SLIM versions: if the box does NOT say "SLIM" on it is it then original version?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
SLIM versions: if the box does NOT say "SLIM" on it is it then original version?

None of the Asmus hobbit figures I have purchased within the past month--namely Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin--say "SLIM version" anywhere on the box, as my Aragorn figure does. But when I purchased them they all said they were SLIM. Have I been fooled? Or do the SLIM versions of the hobbits not identify themselves as such on the box? They all do appear to be SLIM versions judging from pictures of the head sculpts I see online.

(These purchases were made before I was aware Asmus has an online store via it's website.)

I do see online what appears to be version 1, or the original version, in which Merry and Pippin are both frowning (these are not what I have):

merry and pippin v.1.jpg

The ones I have look like these guys:

merry and pippin v.2.jpg

Similarly the Frodo and Sam I purchased look like these:

frodo and sam v.2.jpg

and not this (these are not what I have):

frodo and sam v.1.jpg

The boxes for the figures I have look like this:

frodo and sam boxes.jpgmerry and pippin boxes.jpg

i.e., without any markings to indicate they are the SLIM versions.

Re: SLIM versions: if the box does NOT say "SLIM" on it is it then original version?

I think the 'slim' releases are the re-releases with updated head sculpts.

Re: SLIM versions: if the box does NOT say "SLIM" on it is it then original version?

I think the 'slim' releases are the re-releases with updated head sculpts.

Yeah, looks like. But some of the boxes seem to be marked with the "SLIM version" logo. Whereas some are indeed SLIM versions yet the boxes aren't marked as such?

You have the slim versions. My boxes are in storage so I can’t check rn but I don’t believe they actually say “slim” either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between the slim aragorn and regular? And is one more sought after than the other? Thank you

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between the slim aragorn and regular? And is one more sought after than the other? Thank you

IIRC the original has sculpted hair and the SLIM version has rooted hair. SLIM might also have improved the head sculpt? I believe the SLIM version is more sought after, but right now finding nothing on EBay for either by which to compare.

Details for original version here:

Details for slim version here:

Original version had more: 2 heads with sculpted hair (slim has 1 head with rooted hair), traveling gear A & B (bedroll pack),
2 stands (1 simple & 1 with statue, slim has only the simple), 1 pair of leather boots (slim has 1 pair of molded boots),
1 bow, 1 quiver, 6 arrows, 1 pair of Orc bracers (for building an orc).

The original version along with the head with rooted hair would be the most sought after
(this head sold alone as an expansion).

Details for original version here:

Details for slim version here:

Original version had more: 2 heads with sculpted hair (slim has 1 head with rooted hair), traveling gear A & B (bedroll pack),
2 stands (1 simple & 1 with statue, slim has only the simple), 1 pair of leather boots (slim has 1 pair of molded boots),
1 bow, 1 quiver, 6 arrows, 1 pair of Orc bracers (for building an orc).

The original version along with the head with rooted hair would be the most sought after
(this head sold alone as an expansion).

Thank you

Back