Painting and Weathering advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2019collector

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a fairly new collectorz started early this year but have ammased a several amount of statues.

Anyway to the point, I want to add some weathering effects to the armor of my statue such as gloves belt and metallic pieces.

For example, I have the sideshow magneto maquette, but I feel like the gloves, belt, boots could use a dash of more detail. Now with that said I'd practice on other surfaces prior to doing it on the actual statue.

Is there any advice you guys can give me to add a splash more detail to the statue. Also if done correctly and the weathering looks decent will it devalue the statue by applying paint over it?

Is there any considerations? How do I start with this?

Look up some YouTube videos about washes and dry brushing. A wash gets paint into low level details and dry brush hits the high point details.

Also if done correctly and the weathering looks decent will it devalue the statue by applying paint over it?

Done well, customised paint will increase the value of the state, or at least make it stand out and make it easier to sell than all the normal ones.
These aren't art pieces where 'original condition' is of higher value than something that looks better.

Just be warned that whether or not something actually looks better is subjective.

Back