Arwen review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Asmus has had several hits in a row with their LOTR/Hobbit line up, but they haven't done a female character in awhile...and the female characters have generally been an issue for them. I'm happy to report that Arwen is a big step up overall, and a worthy addition to the line:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-071719a.htm

You can also find the review with the rest at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

review_arwen_10.jpg

Not surprised at all that I aligned with your great review yet again Michael.

My sentiments were the same mostly, and I’d give her three out of five too I think.

I was genuinely pleased with how she turned out. Just because it’s a three star figure does not mean it’s not a satisfying, great addition to a collection. I tried to get the finish on her hair consistent with semi gloss spray and matte pomade but that was it. More than happy to add her to the LORT collection as is.

You can see that Asmus is trying all the time - in fact with the crown series, if it turns out well at the end or not, is something that’s never been attempted before . Two years ago I posted pictures (among other artists) of some of their efforts with real hair that I did myself- they they commended it and then they got to work and tired to figure out how to do it- now, two years later they are going to release the first mass produce/ custom artist figure with real hair application...Really cool.

They are not at the hot toys level and they know they won’t be, but they are trying something totally different when they can. They are here looking at the forum, collecting feedback and acting. I really respect that, they want to try to improve and that means something. They care about their product.

As an avid collector this means even more to me after the disaster that was theeezero’s Dana Scully. Those two companies kind of parallel in my mind. Kind of underwhelming with their early efforts but sort of tried to pull up their pants so to speak in recent years ...the difference is that threezero does not follow through. To delay a figure as long as Scully was delayed only to put out a figure that is in a different scale can’t be forgiven. There is attention to detail enough to deliberately change the prototype , even if this is related to Fox’s request , but then to oversee something that is so massively under scale to Mulder only signifies to me that they don’t care enough. You never really know how these things happen, factory issues, pressure from investors... whatever? the point is they cut corners and they have been silent about it. I have to believe they have enough of an eye to know where they messed up.

One thing I can always say about Asmus is that a figure can be hot off the presses and at the very least if it’s underwhelming they will say it as soon as everyone else.. and start thinking about how to make it better.

Anyways I digress and apologies for the soapbox but this was meant to really say that the Arwen figure is highly appreciated in my book!

I should also follow up and say my other mod, not surprising that Michel also pointed out, was to tighten the waist area a bit. I pulled the tab as tight as I could and added a dab of glue

Great review! :clap I agree, she is a really nice figure and a great addition to any LOTR 1/6 scale collection :)

Back