas division and make them themselves. I mean, who better to make completely authentic and accurate prop replicas then the guys who made them for the films? We have Luca$Arts, Luca$Books, etc. why not Luca$Props? Makes sense to me plus they would be the real deal.

If Luca$film was smart they'd just open up their own official prop replicas division and make them themselves. I mean, who better to make completely authentic and accurate prop replicas then the guys who made them for the films? We have Luca$Arts, Luca$Books, etc. why not Luca$Props? Makes sense to me plus they would be the real deal.

genius!!!!!

But can they be bothered?

D

Back