Get Smart

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm skeptical, I loved this show when I was little watching it on Nick at Nite. I even used to pretend to be Maxwell Smart. So I'm really hoping it turns out well, at the very least I hope they are respectful of it and don't make a farce of it. Which is ironic since the show was a farce of spy shows. :lol Hopefully if its a miss, it'll only be by that much. :monkey3

Hey Rick!

There was a panel for this at Comic-Con and Steve Carell was there along with the writers, etc.

The clips looked good and funny. They promised to not rape it, but give homage to Adams.

So, here's to hoping... :duff

5.gif

I love Carrell, he can do no wrong (well, maybe Evan Almighty was wrong...). But I saw the panel at SDCC and was pretty impressed. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid and it seems like they're treating it with some respect as well as the ubiquitous fart/vomit jokes common to modern comedy.

The Rock seemed to be very funny, Anne Hathaway is gorgeous (although I had a crush on Barbara Feldon back in the day), and Carrell doesn't try to imitate Adams. It could definitely work.

The clips looked good and funny. They promised to not rape it, but give homage to Adams.

So, here's to hoping... :duff

5.gif

Nice to see you out and about Sam. :wave :duff

You guys make me slightly envious, being there at the Con, with so much going on that you didn't start a thread on this yourselves. Still, it's great to hear your positive outlooks. Even the originals never recaptured that essence in the Nude Bomb remake. I don't really expect it to have that Mel Brooks flavour either, but it'd be good enough for me if it makes me laugh, and this version looks to be promising in that respect.

I LOVE the old show.

I just hope this movie doesnt rape my childhood:rolleyes:

Right with you on this, Get Smart was one of my favorite shows as a kid, it was a special privilege to stay up late and watch it, I always pushed to watch the ending, no matter how many times I watched, I always laughed at him getting shut out of the doors. Don Adams IS Maxwell smart, but I think the dumb humor spirit that made the show good is still a strong form of humor in most successful comedies today, and Stever Carell is a talented comedian. Don will remain Maxwell and the old series will never be topped, but I think this film has a strong potential to give us some more Maxwell Smart hijinx.

I just don't see it doing well. The original came during the spy craze of the 60's, and was able to spoof so much of those shows because everyone knew them. In today's "no attention span" atmosphere, I just don't see how they can make it topical and funny at the same time... besides, only Don Adams is Maxwell Smart... and that's that! :D

I love Carrell, he can do no wrong (well, maybe Evan Almighty was wrong...). But I saw the panel at SDCC and was pretty impressed. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid and it seems like they're treating it with some respect as well as the ubiquitous fart/vomit jokes common to modern comedy.

I'm not so sure about that any more. After I read the latest over at WouldYouBelieve.com, it sounds more like they are trying to put on a show of feigned respect, but in reality the original creative team (and the original show's concept) have been all but ignored. Read the "NEW" section for details of how Mel, Buck and Leonard have been treated.

I saw something about this the other day and was dumbfounded. I think as Lonnie pointed out the feel of the series is so far removed from the present culture that it would be hard pressed not to suck and will most likely be unbearable.

I'd predict something along the lines of Martin in the Pink Panther bad... but I could always be wrong.

The new trailer is up. I'm not a big fan of movies based on old tv series, but I think this looks really good. Carell seems just right.

Yay, it worked when I retried it. It actually looks funny, but I don't know if I'll like it or not as being Get Smart.

Anything with Anne Hathaway peaks my attention, I can't wait to see her sweater stretchers in just about anything (except those period pieces :monkey4) I like Steve Carell but feel hes getting too close to that annoying overhyped and overpraised level like Will Farrell or Jim Carrey achieved so quickly where they are funny but really not Gods of Comedy like people make them out to be. Jack Black was headed that way and in some ways Seth Rogen is on that track. Back on track though I'm willing to give it a shot but apparently the studios aren't, the sequel is already a DVD Direct piece (I believe shot at the same time....) assuming that they don't think it'll do that well to produce a Theater Sequel....

I never thought Steve was a funny, just like Will Farrell and Jim Carrey.

I remember the old Get Smart movie with the nude bomb. That movie rocked.

I'm not so sure about that any more. After I read the latest over at WouldYouBelieve.com, it sounds more like they are trying to put on a show of feigned respect, but in reality the original creative team (and the original show's concept) have been all but ignored. Read the "NEW" section for details of how Mel, Buck and Leonard have been treated.
yes this guy over at wouldyoubelieve knows what he is talking about. this movie will be about as good as any other vintage tv show turned into a modern movie. don adams is maxwell smart. he's the main reason i watch this show plus the new movie doesnt even have "the craw" so how good can it be.:lol

The new trailer is up. I'm not a big fan of movies based on old tv series, but I think this looks really good. Carell seems just right.
I'll admit that while I am a Steve Carrell fan, I wasn't too optimistic about this movie. But, I saw the full trailer over the weekend and I think it's gonna be a winner! I'm really liking the cast too...Anne Hathaway. :drool

Just got back from seeing the flick. It was really really funny. I caught myself laughing about 20-25 times out loud in the theaters. Plus Steve Carell was there for a little Q & A and he was one funny dude. PLUS, Anne Hathaway is freaking gorgeous. There is one scene where she's in a robe and she turns around with it open....going to have to wait for the DVD and have the pause button.

OH, I have never seen an episode of the TV Series, so I dont know how much or if any if the film took from the series

Last edited:
Back