PDA

View Full Version : Get Smart

creecher
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/getsmart/trailer1/

What do you think? Will they recapture the magic? Will they produce their own?

King Darkness
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I LOVE the old show.

I just hope this movie doesnt rape my childhood:rolleyes:

Cocoboloboy
08-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I predict a crapfest. You just can't beat Adams.

Agent0028
08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm skeptical, I loved this show when I was little watching it on Nick at Nite. I even used to pretend to be Maxwell Smart. So I'm really hoping it turns out well, at the very least I hope they are respectful of it and don't make a farce of it. Which is ironic since the show was a farce of spy shows. :lol Hopefully if its a miss, it'll only be by that much. :monkey3

GrueSam
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey Rick!

There was a panel for this at Comic-Con and Steve Carell was there along with the writers, etc.

The clips looked good and funny. They promised to not rape it, but give homage to Adams.

So, here's to hoping... :duff

http://bestsmileys.com/waving/5.gif

Darklord Dave
08-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I love Carrell, he can do no wrong (well, maybe Evan Almighty was wrong...). But I saw the panel at SDCC and was pretty impressed. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid and it seems like they're treating it with some respect as well as the ubiquitous fart/vomit jokes common to modern comedy.

The Rock seemed to be very funny, Anne Hathaway is gorgeous (although I had a crush on Barbara Feldon back in the day), and Carrell doesn't try to imitate Adams. It could definitely work.

creecher
08-10-2007, 09:06 PM
The clips looked good and funny. They promised to not rape it, but give homage to Adams.

So, here's to hoping... :duff

http://bestsmileys.com/waving/5.gif

Nice to see you out and about Sam. :wave :duff

You guys make me slightly envious, being there at the Con, with so much going on that you didn't start a thread on this yourselves. Still, it's great to hear your positive outlooks. Even the originals never recaptured that essence in the Nude Bomb remake. I don't really expect it to have that Mel Brooks flavour either, but it'd be good enough for me if it makes me laugh, and this version looks to be promising in that respect.

MaulFan
08-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I LOVE the old show.

I just hope this movie doesnt rape my childhood:rolleyes:

Right with you on this, Get Smart was one of my favorite shows as a kid, it was a special privilege to stay up late and watch it, I always pushed to watch the ending, no matter how many times I watched, I always laughed at him getting shut out of the doors. Don Adams IS Maxwell smart, but I think the dumb humor spirit that made the show good is still a strong form of humor in most successful comedies today, and Stever Carell is a talented comedian. Don will remain Maxwell and the old series will never be topped, but I think this film has a strong potential to give us some more Maxwell Smart hijinx.

lcummins
08-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I just don't see it doing well. The original came during the spy craze of the 60's, and was able to spoof so much of those shows because everyone knew them. In today's "no attention span" atmosphere, I just don't see how they can make it topical and funny at the same time... besides, only Don Adams is Maxwell Smart... and that's that! :D

RoboDad
08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
I love Carrell, he can do no wrong (well, maybe Evan Almighty was wrong...). But I saw the panel at SDCC and was pretty impressed. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid and it seems like they're treating it with some respect as well as the ubiquitous fart/vomit jokes common to modern comedy.

I'm not so sure about that any more. After I read the latest over at WouldYouBelieve.com (http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/movie.html), it sounds more like they are trying to put on a show of feigned respect, but in reality the original creative team (and the original show's concept) have been all but ignored. Read the "NEW" section for details of how Mel, Buck and Leonard have been treated.

galactiboy
08-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I saw something about this the other day and was dumbfounded. I think as Lonnie pointed out the feel of the series is so far removed from the present culture that it would be hard pressed not to suck and will most likely be unbearable.

I'd predict something along the lines of Martin in the Pink Panther bad... but I could always be wrong.

Batty
02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
The new trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/getsmart/trailer2/large.html) is up. I'm not a big fan of movies based on old tv series, but I think this looks really good. Carell seems just right.

Agent0028
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Darn thing won't play for me. Nothing comes up. :computer

carbo-fation
02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
:lol Looks very good. It has Hiro Nakamura, Carrell, the Rock and Azamat from Borat.

Agent0028
02-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Yay, it worked when I retried it. It actually looks funny, but I don't know if I'll like it or not as being Get Smart.

The Mike
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Anything with Anne Hathaway peaks my attention, I can't wait to see her sweater stretchers in just about anything (except those period pieces :monkey4) I like Steve Carell but feel hes getting too close to that annoying overhyped and overpraised level like Will Farrell or Jim Carrey achieved so quickly where they are funny but really not Gods of Comedy like people make them out to be. Jack Black was headed that way and in some ways Seth Rogen is on that track. Back on track though I'm willing to give it a shot but apparently the studios aren't, the sequel is already a DVD Direct piece (I believe shot at the same time....) assuming that they don't think it'll do that well to produce a Theater Sequel....

willrulethemall
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I never thought Steve was a funny, just like Will Farrell and Jim Carrey.

I remember the old Get Smart movie with the nude bomb. That movie rocked.

The Craw
03-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not so sure about that any more. After I read the latest over at WouldYouBelieve.com (http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/movie.html), it sounds more like they are trying to put on a show of feigned respect, but in reality the original creative team (and the original show's concept) have been all but ignored. Read the "NEW" section for details of how Mel, Buck and Leonard have been treated.yes this guy over at wouldyoubelieve knows what he is talking about. this movie will be about as good as any other vintage tv show turned into a modern movie. don adams is maxwell smart. he's the main reason i watch this show plus the new movie doesnt even have "the craw" so how good can it be.:lol

The ill Jedi
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
The new trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/getsmart/trailer2/large.html) is up. I'm not a big fan of movies based on old tv series, but I think this looks really good. Carell seems just right.
I'll admit that while I am a Steve Carrell fan, I wasn't too optimistic about this movie. But, I saw the full trailer over the weekend and I think it's gonna be a winner! I'm really liking the cast too...Anne Hathaway. :drool

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Just got back from seeing the flick. It was really really funny. I caught myself laughing about 20-25 times out loud in the theaters. Plus Steve Carell was there for a little Q & A and he was one funny dude. PLUS, Anne Hathaway is freaking gorgeous. There is one scene where she's in a robe and she turns around with it open....going to have to wait for the DVD and have the pause button.

OH, I have never seen an episode of the TV Series, so I dont know how much or if any if the film took from the series

DarkArtist81
05-30-2008, 07:11 AM
I was skeptical at first, but after seeing the trailer and hearing good buzz... I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Looks freakin hysterical. :lol

Agent0028
05-30-2008, 07:42 AM
It does look good. I loved the show as a kid and I'm afraid that it will not be good (since many TV shows made in to movies seem to not be). On the other hand I've realized it's been years since I've seen an episode so I don't have much of a yardstick to judge it by. I wish they sold the DVD's seperately by season.

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 08:00 AM
It does look good. I loved the show as a kid and I'm afraid that it will not be good (since many TV shows made in to movies seem to not be). On the other hand I've realized it's been years since I've seen an episode so I don't have much of a yardstick to judge it by. I wish they sold the DVD's seperately by season.

HEY, I know now where you get your Name from...:lol:lol:lol

Agent0028
05-30-2008, 08:01 AM
HEY, I know now where you get your Name from...:lol:lol:lol

Nope. Missed it by that much.

The ill Jedi
05-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Just got back from seeing the flick. It was really really funny. I caught myself laughing about 20-25 times out loud in the theaters. Plus Steve Carell was there for a little Q & A and he was one funny dude. PLUS, Anne Hathaway is freaking gorgeous. There is one scene where she's in a robe and she turns around with it open....going to have to wait for the DVD and have the pause button.

OH, I have never seen an episode of the TV Series, so I dont know how much or if any if the film took from the series
How the hell do you always get in to these early screenings you lucky bastard?

Good to hear more positive stuff about this, I am looking forward to it. For those who are saying Steve Carrell is heading down the undeserved 'God of Comedy' route, I disagree, just look at Little Miss Sunshine and Dan in Real life, which was a really good movie and he didn't play them over the top.

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 08:09 AM
How the hell do you always get in to these early screenings you lucky bastard?

Good to hear more positive stuff about this, I am looking forward to it. For those who are saying Steve Carrell is heading down the undeserved 'God of Comedy' route, I disagree, just look at Little Miss Sunshine and Dan in Real life, which was a really good movie and he didn't play them over the top.

You live in LA, I'm going back to the same theater to see The Incredible Hulk on Monday if you want to go, I think I can still get tickets.

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Nope. Missed it by that much.

I Dont Think We Are On The Same Page

Agent0028
05-30-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm still on the first page of posts, which page are you on?

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm still on the first page of posts, which page are you on?

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl It's what he says in the movie.

The ill Jedi
05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
You live in LA, I'm going back to the same theater to see The Incredible Hulk on Monday if you want to go, I think I can still get tickets.
PM Sent!!!

Make some space in your inbox, please.

Agent0028
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl It's what he says in the movie.

Yeah I know, I think its in the trailer or something. Anyway I got my name from several places. The 00 comes from being a big Bond fan, 28 is the day of the month my birthday is on. I chose that instead of some other number because in the books there were three double oh's and one of them had two digits 0011. As opposed to the movies where they show nine agents, presumably 001-009. So I wanted to use two digits. As for the Agent part, that was happenstance, before I joined here I spent alot of time in Sideshow's fantacular chat. I wanted just 0028, but it had to start with a letter so I went with Agent in front. I thought the same rule applied here and it wasn't until later I realized I didn't need the Agent part. I've considered changing it before, but never have. And that is probably waaay more than you ever wanted to know about the origins of my name. :lol

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
PM Sent!!!

Make some space in your inbox, please.

You're good now.

The Craw
05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
i dont know about the film. don adams will always be 86 to me.
where i got my username BTW:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftgAG3Vnif8

Ironman1188
05-30-2008, 02:30 PM
What do you think? Will they recapture the magic? Will they produce their own?

Will Sideshow get the license? :rolleyes:

The Craw
05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
was the character of siegfried in the new movie.
http://www.iment.com/maida/tv/gs/getsmartimages/siegfried-200.jpg
So...We meet again Schmart.

Darth Caedus
05-30-2008, 02:40 PM
was the character of siegfried in the new movie.
http://www.iment.com/maida/tv/gs/getsmartimages/siegfried-200.jpg
So...We meet again Schmart.

Indeed he was. Played by this guy

http://www.perouinc.com/gallery/icon/intro_portraits.jpg

The Craw
05-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Indeed he was. Played by this guy

http://www.perouinc.com/gallery/icon/intro_portraits.jpgdose he say "schmart"?

The Craw
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
looks like the individual seasons of the classic show are gonna be released in stores soon for those of you who dont want to spend big bucks on the Time Life set. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Smart-Season-1/9778
personally i would save up for the Time Life complete box if you are serious about this show. it truly is a beautiful box set. other companies should take notes on it for releasing other complete sets.

Agent0028
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
That's good to hear. I just can't afford the complete series all at once.

The Craw
06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
it is a big chunk of change. but i really really wanted it so i saved up and i found a great coupon code which took about $30 off. plus TL gives free shipping. it cost me just under $170 shipped. its worth every penny to me cuz i love this show and vintage TV in general. every episode has a short introduction by barbara feldon(agent 99). it was great that she took the time to do that. havent watched much of the special features yet but there is a lot. 5 discs worth i believe. or should i say "would you believe".

Darth Madden
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
This topic can only be discussed under the cone of silence.

http://www.emergentchaos.com/images/sept-05/cone-of-silence.jpg

The Craw
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
kinda like the portable version myself. especially when they couldnt get it off.:lol
http://www.meatheadshockey.ca/documents/cone_of_silence2.jpg

The Craw
06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
sometimes when they had more than 2 people they had to bring out the big guns. behold the umbrella of silence:
http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/graphics/cone_umbrella.gif

Killbeggar
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Kinda OT but in keeping with the spy theme.
Oh dear God when will it end?

http://www.robertvaughn.com/hollywoodreporter.html

Lindsay Dunlap and her Ember Entertainment Group have acquired the feature film rights to the 1960s television series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." Under the deal, which Ember struck with series producer Norman Felton of Arena Prods., Dunlap hopes to produce an updated feature film based on the series, which ran on NBC from 1964-68. "U.N.C.L.E." centered on Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) and Illya Kuryakin (David McCallum), the two agents of the United Network Command for Law Enforcement (U.N.C.L.E.) who teamed on various adventures to fight evil, namely a group of bad guys called Thrush. Ember's Dunlap plans to take the project out to studios shortly. The project is not Ember's first foray into the remake world. The company is in business with DreamWorks Pictures on a redo of the 1956 MGM sci-fi feature "Forbidden Planet." Ember's Dunlap will produce along with Richard Saperstein, now a production topper at Artisan, who shepherded the project during his tenure at New Line Cinema...

The Craw
06-05-2008, 11:23 PM
personally i dont care for any remakes of old tv shows. the get smart remake wont thrill me. dont even know if ill see it personally. i love the show cuz of don adams period. i hear in this movie 86 is portrayed as a bumbling clutz who gets out of every jam with luck or gets saved by the much more confident 99. adams version of 86 was kinda clutzy yes, but he was very confident at had a huge ego problem. and he didnt win with luck. he would jump into fights with 4 or 5 thugs and just kick their asses. or he'd fool them with the ol' gun in the phone trick or the ol' fake neck trick(if he was being strangled). plus you cant beat the scene in the "a man called smart" 3 parter when 86 pretends to be unconcious so KAOS hauls him away on a stretcher. but the only way out of the building is through a revolving door. watch for yourselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EJ3MS8ASQ

Agent0028
06-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm just hoping that since it's been so long since I've seen the show I won't know enough to not like it. Unless its just really stupid or something. After I've seen it maybe I'll give in and get the Time Life set. One of the things I dislike about buying TV shows on DVD is I find I rarely ever have the time to go back and watch them after an initial marathon.

The Craw
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm just hoping that since it's been so long since I've seen the show I won't know enough to not like it. Unless its just really stupid or something. After I've seen it maybe I'll give in and get the Time Life set. One of the things I dislike about buying TV shows on DVD is I find I rarely ever have the time to go back and watch them after an initial marathon.just watch a bunch of clips on youtube if you think the show might not have the "magic" anymore. sure beats buying something you might not find entertaining. is every episode a winner? probably not. there are some duds especially in the last season when adams was being kinda "difficult" from what i hear. is it "drop dead, bust your gut, oh my god i cant breathe funny"? not all the time. they reuse a lot of jokes from episode to episode. i just love it cuz its entertaining and makes me smile and laugh. i love old TV. it takes me back to those halcyon days. this show and the "Honeymooners Classic 39" are seriously the best things that ever happened to my DVD collection. ive got more TV than movies in by DVD collection by far.

Agent0028
06-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry, I was referring to not liking the movie. I'm sure I'll still like the show, nostaligia alone ensures that. But I thin the show itself is enough that I will enjoy it.

The Craw
06-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I was referring to not liking the movie. I'm sure I'll still like the show, nostaligia alone ensures that. But I thin the show itself is enough that I will enjoy it.sorry my bad.:o

here's another of my favorite clips from the episode "kiss of death". quality is kinda bad on this one. i think the poster taped it off of TV. stick with it cuz the punchline is at the very end.:lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WFAhhG64Vs

Agent0028
06-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Not your fault, I was the one being unclear with my pronouns. That was a funny clip, I really hope the movie is good and sticks with the show well because the show is just awesome.

great1
06-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Anyone else see this movie yet? I found it very funny and would recommend it to anyone. There were a lot of nods to the old series but don't worry if you haven't seen it because you will still enjoy it a lot.

King Darkness
06-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Is there a shoe phone? PLEASE tell me there is a shoe phone.

great1
06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Is there a shoe phone? PLEASE tell me there is a shoe phone.

There IS a shoe phone :)

King Darkness
06-21-2008, 09:41 AM
There IS a shoe phone :)

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Awesome! I am gonna watch it Tuesday.

Memnoch
06-21-2008, 11:18 AM
The girlfriend and I saw this last night and as a fan of the old series I LOVED it. Steve Carell didnt try to be Don Adams, he tried to be Max Smart and succeeded. I also really liked the "museum" with the props from the original show..oh and the mention of working on HYMIE.

Eli26
06-21-2008, 12:27 PM
I dated a girl who could play Anne Hathaway's double. Too bad she's a two timing "fill in the blanks."

We're trying to be friends right now, but I find it very hard. Everytime I see Anne I see her... ugh. Anyway, good movie! Hugely over the top, and a lot of scenes that make you go, "What?!", but definitely was better than I expected.

hairlesswookiee
06-21-2008, 01:51 PM
saw it last night and it was very enjoyable at the least. Ann Hathaway is so freaking beautiful its not even funny.

Darklord Dave
06-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I absolutely LOVED it. But I don't think I'd have enjoyed it half as much if I hadn't been such a huge fan of the old show.

SPOILERS

I liked that they smartened up Max. Even as a child I couldn't believe that such a beautiful and competent agent like 99 would fall for such an idiot. Carrell plays it perfectly though. And the Bernie Koppell cameo was perfect.

The Craw
06-21-2008, 05:36 PM
ive been watching season 4 of the old show lately. probably my favorite season. much more enjoyable than any movie remake IMO.

piccolodaimaoh
06-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Loved the film, thought the casting was on point. Hopefully they can make this into a franchise with multiple sequels like Austin Powers.

The Mike
06-24-2008, 12:59 AM
I dated a girl who could play Anne Hathaway's double. Too bad she's a two timing "fill in the blanks."

Didn't we have this conversation a while back....I remember it....my wife looks a lot like Anne Hathaway. Not an exact double but more than a passing resemblance. Her friends tease her all the time about it.

We plan to see this for a matinee on either Wednesday or Thursday...not because we don't think it'll be good but because I don't have to officially work again until September. :D

The Craw
06-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Loved the film, thought the casting was on point. Hopefully they can make this into a franchise with multiple sequels like Austin Powers.hopefully it just fades away like every other remake.

King Darkness
07-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Saw this today, LOVED IT!!! Much better than I thought it would be. It did the old show proud!

Agent0028
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I really enjoyed it. I think they did a good job keeping the essence of Get Smart, had the original series never existed and was created now I think it would be alot like this. I wouldn't mind a sequel, but I don't want more than one. It seems like the third in a set of movies have a bad habit of being bad.

LewisD
07-04-2008, 12:52 AM
I saw Get Smart a couple of days ago. It's a shame that the trailers gave away 70% of the comedic elements. OK movie, I'll wait to see it again on broadcast TV.