Shrunken head question!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy

Super Freak
Reaction score
:lol I read somewhere that acetone can shrink a figuers head some what, is this true? I thought I read it on this forum. I have a hasbro electric vader and thought I might be able to shrink it some to go on my medicom rots vader.

It does work. One of the members here posted pics of his Hot Toys Batman Begins. If you have the time to go through that thread you might find it. I can't remember the details, but I think he soaked it for a number of set periods of time, till he arrived at a satisfactory result.

I read over on the Mego Museum site that you can shrink some heads with Acetone. I tried it just yesterday on a Hasbro ROTS clone trooper head and it didn't work, unfortunately. Maybe the Vader head is different???

At any rate, read the directions carefully. I found this out the hard way and didn't read to pour the acetone in a GLASS container. It eats through disposable plastic cups really fast. And dribbled all over the floor!
:rotfl

I read over on the Mego Museum site that you can shrink some heads with Acetone. I tried it just yesterday on a Hasbro ROTS clone trooper head and it didn't work, unfortunately. Maybe the Vader head is different???

At any rate, read the directions carefully. I found this out the hard way and didn't read to pour the acetone in a GLASS container. It eats through disposable plastic cups really fast. And dribbled all over the floor!
:rotfl

Was the head ruined? I would think that the head would actually become larger with the acetone and then shrink?

It only works on vinyl heads such as Hasbros, and won't work on SSC heads. They do swell up and then shrink down - how much depends on how long you soak them. And they do become more brittle after the process and, of course, lose all their paint. I did it successfully with an AotC hasbro Obi-Wan and Anakin many years ago.

Was the head ruined? I would think that the head would actually become larger with the acetone and then shrink?

No, the head wasn't ruined. Most of the paint came off, but it kept it's size. Which was a bummer, cause those Hasbro clone buckets are MASSIVE!

:lol I read somewhere that acetone can shrink a figuers head some what, is this true? I thought I read it on this forum. I have a hasbro electric vader and thought I might be able to shrink it some to go on my medicom rots vader.

yes acetone will shrink a hasbro vader head, but it probably won't shrink enough to fit under the medicom vader helmet. the medicom vader head is really small. smaller than normal medicom heads.

why don't you just improve the hasbro vader figure instead? it's a great figure to customize.

No, the head wasn't ruined. Most of the paint came off, but it kept it's size. Which was a bummer, cause those Hasbro clone buckets are MASSIVE!

how long did you soak the head? i've successfully shrunk episode 2 clone helmets, but didn't see the need to shrink the episode 3 clone helemt, as it was a good size.

how long did you soak the head? i've successfully shrunk episode 2 clone helmets, but didn't see the need to shrink the episode 3 clone helemt, as it was a good size.

Left if soaking a good 10 minutes. You say the Episode 2 heads you had success in shrinking using this method??? May I ask how long you soaked them? Multiple times etc? Thanks for the info!

From what I understand, there is a Hydrospan product you can use to shrink casts, and another to enlarge it. I can't recall the specific product code at the moment, though.

Left if soaking a good 10 minutes. You say the Episode 2 heads you had success in shrinking using this method??? May I ask how long you soaked them? Multiple times etc? Thanks for the info!

you gotta leave it in there longer than 10 minutes. try a few hours. and make sure you're using real acetone, not nail polish remover. and do this outside, as the fumes are terrible from this stuff.

when the head swells up about 2 or 3 times it's size, remove it from the acetone, wash it off and let it sit outside for a few days. it will shrink. if you want it smaller, repeat the process.

you gotta leave it in there longer than 10 minutes. try a few hours. and make sure you're using real acetone, not nail polish remover. and do this outside, as the fumes are terrible from this stuff.

when the head swells up about 2 or 3 times it's size, remove it from the acetone, wash it off and let it sit outside for a few days. it will shrink. if you want it smaller, repeat the process.

Sweet... I bought a big can of acetone, so I'll try it again. I'll have pictures of the before and after process...
Wish me luck!

Found these old pics, from the pre-digital camera days...

Original Hasbro figure.
ObiHas.jpg

Original head
obihead4.jpg

same head after treatment - notice it's about a centimeter shorter.
obifinal.jpg

Right after soaking - compared to a normal Dragon head.

Obihead.jpg

Final repainted head on a Dragon body.
obiwan.jpg

Found these old pics, from the pre-digital camera days...

Original Hasbro figure.
ObiHas.jpg

Original head
obihead4.jpg

same head after treatment - notice it's about a centimeter shorter.
obifinal.jpg

Right after soaking - compared to a normal Dragon head.

Obihead.jpg

Final repainted head on a Dragon body.
obiwan.jpg

What an AWESOME repaint :rotfl:rotfl

Great pics!
Like a bonehead, I forgot to take before pictures of my Clone heads. It's amazing how much those suckers balooned up in the acetone. I could barely get them out of the container they were soaking in.
They are drying now. Hopefully they will shrink up a good bit!

Back