The best Lights for illuminating a collection ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooncat

Super Freak
Reaction score
I noted that someone posted about neon lights in a display case

Looks great man, but just a word to the wise, neon lights can fade a collectible. Suck the color right out of it.

from : https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23298&page=3

As im currently in the process of building a custom display case myself and id like to light the figures in it,

I wondered what was the best lights to choose ?

Obviusly not neons if they "Suck the color right out of it"

In that thread chavez is using a flourescent light not a neon light. I don't know why anyone would even want to use a neon light for a display case so I don't know what the guy who posted that comment was talking about.

Although a flourescent light emits ultra violet rays so maybe he meant to say flourescent instead.

I'm using these LED-lights I bought at IKEA.
Thay changed the name to DIODER I believe.
You can link them together to form a long line of light (makes sense? :eek: )
hyllor04.jpg

hyllor06.jpg

I'm using these LED-lights I bought at IKEA.
Thay changed the name to DIODER I believe.
You can link them together to form a long line of light (makes sense? :eek: )
Awsome display man love the black and the grid style shelves

Id do the same but its sitting on white Ikea stuff also so want to to match what its sat on - opted for glass shelves - and a mirrored back So Im guessing that those lights would work,

the shelves are on chrome bars so i may try something with those lights . . . (drill holes in the chrome and feed the lights along ?

I take it there a set length ? (the light that is) and I also take it that when they string together I could rig up longer links ?

What do ya think ?

EDIT

I see they come in sets of four can you tell me how long the cable is from light to transformer (if thats what the junction is) ?

Last edited:
Awsome display man love the black and the grid style shelves

Id do the same but its sitting on white Ikea stuff also so want to to match what its sat on - opted for glass shelves - and a mirrored back So Im guessing that those lights would work,

the shelves are on chrome bars so i may try something with those lights . . . (drill holes in the chrome and feed the lights along ?

I take it there a set length ? (the light that is) and I also take it that when they string together I could rig up longer links ?

What do ya think ?

EDIT

I see they come in sets of four can you tell me how long the cable is from light to transformer (if thats what the junction is) ?

Kind of hard to move the units around to get to the back but if my memory serves me right the cable should be about 2 - 2,5 meters (from the wallsocket to the "conector" that connetcs the four light together).
You allso have a good meter or 1,5 from the lights itselfe to the "connector".

Hope this helps... :monkey1

it really depends how big your display is and how long in the day you want to keep your lights on for. I only use mine for a few hours every few days or once a week or something.... so for me these LED lights are perfect. When the batteries die I just recharge them (AAA batteries)

if I wanted them on every hour I was sat here though in the day I'd probably get plug in equivalents

collection1.jpg

collection3.jpg

collection1.jpg

collection2.jpg

collection2.jpg

toe, you could buy those at Home Depot or Bedbath and Beyond,it gets expensive changing those batteries

how many batteries does one require?

does it get really really hot ?

how much is it?

thanks

Last edited:
the ones I used take 3 AAA batteries each. They don't give off any heat at all (LED's dont usually)

I bought three 12 packs of rechargeables for £10 per pack of 12. This gave me enough (36) batteries to cover all the lights for £30.... and then I just recharge them when they run down.

Back