Just finished my Display Cabinet

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chaver

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just finished staining this bad boy.All I have to do now is install the glass shelving and glass door's.Im still trying to order the glass from this one place but the guy wants me to come out and talk to him.I guess he wants to know how I built the cabinet so he doesn't sale me something I can't use.I'm just so busy with work in all trying get out there to talk to him with my schedule is real hard and he doesn't work on the weekends.But I'll probably just have to take off work early next week and go out there and talk to the guy.It's pretty straight forward though,I just give him the measurement's of the rough opening and he cuts the glass,give's me the track channel and hardware and were golden.But anyway here's some pics,tell me what you think guy's.
DSC00451.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

]

Nice! I wish I could do work like that!

Too bad this guy's stalling on the shelves and doors. What are you going to tell him in person that you can't tell him on the phone? Does he want to see photos?

Well done, looks professional.

Yeah this the first display cabinet Ive built but I've built countless bars,cabinets,cabinet door's,entertainment centers,countless jobs were I've done trimwork,all kinds of sh** like that so this wasn't that big of difference from what Ive done before.It went together just like the rest of things you build in carpentry.

Nice! I wish I could do work like that!

Too bad this guy's stalling on the shelves and doors. What are you going to tell him in person that you can't tell him on the phone? Does he want to see photos?

I don't know he just said he wanted me to come in and talk to him in person.I think he's going to try and get me to have him install the glass or some bullsh** like that.I definitely don't need him to install the glass that **** I can do myself but I don't know,or maybe he just wants to make sure i know my shi**,the guy is just freaking weird.I might have to end up going some were else.It just kind of sucks because the guy's only a few miles from my house.

Looks incredible Chavez!! Can't wait to see how it looks when everything is set-up!!

Looks incredible Chavez!! Can't wait to see how it looks when everything is set-up!!

Thank's guys,and no I cant wait either Nitro.I just finished putting on the varnish today,this baby is looking awesome stained and sealed the outside only,the inside I just sealed so that it gives it that two toned look,also the inside has be a light in colour because it just looks better when displaying collectibles.Tomorrow I'm going to put the lights in and some shoe to cover up the seems inside of the cabinet and hopefully the glass will be next weekend,I took some more pic's with some of my stuff on top of it.All man Im so close to finishing this thing.Can't wait.
DSC00465.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

That looks fantastic stained! I cant wait to see it finished! Keep us updated.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the great comments Ive been receiving on my new display cabinet and just to give you all a heads up on what I done today.I put in a 40 watt light in but I'm still not happy with the lighting.I'm gonna go look at some more lights tomorrow,maybe some of those little circular one's I've been seeing in these forum's,you know some for the bottom of the cabinet that will push the light upwards.Here's another pic with the light and the shoe in.
DSC00474.jpg

You're an excellent trades persen Chavez! Keep up the good work! Also, how much in supplies did this cost you. Just curious because I maybe persuaded to go this route one day. I was a great woods shop student.

You're an excellent trades persen Chavez! Keep up the good work! Also, how much in supplies did this cost you. Just curious because I maybe persuaded to go this route one day. I was a great woods shop student.

Thanks man.Well I used all oak so it was expensive as far as materials about $250.00 for all the wood the varnish,finish nails,stain and the light fixture. I Still have to buy the glass too and that's gonna cost another $100 to 150.I also put about 10 to 12 hours in this thing,you ad that plus cost of materials up this would be well worth doing by yourself if you have the skill and know your sh**.You could make a very simple one.The one I made has a lot of trim work done to it,simply because I know how to do trim real well and I like the look.If you made it just straight up with out all the trim,it would still look nice and wouldn't cost you so much,maybe about maybe $150.00 if you did it in oak.You could also use Birch but that's only 10 to 15 dollars cheaper than oak.You could also use regular finished ply and put some veneer on it,that's how my other cabinet that I spent almost $900.00 on 7 years ago before I was a Carpenter.Sh** now that I think about how much money I spent on that thing,it kind of pisses me off,because this new display that I just built isn't even going to cost me half that and I built it in way better materails than they did.Yeah man it's well worth building on your own if your well equipped with the tools and the skill.

Back