GTA IV DELAYED until 2nd Qtr 2008

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitSportsFan

Super Freak
Reaction score
"Take Two just announced the highly anticipated (and that's being cautious) Grand Theft Auto IV will be delayed from its originally scheduled October release date until the second fiscal quarter of 2008, or between February and April of '08. Though no direct cause for the delay was cited, Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick said "certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected."

Additionally, due to the outstanding ratings problems (and surprising no one) they've also announced that Manhunt 2 would miss its planned release this fiscal year. As a result of these setbacks, they're expecting revenue of $950 million to $1 billion for the fiscal year ending Oct. 31; in June, they announced expected revenue of $1.2 billion to $1.25 billion for the year.

The bad news: There goes Microsoft's holiday hat trick. The good news: More time to play the onslaught of great games this holiday season."

:monkey2 :mad:

This is a bummer but it is a relief to my wallet.

Between now and Christmas I will be buying...
X-Box 360
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty 4
Army of Two
Halo 3

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bro.
Pro Bowling

And not to mention all of the feaking dvd sets that come out between Oct. and Dec. Even though I am excited for GTA4 it comes somewhat as a relief.

I would hate it if PS3 was my only system because there is nothing spectacular coming before Christmas now!

I beg to differ my enlarged poltryfied friend. Heavenly Sword maybe only promising after such a short demo (1gb downloadfor 5 mins of play... boo! But good play nonetheless), but the new Ratchet and Clank Future looks like you're playing a Pixar animated movie. Uncharted is also a 'killer app' by none other than Naughty Dog, Indiana Jones meets Gears of War - nice! Then of course there's a little something called Unreal Tournament 3 - exclusive to the PS3 (this year at least...) - and Haze, again wxclusive for the PS3 for the time being. Those, combined with unknown's such as Lair and Warhawk are not to be sniffed at.

But then, I LOVE gaming and have all 3 consoles, so what do I care? :D MOST ANTICIPATED GAME AT PRESENT: BioShock - check it out people, potential Halo 3 beater here (single-player wise).

I would hate it if PS3 was my only system because there is nothing spectacular coming before Christmas now!
amen to that. the only reason i haven't bought a PS3... no games. i just wish MS would turn in shame and admit that they should start using the HD DVD drive for some of their games. not every game needs the space, but i'd love to see an RPG like knights of the old republic fill up 20 gigs of content.

It's actually possible that it might be the PS3 version that's causing the delay, although some people say it's both, but since there are lots of other companies having problems developing games for the PS3 I would say that that's the problem. And UT3 isn't exclusive to the PS3, it's coming out on PC at the same time and the Xbox version is just delayed a little bit. It's too bad that GTAIV is delayed, but that just means that we'll have more time to play the other games coming out this year.

And, they'll never release an Xbox game that uses the HD-DVD drive, that would cause way too many people to be mad. And besides, there's only like 200,000 people that have them and I don't think any company would want to limit themselves like that. Plus the whole next-gen disc format thing was what caused problems for the PS3.

It's actually possible that it might be the PS3 version that's causing the delay, although some people say it's both, but since there are lots of other companies having problems developing games for the PS3 I would say that that's the problem. And UT3 isn't exclusive to the PS3, it's coming out on PC at the same time and the Xbox version is just delayed a little bit. It's too bad that GTAIV is delayed, but that just means that we'll have more time to play the other games coming out this year.

And, they'll never release an Xbox game that uses the HD-DVD drive, that would cause way too many people to be mad. And besides, there's only like 200,000 people that have them and I don't think any company would want to limit themselves like that. Plus the whole next-gen disc format thing was what caused problems for the PS3.

gamepro has an article that an analyst is indeed blaming the PS3 hardware problems for the delay of GT4. i know that MS was originally trying to stay HD neutral by not including a drive in the 360, but they are gonna start having problems fitting games onto the standard DVD soon. rumors of the MGS4 on the 360 suggest that because of this it would need to be on multiple discs.

Kind of a bummer for me also. I was really looking forward to this one. I love the GTA series. I guess I'll be spending all winter playing Madden '08.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Co-Stan-Za)

:D

rumors of the MGS4 on the 360 suggest that because of this it would need to be on multiple discs.

I don't see why it would be an issue. PS3 games are only bigger because they can be, not because the games need the extra space. And there hasn't been any games that have had issues with the 360's smaller size. Which isn't all that small since it's dual-layer 8.5GB and most games are less than one regular DVD.

And UT3 isn't exclusive to the PS3, it's coming out on PC at the same time and the Xbox version is just delayed a little bit.

I said exclusive to PS3 for this year only - Sony announced it as such at this year's E3. Yeah, there's a PC version, but since when has that stopped a game being labelled exclusive as far as consoles go? Gears of War, Bioshock and other 360 'exclusives' are also headed or already released on the PC...

I don't see why it would be an issue. PS3 games are only bigger because they can be, not because the games need the extra space. And there hasn't been any games that have had issues with the 360's smaller size. Which isn't all that small since it's dual-layer 8.5GB and most games are less than one regular DVD.

exactly!!! which is why i find it so funny when the sony boys start preaching about how their games are 18+gigs on the disc. all this does is make it a bit easier for the developers because they don't have to work as hard/long to compress everything like they would on the regular DVDs. Resistance fall of man looks like crap compared to Gears of War, but it isn't much longer in overall gameplay. and this is because Epic wanted Gears to be this long...they concentrated most of their work on multiplayer.

Back