PDA

View Full Version : Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Pages : [1] 2

Asmus
02-18-2019, 06:39 AM
Hey guys, here's some New Gandalf picture for you.
And no worry! the sculpted beard is the base for rooting the hair

SithThundercracker
02-18-2019, 07:35 AM
Very nice! Hard to tell what the final look can be bit this is promising.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

warlock664
02-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Awesome!
I have purchased every Asmus LOTR & Hobbit release thus far, and can't wait to buy this one!
(Now, please invoice me for the balance on Arwen lol!)

Life_m2000
02-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Really looking forward to this!

Life_m2000
02-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Asmus when do you plan to put him up for preorder?

denrep-lilium
02-18-2019, 09:08 AM

444848Will extension pack of this be available for those that have previous version?

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-U02 using Tapatalk

nosha4701
02-18-2019, 09:29 AM
I have already bought gandalf the grey from the previous release. Was hoping for the white version. But if the 2.0 looks promising, i might as well bought another GtG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stryker2011
02-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I hope he’s also offered as an expansion pack. (If they do rooted hair and beard for Gandalf, I hope they revisit Sauraman and Legolas.)

rjszar
02-18-2019, 09:38 AM
So, looking at this, we're getting PERS type eyes, rooted hair and beard? I can't see that being the intended look of the finished beard.

rjszar
02-18-2019, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing this is the finished sculpt shown a few months back in the other thread?

hoodonit00
02-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Yea that kind of makes me go hmmm. Not sure why they would have a complete product and then show a digital rendering of it.

SWnerdgirl
02-18-2019, 12:00 PM
I will buy Gandalf as I missed out on the first release! He is the last i need to complete the Fellowship. Will be happy when he goes up for Pre-order. :)

BagginsOfBagEnd
02-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Looks good so far! :yess: I need a Gandalf so final product pending this may well be a purchase. :)

Asmus
02-18-2019, 01:01 PM
I'm guessing this is the finished sculpt shown a few months back in the other thread?

yes, we are going to announce soon.
along with our brand new web site

Neko
02-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Great !!!

nexus
02-18-2019, 01:59 PM
If this looks like the finished prototype it will be an immediate purchase. Really hoping Legolas gets another go as well.

Asmus
02-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Yea that kind of makes me go hmmm. Not sure why they would have a complete product and then show a digital rendering of it.

This is not a digital stage anyone,
this is a molded hard copy ready to paint and mass produced.

hoodonit00
02-18-2019, 04:16 PM
This is not a digital stage anyone,
this is a molded hard copy ready to paint and mass produced.

My apologies.

rjszar
02-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Thanks for continuing to come here and keep us in the loop on things. It is so appreciated. Please feel free to take your time in production on this so that it comes out looking like the proto. I know that's what everyone wants to see.

Sassafras
02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
I have already bought gandalf the grey from the previous release. Was hoping for the white version. But if the 2.0 looks promising, i might as well bought another GtG

Me too. But IMO Gandalf is always welcome - someday I'll just re-hair the original - which IMO was a great release. Definitely order for me!

CrankbaitJon
02-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Thanks, 1st day PO for me. Can't wait!

Wor-Gar
02-18-2019, 08:43 PM

Congratulations on the new website! I look forward to that.

asgardianboy
02-19-2019, 02:06 AM
Oh PERS would be awesome, and very easy to do for Asmus, given the way they construct their heads...!
Go Asmus go!!! Listen to us!!! We want to pay more in exchange for more awesomer and betterer figures!!!
m.

So, looking at this, we're getting PERS type eyes, rooted hair and beard? I can't see that being the intended look of the finished beard.

asgardianboy
02-19-2019, 02:09 AM

Hope you had a Product Archive on your new web, going back to your very first products, just as Sideshow does.
m.

warlock664
02-19-2019, 03:43 AM
We want to pay more in exchange for more awesomer and betterer figures!!!
m.

Speak for yourself.
You sure are quick to spend everyone else's money.
"Betterer". Lol.

hoodonit00
02-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Speak for yourself.
"Betterer". Lol.

:goodpost:

ImABarRoomHero
02-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Awesome! Thanks Asmus, still super happy you have a presence on this page! Just to make sure, will you be selling this separately?

CrankbaitJon
02-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Speak for yourself.
"Betterer". Lol.

Exactly, WTH.

Bilbo Skywalker
02-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Ah this made my day!! Thank you Asmus!

rjszar
02-19-2019, 08:07 AM
Speak for yourself.
"Betterer". Lol.

Well, I'd be happy to go as high as $6.13 more per figure if it meant I didn't have to buy version 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 later on.

FlyAndFight
02-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Another must-get figure for me. Looking forward to seeing the new website, too.

superdoug
02-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Great news!

Bilbo Skywalker
02-19-2019, 07:44 PM
What are “PERS”? From what I could tell by googling it - eyes that can pose? How does that work? My first thought are those old school googly eyes lol

asgardianboy
02-19-2019, 07:56 PM
You can rest assured I was not thinking about you. I never do.
Come on Asmus! We want to pay more in exchange for more awesomer and betterer figures!!!
m.

Speak for yourself.
"Betterer". Lol.

asgardianboy
02-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Nope. Also not thinking of you either.

:exactly:
m.

:goodpost:

jk_blue_tiger
02-19-2019, 10:18 PM
What are “PERS”? From what I could tell by googling it - eyes that can pose? How does that work? My first thought are those old school googly eyes lol

Check this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfW0oCzsqT0), images are better than words.

Timemeddler
02-20-2019, 02:16 AM

Parallel Eyeball Rolling System

warlock664
02-20-2019, 03:29 AM
You can rest assured I was not thinking. I never do.

m.

Ah.
Maybe your tinfoil hat is too tight?

warlock664
02-20-2019, 04:42 AM

Asmus has never done anything like PERS (a Hot Toys feature) for their LOTR figures, so I don't know why anyone would expect it now.
More likely that the eyes are simply separate pieces and are attached to the head when it's assembled. But not moveable.

nosha4701
02-20-2019, 05:14 AM
PERS is basically useless for me. It will only make figure to cost more. I am fine with rooted hair and beard. But should Asmus innovate this technology to their upcoming release that would be a welcome addition as long as the price is reasonable

Bilbo Skywalker
02-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info!

ImABarRoomHero
02-20-2019, 08:00 AM
PERS is a neat feature but overall looks worse and is not as well received as in place eye positions. It's cool and all, but my static figures look better than my PERS'd DX's in the eye area.

Life_m2000
02-20-2019, 08:45 AM
PERS is a neat feature but overall looks worse and is not as well received as in place eye positions. It's cool and all, but my static figures look better than my PERS'd DX's in the eye area.

I totally disagree. I think PERS works really well and looks great.

Bucky Underbelly
02-20-2019, 08:51 AM
Other than showing the partial sculpt without the eyes in place, has Asmus actually confirmed any kind of PERS system? Or are we just speculating? (I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, so it's entirely possible I missed an announcement.) Because I thought PERS, while an interesting experiment, had been pretty widely seen as a failure. It worked well on Jack Sparrow but on Indiana Jones it kind of bombed. Even Hot Toys, has abandoned it these days. (Do they still do it on the occasional Batman?)

Unless we hear it from Asmus directly, I'm remaining very skeptical that they're actually planing something like that.

Life_m2000
02-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Other than showing the partial sculpt without the eyes in place, has Asmus actually confirmed any kind of PERS system? Or are we just speculating? (I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, so it's entirely possible I missed an announcement.) Because I thought PERS, while an interesting experiment, had been pretty widely seen as a failure. It worked well on Jack Sparrow but on Indiana Jones it kind of bombed. Even Hot Toys, has abandoned it these days. (Do they still do it on the occasional Batman?)

Unless we hear it from Asmus directly, I'm remaining very skeptical that they're actually planing something like that.

No it’s all speculation on here. I doubt Gandalf will have it. Think we are seeing how he is constructed which is cool.
Don’t think Hot Toys has fully abandoned it. Think it’s more a cost/price point issue.

rjszar
02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
I only asked if we were getting something similar to PERS originally. Didn't mean to get people going on this. It could be that the eyes will be separate from the head but not movable. Might allow for more realism or just easier production.

Bilbo Skywalker
02-21-2019, 08:54 AM
On a side note, I really hope Asmus makes his hat blue. According to WETA its "Natural Blue". I have never seen the previous version in hand but in all the pics his hat looks to be the exact same color as his robes - which is incorrect.

Bucky Underbelly
02-21-2019, 09:17 AM
I only asked if we were getting something similar to PERS originally. Didn't mean to get people going on this. It could be that the eyes will be separate from the head but not movable. Might allow for more realism or just easier production.

Gotcha. I was afraid I'd missed something. (Which always a possibility with me!) I'm very curious to know the reason why the eyes are cut out of that sculpt, though. I suppose painting the eyes could be easier if they're a separate piece? Or maybe they're making the eyes out of a different, more glass-like material? Or maybe it is a PERS-type system?

It would be great if Asmus could chime in here ... :stick:stick

CrankbaitJon
02-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Sorry but what does PERS stand for? lol.

Bucky Underbelly
02-21-2019, 10:01 AM
I believe it's "Parallel Eyeball Rolling System." It was a technique Hot Toys tried where you could position the eyes of a figure. Worked pretty well on some of their Batman and Joker figures. And Jack Sparrow in particular. On other figures it was ... eh ... less loved.

CrankbaitJon
02-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info! I don't think Asmus has to make the eyeball system parallel. It could be independent movable eyeballs like what HTs are doing these days.

lordnastrond
02-28-2019, 07:16 PM
I am so glad you are doing a new Gandalf. I'm new to the LOTR/Hobbit ASMUS figures (Thorin and Bilbo are amazing!!) but when I looked back and saw your Gandalf I was gutted I missed him, but this updated figure looks even better!!
Out of curiosity, will this be a full figure? I would love to have all the accessories from the first release.
Keep up the good work ASMUS - you are amazing!

asgardianboy
03-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Ah.
Maybe your tinfoil hat is too tight?

Oh warlock664!! My apologies!! I missed your post!! I am terribly sorry!! My bad!!

Oh yes, my tinfoil hat is veeeeeery tight. Unlike yours, which doesn't cover much.
:nana:
m.

asgardianboy
03-01-2019, 09:28 PM
I totally disagree. I think PERS works really well and looks great.

Thanks for the info! I don't think Asmus has to make the eyeball system parallel. It could be independent movable eyeballs like what HTs are doing these days.

According to my limited PERS experience, only with Bespin Luke and the DX02, when PERS was cool, it was extremely so. It was cool when you were able to reposition eyes quickly and without much fuss. That was so on Luke, not so much with Bats. Also, not having to position both eyes separately was very convenient. In summary: for PERS to rock, the PERS mechanism has to be easy to reach (head or hair easy to remove) and easy to change (not having to use tools, synchronous movement of both eyes).

But those are design problems. Then there were execution problems, such as not leaving creepy, unnatural empty spaces between eyes and eyelids, and setting both eyes straight (no crossed eyes, even slightly!). As far as I experienced PERS, HT more or less nailed these issues.

@Bucky Underbelly: I am curious as to the PERS flops you mention. What was the problem with that Indiana Jones?

m.

Bucky Underbelly
03-12-2019, 03:29 PM
May not be a huge surprise, but it was confirmed today that GTG 2.0 is officially one of the next three figures.

The 3 in progress are :

Galadriel, Gandalf the Grey and Elrond.
I will see if I can get some in progress photos for you guys.

The question is, will it be a full figure? Slim? Will there be a "just the head" option?

Bilbo Skywalker
03-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Ah I hope this isn’t a slim release. The bridge base that came with the previous release was sweet.

DioramaMaker
03-13-2019, 12:57 AM
Ah I hope this isn’t a slim release. The bridge base that came with the previous release was sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI seem to remember that they previously made a comment that it's effectively a deluxe release. So it may well have LOTR and Hobbit accessories.

Xman1990
03-13-2019, 03:39 AM
Super excited to see this figure and what it comes with.

CrankbaitJon
03-13-2019, 05:21 AM
Asmus mentioned it will be the ultimate Gandalf. I don't think this will be a slim release.

Bilbo Skywalker
03-13-2019, 07:51 AM
Thats great news! Cannot wait for some new pictures :gandalf

Bucky Underbelly
03-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Very curious to know what will make it an "Ultimate" version. Multiple heads? New diorama base? What other accessories apart from the three staves and his Hobbit scarf (which came with the original release) could he include?

What would you guys like to see?

CrankbaitJon
03-13-2019, 09:44 AM
I think all accessories from the original release plus PERS and rooted beard maybe enough to call it the ultimate version of GtG. I think a new base also.

warlock664
03-13-2019, 09:58 AM
No PERS, please. And since Asmus has never dabbled in moveable eyes, I wouldn't expect it.

Bilbo Skywalker
03-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Bushy rooted eyebrows would make this release that much more realistic. I don’t believe I’ve seen any company do this but did see a custom Saruman with “real” hair glued on and it looked superb. Furthermore, I’ve said it a few times but really hope they nail the correct shade for the wizards hat this time.

“He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver
scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond
the brim of his hat.”

That was the one feature that I feel Gimli is lacking.

WolfBoy
03-13-2019, 06:31 PM
PERS are awful and can go wrong VERY easily.

DioramaMaker
03-13-2019, 11:05 PM
The eyebrows wouldn't be much larger of a stretch than the Hobbit feet, I would think.

In regards to moveable eyes, I don't think Gandalf calls for it, but at the same time there's zero issue if they're independently controlled stalks to move the eyes. Jack Sparrow is a great recent example. Now that being said, I don't see how to easily do it with the rooted hair.

namebrand
03-14-2019, 03:59 AM
Looking forward to seeing how this comes out! I agree that bushy eyebrows are needed!

CrankbaitJon
03-14-2019, 06:05 AM
I think PERS was brought up because some work in progress pics shown was a head/face sculpt with no eyes.

warlock664
03-14-2019, 06:28 AM
I think PERS was brought up because some work in progress pics shown was a head/face sculpt with no eyes.

Yes, they showed a headsculpt with no eyes. But if I had to guess, that's because they plan to assemble the (fixed) eyes separately, not because they want to introduce moveable eyes.

rjszar
03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Yes, they showed a headsculpt with no eyes. But if I had to guess, that's because they plan to assemble the (fixed) eyes separately, not because they want to introduce moveable eyes.

I agree with this. There's no chance they go with PERS.

Life_m2000
03-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Ok Asmus! We are ready for our preview :)

Can’t wait to see and order him.

BagginsOfBagEnd
03-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Ok Asmus! We are ready for our preview :)

Can’t wait to see and order him.

:exactly: What they said!! :pray: :pray:

asgardianboy
03-14-2019, 03:22 PM
PERS are awful and can go wrong VERY easily.

Not necessarily. In my experience, of 2 figs with PERS I've had, both rocked.
But I don't think Asmus is going to do PERS. It would be a great improvement, but they won't bother or dare.
Since they are so familiar with rooted hair, they should go the whole distance and root the eyebrows. That might be easier for them to pull.
And they REALLY should get their act together once and for all regarding headsculpt accuracy. If they fixed that, I wouldn't mind anything else, really...

Accessories:

- Balin's log? (since they seem to have a Balin's tomb in the works)

- Shadowfax? (since Asmus has done horses in the past successfully; sold separately)

- His chariot? (same)

- A Balrog-themed diorama base? I have an idea for it: below the figure, the base would be a bunch of bricks of the Khazad-Dûm's bridge, from which a plume of black smoke would emerge upwards towards the front. Once the plume reached some height and distance from Gandalf, the fume would spread a bit and let see a bit of some huge, irate Balrog head!!
This base would ship disassembled, of course, and choosing the right materials, it wouldn't necessarily weight a lot. It might be feasible in terms of increased cost and shipping.

This will never happen... but it would rock! And the "ultimate Gandalf the Gray" deserves it! :-)

m.

CrankbaitJon
03-15-2019, 05:54 AM
Balrog base might be possible. I mean Legolas had a troll head base so this might be possible. If I can pick, I want rooted eyebrows and Balin's tomb.

hoodonit00
03-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Must be a language barrier here. I don't think "soon" means the same thing in China as it does in other places of the world.:wink1:

CrankbaitJon
03-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Must be a language barrier here. I don't think "soon" means the same thing in China as it does in other places of the world.:wink1:

Asmus already said Gandalf is stuck with the licensing people. I was ready to PO for their store launch :( . Oh well.

hoodonit00
03-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Asmus already said Gandalf is stuck with the licensing people. I was ready to PO for their store launch :( . Oh well.

I was joking but it would sure be nice to see some pics

rjszar
03-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Somebody posted in the Ask Asmus thread that you have to register again. I did using all the same info and I'm in.

Hoody999
03-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Well if its with licencing people "soon"
Is about as accurate as you can get. And until that's done, I'm sure we won't see any pics either unfortunately.

Alatar
03-16-2019, 04:21 AM

Wor-Gar
03-18-2019, 12:35 PM
Well if its with licencing people "soon"
Is about as accurate as you can get. And until that's done, I'm sure we won't see any pics either unfortunately.

I can't wait for people to become "property of the state" so we don't have licensing issues anymore. You know, when the government determines Facebook is too dangerous to remain private and unregulated.

Nitro Spawn
03-19-2019, 03:40 PM
a light up staff would be cool

Bilbo Skywalker
03-20-2019, 01:53 PM
I'm going to look like GtG by the time this comes out :panic:

Asmus
03-21-2019, 03:36 PM
a light up staff would be cool

A light up staff is very difficult, it would take a hand attached to the staff for the feature, like lightsabbers for Star Wars figure

Sixth Scale Man
03-21-2019, 03:39 PM
A light up staff is very difficult, it would take a hand attached to the staff for the feature, like lightsabbers for Star Wars figure

I’d be fine with that! But if that means a longer wait.....yeah......I’d be fine without that too.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nitro Spawn
03-21-2019, 03:45 PM

I didn’t say it would be easy :) lol I’m just the idea guy hahahahaha

really love the lord of the rings work you are doing !!!

asgardianboy
03-21-2019, 05:55 PM

Your guys sure can do that, right Mr. Asmus?
m.

Rzeznikk
03-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Honestly I could do without the light up staff.

I don't like how HT does their lightsabers with it and I never use the feature because it's a pain in the ass. And it's just one more thing that could go wrong or break.

I go with the Cold Cathode Sabers.

I have the Sideshow Premium Format GtG and that has a light up staff as well. Never use it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WolfBoy
03-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Light up features suck. They also eventually die.

DioramaMaker
03-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Yeah pass on the light up staff. Increases cost for an arbitrary and likely finicky feature that is gimmicky at best. I'd rather have that cost go into more accessories and more complex display base options.

rjszar
03-22-2019, 01:57 AM
No light up features.

Stryker2011
03-22-2019, 04:37 AM
Yeah pass on the light up staff. Increases cost for an arbitrary and likely finicky feature that is gimmicky at best. I'd rather have that cost go into more accessories and more complex display base options.

Agreed. It's not necessary. Rooted hair and beard, and a LOTR Ian, rather than Hobbit Ian, will still be an amazing figure.

CrankbaitJon
03-22-2019, 05:21 AM
Keep the costs down, rooted hair and beard are all I need.

Bucky Underbelly
03-22-2019, 08:11 AM
Totally agree. For me light-up features are fun for about five minutes after I open the box. Then I never use them again. I'm sure all of my statues and figures with light up features are, at this very minute -- leaking battery acid all over themselves because I was too lazy to take them out!

Bilbo Skywalker
03-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Agree with the above comments - not a fan of light up features either. Would rather that money go towards a cool display base or something.

lt0778
03-22-2019, 10:53 AM
No lighted feature!!!! Don’t need it.

BagginsOfBagEnd
03-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Agree with the above comments - not a fan of light up features either. Would rather that money go towards a cool display base or something.

:exactly: This!

I never use any of the light-up features on my figures anyway! :lol

scumonkey
03-22-2019, 01:44 PM
light ups no, but not opposed to glow in the dark....?!

Neko
03-22-2019, 04:14 PM
light ups no, but not opposed to glow in the dark....?!

That's a brilliant idea.
:)

FlyAndFight
03-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Definitely would like a light up staff for Gandalf. Make it an option for a "Deluxe" version. Please both camps.

Manannin
03-23-2019, 01:11 PM
I don't need a light up staff. But having said that, if it was an option in a deluxe set I would go for the deluxe. I can't help myself! Like Legolas, even though I don't have cave troll plans I got that one :legolas

Hoody999
05-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Any more info on this ?

Chopper Face
06-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Details are on Asmus’ site now. $350 USD

ASMUS TOYS THE CROWN SERIES : GANDLAF THE GREY

(Product ID: CRW001)

The Crown series Gandalf the Grey Sixth Scale Figure features:

· Asmus ADAM body

· Approximately 30 cm tall

· Over 36 points of articulation

Features :

· Super detailed head sculpt accurately to the movie actor, with hand glued real wool beard and hair.

· Rotatable eyeballs

· One pair palm opened aged man hand

· One pair relax gesture aged man hand

· One pair of weapon holding gesture aged man hand

· One finger pointing gesture aged man left hand

· One reading gesture aged man left hand

Special features on Clothing:

· One handmade fabric made wizard hat

· One dark grey robe

· One dark grey cape

· One soil grey inner shirt

· One pair of dark blue pants

.One blue leather belt with pattern printing

· One pair of handmade fabric boots

Special features in weapons:

· Glamdring (with elvish printing)

· Two wizard staff

. One Gandalf’s pipe

Accessories:

· One Asmus Toys Crown series display base with Hobbiton diorama

Special features:

. The diary of Moria

Wor-Gar
06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Sounds good.

Asmus, I think you need to change the title of this thread to "Crown Series: Gandalf the Grey"

Just click the thread title and it will allow you to change it as the OP.

hoodonit00
06-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Can’t wait to see what Hobbiton diorama is. I know what I would like it to be but that seems a little big to pull off.

Hoody999
06-24-2019, 02:29 PM
What's Asmus' track record and quality like compared to Hot Toys for example ? I've never bought one of their figures. However this one does appeal. Such a classic character with rooted hair, well sort of (for want of a better word)

Looks pretty damn good in that proto. But then protos are always protos and not production. I wonder how long they worked on that beard hair to make it look that good ?

I wish there were a few more pictures than just the one.....

https://store.asmustoys.com/product-Gandalf-the-Grey-CRW001.htm

Original looks pretty average for a "high end" figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkgIPXydfTk

rjszar
06-24-2019, 02:29 PM
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/middle-earth-hobbit-lotr-action-figures/231352-idea-aragorn-helms-deep-version.html
Helm's Deeo Aragorn

Chopper Face
06-24-2019, 02:38 PM
The diorama piece definitely won’t be his carriage- price would go even more through the roof. The only feasible/recognisable enough option in my mind is the gate to Bilbo’s house with the ‘no admittance except on party business’ sign. Anything else would just be an indistinguishable grassy patch- unless they go the Hot Toys route and provide a cardboard backdrop of Bilbos door?

George13
06-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Is Asmus going to sell the head sculpt alone?

hoodonit00
06-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Is Asmus going to sell the head sculpt alone?

For those who bought the original only

Travis Baumann
06-24-2019, 04:22 PM
For those who bought the original only

How does this work? I don't see any details on the website about it.

DioramaMaker
06-24-2019, 04:31 PM
I am eager to pre-order, but want to order stateside if possible; not because I don't want to give Asmus direct payment but because I want to have a mint box. I suspect that these will have very nice, DX styled packages, and 2 of the 3 boxes I've ordered from Asmus have come damaged because the shipper didn't protect them.

hoodonit00
06-24-2019, 04:32 PM
How does this work? I don't see any details on the website about it.

I think you have to send a picture of the number on the box along with your order

Rzeznikk
06-24-2019, 11:10 PM
The diorama piece definitely won’t be his carriage- price would go even more through the roof. The only feasible/recognisable enough option in my mind is the gate to Bilbo’s house with the ‘no admittance except on party business’ sign. Anything else would just be an indistinguishable grassy patch- unless they go the Hot Toys route and provide a cardboard backdrop of Bilbos door?

I'd guess you are probably right with the gate, but I'd really love it to be the Door like this.

Much like they did with the door diorama for the Hateful Eight set. Bit that might be asking too much.

But I'd still love it. I'd buy it stand alone for my Bilbo even.458719

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CrankbaitJon
06-25-2019, 05:59 AM
I am eager to pre-order, but want to order stateside if possible; not because I don't want to give Asmus direct payment but because I want to have a mint box. I suspect that these will have very nice, DX styled packages, and 2 of the 3 boxes I've ordered from Asmus have come damaged because the shipper didn't protect them.

Yikes! Asmus, please pack these well! I collect the boxes as well. I am sure the Crown line will have really nice boxes so please get your shipper to pack them well!!!!!

Life_m2000
06-25-2019, 06:15 AM
Yikes! Asmus, please pack these well! I collect the boxes as well. I am sure the Crown line will have really nice boxes so please get your shipper to pack them well!!!!!

I’ve not had any issue with damaged boxes from Asmus, they normally come very well packed.

BrooklynWolf X
06-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Well, you can consider a few things when you order from asmus:

1- you're going to get the figure earlier than the rest of the distributors.
2- free shipping
3- I used to be like you, with being very concerned with the box needing to be mint. It took a while, but I realized that the contents are more important. Of course if you're planning on selling the figure someday, I can see why a mint box would be important.

DioramaMaker
06-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Yeah I'm picturing the boxes to be akin to the DX Sparrow box. Maybe something that looks like a book.

I’ve not had any issue with damaged boxes from Asmus, they normally come very well packed.

I've only ever received them shipped in fairly thin shipper sleeves. Thinner than HT uses.

Well, you can consider a few things when you order from asmus:

1- you're going to get the figure earlier than the rest of the distributors.
2- free shipping
3- I used to be like you, with being very concerned with the box needing to be mint. It took a while, but I realized that the contents are more important. Of course if you're planning on selling the figure someday, I can see why a mint box would be important.

I display select boxes on top of my detolfs. So a box with a crushed corner, one that we're theorizing to be rather elegant, would be a buzzkill. Plenty of work goes into the art and design of the boxes and packaging, I feel it is important to admire and display that as well. It is part of the complete package.

My OG Gandalf box looked like someone sat on it, my Thorin box is crushed on the corner, and my Gimli box was bent at the midline. The only 100% safe figure to date has been Bilbo. That tells me the shippers aren't up to snuff.

rjszar
06-25-2019, 10:02 AM
I've had varying success with packages coming from Asmus. Some have arrived damaged.

ladyshanz
06-25-2019, 11:26 AM
I’ve only ordered directly from Asmus once, and it came in pristine condition. I did pay for faster shipping, though, and had it delivered to a Fed-ex pick-up location.

Rzeznikk
06-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Yeah I'm picturing the boxes to be akin to the DX Sparrow box. Maybe something that looks like a book.

I've only ever received them shipped in fairly thin shipper sleeves. Thinner than HT uses.

I display select boxes on top of my detolfs. So a box with a crushed corner, one that we're theorizing to be rather elegant, would be a buzzkill. Plenty of work goes into the art and design of the boxes and packaging, I feel it is important to admire and display that as well. It is part of the complete package.

My OG Gandalf box looked like someone sat on it, my Thorin box is crushed on the corner, and my Gimli box was bent at the midline. The only 100% safe figure to date has been Bilbo. That tells me the shippers aren't up to snuff.I do the same with displaying some of the better looking Boxes. It would be a buzz kill with this one since it's likely one I'd want to display hope they do a great job packing this one.

BrooklynWolf X
06-25-2019, 04:50 PM

My OG Gandalf box looked like someone sat on it, my Thorin box is crushed on the corner, and my Gimli box was bent at the midline. The only 100% safe figure to date has been Bilbo. That tells me the shippers aren't up to snuff.

Holy crap! Haha dang dude, I had no idea it was THAT bad. I can see why you'd hesitate getting it direct from asmus. Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken, on the order page, right before you complete the transaction, I think you can leave a note? Sorry I can't confirm this to you, as I was in a rush getting my PO's through.

FlyAndFight
06-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Well, I caved...

Crown Gandalf the Gray has been pre-ordered. Don't want to regret getting it later on.

Hopefully the sculpt is available separately as well.

xipotec
06-26-2019, 05:36 AM
350 is way too much

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 07:01 AM
350 is way too much

Details are on Asmus’ site now. $350 USD

ASMUS TOYS THE CROWN SERIES : GANDLAF THE GREY

(Product ID: CRW001)

The Crown series Gandalf the Grey Sixth Scale Figure features:

· Asmus ADAM body

· Approximately 30 cm tall

· Over 36 points of articulation

Features :

· Super detailed head sculpt accurately to the movie actor, with hand glued real wool beard and hair.

· Rotatable eyeballs

· One pair palm opened aged man hand

· One pair relax gesture aged man hand

· One pair of weapon holding gesture aged man hand

· One finger pointing gesture aged man left hand

· One reading gesture aged man left hand

Special features on Clothing:

· One handmade fabric made wizard hat

· One dark grey robe

· One dark grey cape

· One soil grey inner shirt

· One pair of dark blue pants

.One blue leather belt with pattern printing

· One pair of handmade fabric boots

Special features in weapons:

· Glamdring (with elvish printing)

· Two wizard staff

. One Gandalf’s pipe

Accessories:

· One Asmus Toys Crown series display base with Hobbiton diorama

Special features:

. The diary of Moria$350 is too much for all this??

I think not.

CrankbaitJon
06-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Value is quite subjective. $350 is high but I ordered one. I have high expectation for it, especially the head sculpt. I'm willing to pay this kind of money for Aragorn and Legolas but probably not for the other characters.

warlock664
06-26-2019, 07:44 AM
350 is way too much

You get what you pay for.
If the $$ is too much, maybe pick up the ToyBiz 12” Gandalf or Sideshow’s 1:6 effort. :dunno

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Value is quite subjective. $350 is high but I ordered one. I have high expectation for it, especially the head sculpt. I'm willing to pay this kind of money for Aragorn and Legolas but probably not for the other characters.I have high Hope's too, Asmus claims this will be extremely limited. I'd rather preorder in Hope's this turns out great. If it doesn't I can always cancel. Better to eat $20 than sleep on it and it sells out and is a true masterpiece of a collectible and starts fetching real money on the after market.

Yes, $350 is a lot of money, but people seem to be forgetting how much time and effort goes into hairing a figure. Especially bearding as well. You wont get that level of work done for $350 from a custom artist, and hell you'd have already had to buy the figure to begin with. You'll be in $500-$1000 range when it's all said and done. Maybe even more.

So I really have to shake my head and chuckle when I'm seeing people complain about this price.

Fremen
06-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Ordered.

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Oh lordy.45885945886045886145886245886345886445886545 8866458867458868

Bilbo Skywalker
06-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Everything looks great except for the hat being the wrong color... his hat is blue Asmus!

Stark Resilient
06-26-2019, 09:20 AM
I hope we can get that head sculpt separately.. It looks fantastic.

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 09:21 AM
I hope we can get that head sculpt separately.. It looks fantastic.They made mention it will be available to those that have the first release.

Kalkylen
06-26-2019, 10:40 AM
Looking good although why did you get rid of the blue trim from his sleeves and bottom part of his robe? He does still have that detail in his Fellowship costume.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ladyshanz
06-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Overall I love it, but I can’t shake the feeling that the hilt of Glamdring and the scabbard are too bright? And his hat is a soft blue?

For the cost, I don’t feel like I’m not-picking. 😂

Wor-Gar
06-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Looks very nice... but the real show-stealer is the head of course.

his hat is blue Asmus!

He had a blue hat? Is that the toys influence?

I hope we can get that head sculpt separately.. It looks fantastic.

Yeah, I definitely want that head.

I have to really study the pictures -- I need to see what's changed from the last Gandalf.

This figure looks like a must-have for new collectors. But for people with their last Gandalf, maybe not quite the upgrade needed. This head on the old outfit looks like it will make a fantastic Gandalf.

Might need that hat though too. :D

Life_m2000
06-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Cant wait!,https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/c6f2db39aacae25209d32e5c57550620.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/fa541bbdd5dc3008137f14294e5dc701.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/957dbdd8983b3b46c651f7e4ba39a4e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Bilbo Skywalker
06-26-2019, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Wor-Gar;10137525]Looks very nice... but the real show-stealer is the head of course.

He had a blue hat? Is that the toys influence?

Yeah Wor, the actual prop color is “natural blue/grey”.
It’s also blue according to the books and visible in certain scenes in the movies depending on how much they edited each shot.
I attached pics of the weta statue and a pic from FOTR.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/95f937b1ee07db11fe2e123a3d78f21d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/fce542765054d5f5e262aa76b4427515.jpg

JonWes
06-26-2019, 11:16 AM
I have high Hope's too, Asmus claims this will be extremely limited. I'd rather preorder in Hope's this turns out great. If it doesn't I can always cancel. Better to eat $20 than sleep on it and it sells out and is a true masterpiece of a collectible and starts fetching real money on the after market.lk

This is a good point. I am skittish about Asmus's ability to deliver a final product that looks as good as this. Although the price is high, Gandalf is one of my favorite characters in all of fiction. So I'm willing to pay the price for something that's truly of great quality. But I guess it's a good point that if the pics look awful it's cancellable.

Bucky Underbelly
06-26-2019, 11:21 AM

I wasn't a big fan of them doing this with PERS ... until I saw this picture.

Damn.

Yeah, they're getting my money.

Kalkylen
06-26-2019, 11:23 AM
The hat should definitely be light blue :) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/b4330ec6a94b834409dc8f969f0bd3d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/563e023702e5512dca7bfa82e22b8ec2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/f35055ca7eb40572bc8ac3fc342476e6.jpg

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 11:29 AM
It's a very dull grey/blue.

nosha4701
06-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Apart from the amazing head upgrade, I don’t see anything changes with the figure. Costume and accessories wise have been re-use from the previous release (should give us wired hat to addressed the pointed bendy hat from the movie). In fact I think they have downgraded some of the accessories. Ver 1.0 comes with 3 staffs (additional from The Hobbit movie), his scarf and parted bridge of Moria diorama and still cost about $200-250. I owned the Ver 1.0 and it still is one of my favorite 1/6 collection.

Don’t get me wrong, while this piece is a work of art, I don’t see the point of a whopping value increase to $350 which I think the unreveal Hobbiton diorama should be really extraordinary with this kind of value increase. At this price point, I would also expect a light up staff.

I think there is more point in giving the Moria tomb diorama which they’ve teased awhile back and goes great together with the diary from Moria that he comes with. Well, just have to wait and see.

ladyshanz
06-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Yeah, the hilt and scabbard are way too bright. They should be more of a navy blue. I attached some pictures for reference. I have a replica of his sword by United Cutlery, and it looks how it does in all these pictures - a more muted, navy blue. Attached are photos of it in the film, promo shots, behind the scenes, and my own UC sword and a link to images of the version done by Weta’s master sword smith. ATTACH=CONFIG]458871[/ATTACH]458873458874458875458875 458876

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99101

hoodonit00
06-26-2019, 11:40 AM
I wasn't a big fan of them doing this with PERS ... until I saw this picture.

Damn.

Yeah, they're getting my money.

Groan. Yea, mine too.

CrankbaitJon
06-26-2019, 12:18 PM
The bright blue sword is an interesting take. It looks really sharp but I think Asmus will dull it down for the final product. Movie accurate or not, I prefer the hat to match the color or his robes.

dukefett
06-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Is there a reason there's 2 threads for Gandalf? They're the same thing right?

ladyshanz
06-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Is there a reason there's 2 threads for Gandalf? They're the same thing right?

I think this one is technically for the new one, and the other one is technically for the first Gandalf they did, but contains discussions for this new one too.

Sixth Scale Man
06-26-2019, 01:32 PM
Could “Crown Series” be added to the thread title?
Also, this is looking amazing. I need a Gandalf for my Frodo and Sam. I hope they reveal the diorama soon. That will probably up me into pre-ordering if I can see the value, cos $350 is up there!

Protozaius
06-26-2019, 01:53 PM
I didn't buy their other Gandalf the Grey, so I was really excited about this new version... until I saw the price.

I'm going to wait a little on this one... hopefully it won't sell out before I make my decision.

Wor-Gar
06-26-2019, 02:29 PM
I hope Asmus will join us here and point out what has been improved or changed (and what has not) since their last Gandalf the Grey.

I really love their pictures and the figure overall looks like it has been well-futzed... but right now all I really want is that head (and maybe hat).

Yeah Wor, the actual prop color is “natural blue/grey”.
It’s also blue according to the books

Ah, I didn't know that. Cool. Let's get it a little blue/grey then.

FlyAndFight
06-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Hopefully the extra head sculpt is available to ship at the same time as the figure, same as they did with the slim Aragorn.

davejames
06-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Never been a huge LOTR fan (don't hate me), but McKellen was fantastic in the movies and this just looks way too cool to pass up, so I went ahead and ordered.

$350 is definitely a lot, but if they can actually make the final product look that good then it would be worth it.

Stryker2011
06-26-2019, 04:22 PM
I’m curious why we haven’t seen anything official about the separate head sculpt.

Thainitty
06-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Looking really great asmus....are the boots plastic or cloth? I agree with others here that glamdring should be a darker tone and if it’s possible to match the hat color to the prop I’m for it. If it will make the hat look too blue then grey is good

xipotec
06-26-2019, 05:33 PM
I have high Hope's too, Asmus claims this will be extremely limited. I'd rather preorder in Hope's this turns out great. If it doesn't I can always cancel. Better to eat $20 than sleep on it and it sells out and is a true masterpiece of a collectible and starts fetching real money on the after market.

Yes, $350 is a lot of money, but people seem to be forgetting how much time and effort goes into hairing a figure. Especially bearding as well. You wont get that level of work done for $350 from a custom artist, and hell you'd have already had to buy the figure to begin with. You'll be in $500-$1000 range when it's all said and done. Maybe even more.

So I really have to shake my head and chuckle when I'm seeing people complain about this price.

So, while the rest of the 1/6 world is charging sub-300 prices for basically the same amount of items (or more) this gets a pass cause its got hair?

And you guys think I am funny......

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 05:38 PM
So, while the rest of the 1/6 world is charging sub-300 prices for basically the same amount of items (or more) this gets a pass cause its got hair?

And you guys think I am funny......

Exactly. If you aren't familiar with the labor and time that is evolved with hairing a figure I'd suggest looking into it. $350 is a steal in my book.

dukefett
06-26-2019, 05:39 PM
Is Asmus themselves the only place to order this?

davejames
06-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Exactly. If you aren't familiar with the labor and time that is evolved with hairing a figure I'd suggest looking into it. $350 is a steal in my book.

Not to mention the cost of paying for a much better custom sculpt on that level.

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Not to mention the cost of paying for a much better custom sculpt on that level.Yeah, I'm baffled at how people are figuring this is too expensive? Like....what?

You're getting the base figure which was what? $200-250 when it was released?
Swap the Bridge base with a Hobbiton Diorama Base and you are getting a book with what looks like real pages minus the one staff.

Then add the better sculpt/paint and now the real hair and beard. Im pretty sure that's worth the extra $100-150.

hoodonit00
06-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Is Asmus themselves the only place to order this?

I forget where I read it but they did say it would be available at a few select dealers.

SherlockSnicket
06-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Looks fantastic!

Would be great if the colour of the hat could be changed, but the figure still looks great as it is!

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Honestly though, who plans on displaying him wearing his hat covering that brilliant sculpt and hair? [emoji38]

SherlockSnicket
06-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Honestly though, who plans on displaying him wearing his hat covering that brilliant sculpt and hair? [emoji38]

On the other hand, it's Gandalf! Who wouldn't want to display him with his hat?

Wor-Gar
06-26-2019, 09:18 PM
On the other hand, it's Gandalf! Who wouldn't want to display him with his hat?

There's truth to this. Fortunately there's two.

Glad the White doesn't have a hat.

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 09:51 PM
On the other hand, it's Gandalf! Who wouldn't want to display him with his hat?I'm actually hoping to get in on the "head only" option as well as I have two Gandalf displays. I'd likely display him with (using Sideshows hat) and without. Heres my one custom without the hat.458916458918

Rzeznikk
06-26-2019, 09:54 PM
And heres my display with the hat.458919

Sixth Scale Man
06-26-2019, 09:56 PM
So close to pre-ordering. I hope Asmus reveal the Hobbiton base soon. The updated head sculpt and beard look amazing but I need to see the value in the base before hitting the button. Gah!

BrooklynWolf X
06-26-2019, 10:23 PM
On one hand...this figure looks unbelievable. Nothing could've prepared me to just how amazing it looks. And I can't wait to get it...

On the other hand...

HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT?? I need this in my veins now!!

Amazing job asmus!!

Life_m2000
06-26-2019, 11:39 PM
Really don’t understand why people are giving out about the $350 price point.
It’s basically a custom head with all the rooting they have to do plus the moveable eyes in to the bargain.
Think people need to get a grip.
Go and ask for a private commission of Gandalf’s head off a few of the sculptors out there and ask them for the same quality as the prototype we’ve seen and they will give you a price somewhere between $400 -$800.

BrooklynWolf X
06-26-2019, 11:59 PM
Really don’t understand why people are giving out about the $350 price point.
It’s basically a custom head with all the rooting they have to do plus the moveable eyes in to the bargain.
Think people need to get a grip.
Go and ask for a private commission of Gandalf’s head off a few of the sculptors out there and ask them for the same quality as the prototype we’ve seen and they will give you a price somewhere between $400 -$800.

Well i don't think it's unreasonable for people to be concerned about the price. Outside of maybe 1 or two releases that came with an elaborate display, all of asmus' releases have cost $200 and under. Granted, what's being offered here outclasses previous releases...maybe it hasn't sunken in yet? I too think it's worth every penny...oh and bonus, this new HS is also being offered to those that owned the previous Gandalf! This practice has been something I wished HT did for a long time. Give their consumers the option for an upgrade.

Thank you asmus for providing your fans the option for an upgrade. Your dedication to your fans really shows.

Asmus
06-27-2019, 12:14 AM
Well i don't think it's unreasonable for people to be concerned about the price. Outside of maybe 1 or two releases that came with an elaborate display, all of asmus' releases have cost $200 and under. Granted, what's being offered here outclasses previous releases...maybe it hasn't sunken in yet? I too think it's worth every penny...oh and bonus, this new HS is also being offered to those that owned the previous Gandalf! This practice has been something I wished HT did for a long time. Give their consumers the option for an upgrade.

Thank you asmus for providing your fans the option for an upgrade. Your dedication to your fans really shows.

thank you so much for understanding our intention.
we meant well, that was all.

K.bowen
06-27-2019, 12:25 AM
Will we know on here when the headsculpt is up for order ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

denrep-lilium
06-27-2019, 02:54 AM
Will we know on here when the headsculpt is up for order ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

And should we confirm we own the first version, or it will be just a limited release for everybody who grabs it?

Timemeddler
06-27-2019, 03:48 AM
And should we confirm we own the first version, or it will be just a limited release for everybody who grabs it?

Asmus have clearly stated that you can only buy the replacement head on it's own if you purchased their original Gandalf the Grey figure. They are ONLY selling it as an upgrade to the original sculpt. If you don't have the original figure, they you can't have the new head!

As there were only 1500 of those released, then that is the maximum number of separate headsculpts that Asmus will produce and sell; less if not everyone that bought the original figure wants the new head. You will need to provide a photograph of the issue number which can be found on the inlay card inside the box. For example, mine is 228/1500.

I believe Asmus will post instructions on here as to how we place our orders once they are ready...

Jbeltram4
06-27-2019, 03:54 AM
I think the best part of everyone complaining is the inevitable sell out, seeing these in others collections, and then kicking themselves for passing. Of course they’ll head to eBay then and get raped. If I’ve learned one thing in this hobby, it’s if you love it and want it, grab it while it’s there cause it’ll be even more painful later.

hoodonit00
06-27-2019, 04:10 AM
I think the best part of everyone complaining is the inevitable sell out, seeing these in others collections, and then kicking themselves for passing. Of course they’ll head to eBay then and get raped. If I’ve learned one thing in this hobby, it’s if you love it and want it, grab it while it’s there cause it’ll be even more painful later.

Your post is probably the one that is going to make me order. No doubt that this is a work of art. I am just having trouble committing. I actually had it in the cart last night and deleted it. I really wish that we could see the base or at least hear what they envision.

Doodlebob7
06-27-2019, 05:41 AM
Any chance I can preorder this through sideshow?

darkeyes
06-27-2019, 05:49 AM
I am having trouble finding my original Gandalf box. Hope there is another option to prove I have the figure, like photographs or my original order emails.

Asmus
06-27-2019, 06:20 AM
Any chance I can preorder this through sideshow?

If you don't see our awsome surprise show up in their booth on SDCC, then don't count on it.

Asmus
06-27-2019, 06:22 AM
I am having trouble finding my original Gandalf box. Hope there is another option to prove I have the figure, like photographs or my original order emails.

Don't worry, please wait for our announcement, we will figure something out.

slamscaper
06-27-2019, 06:40 AM
$330 at bbts

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rzeznikk
06-27-2019, 06:47 AM
$330 at bbts

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkAfter shipping and taxes it comes out over the flat $350 Asmus is charging. I'll stick with Asmus order.

slamscaper
06-27-2019, 06:47 AM
Just letting folks know he's up is all.

Rzeznikk
06-27-2019, 06:51 AM
Your post is probably the one that is going to make me order. No doubt that this is a work of art. I am just having trouble committing. I actually had it in the cart last night and deleted it. I really wish that we could see the base or at least hear what they envision.There's no NRD on bbts.com. worse case scenario you cant make it work $ or final product is no good you can cancel no problem.

Personally I'd rather secure it and not run the risk of it selling out.

Rzeznikk
06-27-2019, 06:55 AM
$330 at bbts

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

slamscaper
06-27-2019, 07:07 AM
This is for for those that let go of their boxes. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190627/1b9b2d10d2748561188725fc7581206f.jpg

dukefett
06-27-2019, 08:13 AM
On one hand...this figure looks unbelievable. Nothing could've prepared me to just how amazing it looks. And I can't wait to get it...

On the other hand...

HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT?? I need this in my veins now!!

Amazing job asmus!!

BBTS lists it as Q1 2020, so not very long. I'm going to Preorder it there, if it's Q12020 maybe I can work it as my Christmas gift from my fiance haha. At $330+ tax and $4 shipping it's about $10 more than from Asmus direct.

Bucky Underbelly
06-27-2019, 08:17 AM
Plus, BBTS's shipping boxes are the best in the business. I swear those things are made of Adamantium.

hoodonit00
06-27-2019, 08:24 AM
Plus, BBTS's shipping boxes are the best in the business. I swear those things are made of Adamantium.

SNIKT!!!

rjszar
06-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Not sure I am getting the head since I ordered the full figure. I might, but also not sure where my box is. Maybe use order history or paypal receipt as proof.

DioramaMaker
06-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Yeah with the diorama base and premium nature of the fig, I had to go with BBTS with regards to shipping security. That's going to be a heavy box with weird weight distribution.

superdoug
06-27-2019, 11:27 AM
If you don't see our awsome surprise show up in their booth on SDCC, then don't count on it.

Any chance we can find out what the surprise is early? :)

jra81984
06-27-2019, 11:34 AM
I am curious to see what the base is. Is it going to be fabricated like the Hateful 8 base or will it be a stand with a cardboard backdrop?

BagginsOfBagEnd
06-27-2019, 12:15 PM
I didn't buy their other Gandalf the Grey, so I was really excited about this new version... until I saw the price.

I'm going to wait a little on this one... hopefully it won't sell out before I make my decision.

Yeah me too, I was originally in for both Grey and White versions (this was before the Crown line was announced), but as I'm sure I read somewhere that the White version was also going to be a crown release (and possibly the new Aragorn) I think it will now have to be just one Gandalf as I can't afford to get them both at that price point.

I get the whole thing about the higher quality and extra workmanship etc that goes into the line, you only need to look at the figure to see how superior it is, but I have to be realistic and stay in budget. So hoping GTW is previewed soon so I can make my decision. :)

Bilbo Skywalker
06-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Does BBTS bill you instantly or do they wait until the figure ships? I’ve only ever used Sideshow/eBay. Thanks in advance

Star Puffs
06-27-2019, 12:33 PM

My daughter has a few giant BBTS boxes for her “fort,” and yeah, they’re pretty much indestructible.

Also, ordered this figure.

Sassafras
06-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Well, I just Po'd from BBTS. I am keeping my original and probably will upgrade sculpt. That way I can have one Gandalf with hat, one no hat. I'm less into Gandalf the White than many.

I like the idea of the wandering Grey Pilgrim

egel
06-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Hoping my LCS get this too. Not really keen on ordering direct with import fees and all that.

Wor-Gar
06-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Anyone notice costume changes on this figure that are different from the last Grey? The original Grey was from the Hobbit and this one is from LOTR, correct? So I expect some differences, like the trim color on his robe, etc.

thebreen
06-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Well, I caved in and ordered at BBTS. I like ordering from them as the shipping is cheap, I don't have to pay an NRD (for most items, including Gandalf) and they automatically charge state sales tax so I don't have to keep track of it for my tax budget. I might cancel the order if I can get the head sculpt separately, but I didn't want to risk missing out on ordering as I consider this character a 'must have'... And a 'must upgrade'.

I look forward to more news about the figure, and finding out what this SDCC 'surprise' is!

Wor-Gar
06-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'm torn on the must upgrade.

I'm definitely getting the head. It looks absolutely amazing. But I think that's all I need to get the 'Crown' effect on my v1 Gandalf. I think...

I might crack though. It wouldn't take much. :lol

Kalkylen
06-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Anyone notice costume changes on this figure that are different from the last Grey? The original Grey was from the Hobbit and this one is from LOTR, correct? So I expect some differences, like the trim color on his robe, etc.The base costume is exactly the same in both trilogies. Both have the faded blue stitching trim to the arms and lower robe. In Fellowship he has a stitched repair to the right arm above the cuff. He wears two different cloaks in Fellowship, one with a hood (Bag End arrival then into Orthanc) then one with no hood into Moria. Both are heavily worn with tattered edges. Two staffs; one he loses to Saruman the other (the one with the glowing stone) in the Balrog battle.

The main difference is he wears a long silver scarf in The Hobbit and has the barley twist style staff (gets destroyed in Dol Guldur). One cloak throughout, with a hood. This cloak is not tattered.

Hat, bags, belts, boots and sword is the same.

Hoody999
06-27-2019, 01:54 PM
I'm actually hoping to get in on the "head only" option as well as I have two Gandalf displays. I'd likely display him with (using Sideshows hat) and without. Heres my one custom without the hat.458983

That looks pretty damn sweet ! Do you have any more closeups of Gandalf ?

Lejuan
06-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I'm torn on the must upgrade.

I'm definitely getting the head. It looks absolutely amazing. But I think that's all I need to get the 'Crown' effect on my v1 Gandalf. I think...

I might crack though. It wouldn't take much. :lol

No cracking for me... the current exchange rate makes this a $500+ set.

Rzeznikk
06-27-2019, 02:40 PM
That looks pretty damn sweet ! Do you have any more closeups of Gandalf ?I know the new Asmus one smashes this, but I will still keep it for one of my displays. Was able to secure this sculpt for I think $90 on Ebay awhile back and was pretty happy with it. I did end up repainting the eyes and added a bit of brown in the beard in parts.458986458987

Wor-Gar
06-27-2019, 05:11 PM
The base costume is exactly the same in both trilogies. Both have the faded blue stitching trim to the arms and lower robe. In Fellowship he has a stitched repair to the right arm above the cuff. He wears two different cloaks in Fellowship, one with a hood (Bag End arrival then into Orthanc) then one with no hood into Moria. Both are heavily worn with tattered edges. Two staffs; one he loses to Saruman the other (the one with the glowing stone) in the Balrog battle.

The main difference is he wears a long silver scarf in The Hobbit and has the barley twist style staff (gets destroyed in Dol Guldur). One cloak throughout, with a hood. This cloak is not tattered.

Hat, bags, belts, boots and sword is the same.

Perfect. Thank you.

And his belt is a woven fabric, not leather, as implied by the Asmus brown belt?

Chopper Face
06-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Asmus, can you tell us which ‘select stores’ we will be able to order through?
I feel the urge to buy this thing immediately but am not seeing it up on my preferred site (KG Hobby) yet.

Rzeznikk
06-27-2019, 07:27 PM
I feel the urge to buy this thing immediately but am not seeing it up on my preferred site (KG Hobby) yet.Www.bbts.com

TurdFurgusonsHat
06-27-2019, 11:24 PM
Only LOTR figures I have are three ACI ringwraiths with the Asmus horse. But I ordered this to stand next to them. Really hope this great looking prototype holds up in production!

Kalkylen
06-28-2019, 12:01 AM
Perfect. Thank you.

And his belt is a woven fabric, not leather, as implied by the Asmus brown belt?Yeah the belt is a finely woven thick cotton. The Asmus version looks close to be fair, maybe just needs a paint wash to make the details pop.

Doodlebob7
06-28-2019, 12:36 AM
Only LOTR figures I have are three ACI ringwraiths with the Asmus horse. But I ordered this to stand next to them. Really hope this great looking prototype holds up in production!

In gimli we trust

Hoody999
06-28-2019, 03:22 AM
I know the new Asmus one smashes this, but I will still keep it for one of my displays. Was able to secure this sculpt for I think $90 on Ebay awhile back and was pretty happy with it. I did end up repainting the eyes and added a bit of brown in the beard in parts.458986458987

I really shouldn't have subscribed to this thread.....the temptation :lol

I feel the urge to buy this thing immediately but am not seeing it up on my preferred site (KG Hobby) yet.

Yes I'd be interested if KG or other asian sellers will be selling. Especially for those people outside of the USA.

CrankbaitJon
06-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Ask KG on their FB, I ordered from Asmus this time. Normally I go through KG.

Rzeznikk
06-28-2019, 06:10 AM
Up for PO on TNS at $340. Free world wide shipping.

hoodonit00
06-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Up for PO on TNS at $340. Free world wide shipping.

I'm guessing they are trust worthy? I see they have a Wolverine figure there that was due in Q-4 of 18?

Jbeltram4
06-28-2019, 06:58 AM
I use TNS a lot from Facebook and have had zero problems with them. If you’re on Facebook, they’re allowing payment plans of $42 a month.

hoodonit00
06-28-2019, 07:32 AM
I use TNS a lot from Facebook and have had zero problems with them. If you’re on Facebook, they’re allowing payment plans of $42 a month.

Thanks.

Rizor
06-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Placed an order with BBTS. This figure looks great, but I had the last Aragorn on preorder before, but the final product didn't look that great and cancelled. Hopefully this one comes out great!

rjszar
06-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Up for pre-order at KGHobby for only $293 plus shipping

Wor-Gar
06-28-2019, 09:59 AM
Up for pre-order at KGHobby for only $293 plus shipping

What's shipping to USA... $50?

Stryker2011
06-28-2019, 11:15 AM

They're shipping is usually what makes me not order from them. Pricey to say the least.

CrankbaitJon
06-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Depends on your area, I save with KG even though they charge shipping because I've been able to avoid customs fees so far.

Hoody999
06-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Roughly around that I'd say. I think I usually pay around €30 to Europe.

dukefett
06-28-2019, 02:56 PM

If you put the fay in full item (gives a 3% discount, so it's $284) in your cart it tells you the shipping:

Registered Airmail via Hong Kong Post US $18
EMS Airmail via Hong Kong Post US $51

I honestly don't really believe the $18 price, but if they send it to you the slow method and is fine, that's a steal.

TNS Figures also has it up for $340 shipped.

Rzeznikk
06-28-2019, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing they are trust worthy? I see they have a Wolverine figure there that was due in Q-4 of 18?Yeah I've ordered several items form them no issues yet.

Chopper Face
06-29-2019, 06:07 AM
At last I got my PO in at KG Hobby. Paid in HKD and including shipping the converted cost only comes up to $311 USD so I’m counting that as a win.

Rydeck
06-29-2019, 06:50 AM
It looks like Asmus hasn't limited it to too few vendors. Crown Gandalf is up for pre-order at Timewalker Toys for $339.99; One Sixth Outfitters for $334.99; EKIA Hobbies for $356.86; and Monkey Depot for $367.99.

The product page on Asmus's website also says "Low inventory: 9". Did Asmus give a production number for this? A few hundred?

Wor-Gar
06-29-2019, 09:37 AM
If you put the fay in full item (gives a 3% discount, so it's $284) in your cart it tells you the shipping:

EMS Airmail via Hong Kong Post US $51

So $335 shipped. In line with everyone else.

davejames
06-29-2019, 09:51 AM
Damn, looks like I shouldn't have rushed to buy straight from Asmus the first day. Oh well, not the first time I've paid more for a figure than I should have. :lol

whitd
06-29-2019, 09:55 AM
Has Asmus said if the diorama base and book will be available for sale separately along with the head? I have the first Gandalf Gray, and I’m not sure if I should be ordering this or not.

hoodonit00
06-29-2019, 10:42 AM
I’m trying to order but keeps telling me to enter “country”. Anyone else having trouble?

scumonkey
06-29-2019, 02:13 PM
If shipping is a bit more with Asmus I'm good with it because you get the figure so much sooner than with any other outfit.
(and I hate waiting!)

ladyshanz
06-29-2019, 02:24 PM
If shipping is a bit more with Asmus I'm good with it because you get the figure so much sooner than with any other outfit.
(and I hate waiting!)

This is how I am with figures I'm particularly excited about! And this is one of those figures for sure.

Thainitty
06-29-2019, 04:29 PM
I’m trying to order but keeps telling me to enter “country”. Anyone else having trouble?

I didn’t have that problem but I did find it strange the way you input city and state and country...like the boxes are oddly labeled

Rzeznikk
06-29-2019, 05:14 PM
(and I hate waiting!)Shipping should be free through Asmus. At least the last few orders I've ordered have been free shipping.

Sixth Scale Man
06-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Pre-ordered! Now, gotta start saving![emoji846]

hoodonit00
06-29-2019, 06:09 PM
I didn’t have that problem but I did find it strange the way you input city and state and country...like the boxes are oddly labeled

Just to elaborate. I’ve put in U.S, U.S.A, United States Of America, United States, North America, America. I would press enter and a pop up would say, please enter country. I ended up Googling the Chinese word for the U.S and it took that.

Thainitty
06-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Just to elaborate. I’ve put in U.S, U.S.A, United States Of America, United States, North America, America. I would press enter and a pop up would say, please enter country. I ended up Googling the Chinese word for the U.S and it took that.

Good thinking! I believe I just put US

Stryker2011
06-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Wow. Did you already have an account, or were you trying to create one? I’m asking out of curiosity, as I just logged into my account and had no problems placing an order.

BrooklynWolf X
06-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Whoever is on the fence about this...please don't hesitate anymore. We need to support companies like this. Willingness to reach out and communicate with their fans, offering previous owners the option for upgrades...cmon, it's a no brainer.

The figure itself looks amazing. Granted it's a prototype, but I think asmus is aware how important this release is, I feel it in my heart that they won't screw this up.

Has a release date been set yet?

scumonkey
06-30-2019, 01:41 AM
Estimate shipping date: Q4, 2019 ~ q1, 2020

hoodonit00
06-30-2019, 02:49 AM
Wow. Did you already have an account, or were you trying to create one? I’m asking out of curiosity, as I just logged into my account and had no problems placing an order.

I had an account. I tried using the screen name and password I thought it was. Wrong. I used others it may be. Wrong. I clicked, forgot my password. You have to enter screen name and email to receive password by mail. They didn’t recognize my screen name. I’m going to contact them and ask about it.

rjszar
06-30-2019, 02:53 AM
I had an account. I tried using the screen name and password I thought it was. Wrong. I used others it may be. Wrong. I clicked, forgot my password. You have to enter screen name and email to receive password by mail. They didn’t recognize my screen name. I’m going to contact them and ask about it.

Just curious. Did you re-register on the new website? I had to do that when they first created it. I just used the same name and password as before and it worked.

Stryker2011
06-30-2019, 03:35 AM
Just curious. Did you re-register on the new website? I had to do that when they first created it. I just used the same name and password as before and it worked.

He said he tried that. Sorry to hear you’re having so much trouble, hoodonit00. Hopefully you can get it straightened out.

agonistes86
06-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Please also understand this is going to be a long fight, we will need to take a much longer production time to make, we will set up an exclusive production line focusing only on glue the beard and hair.

this is going to be a very tough challenge for sure.

So, please bear with us on the price and production time.

We will have a plan for those in this forum (will be a majority) who owns a previous Gandalf to purchase a new head,
we will try to keep it under $50 USD(?),
however, the complexity of bring such a difficult technique to the production is very difficult to calculate at this point, so the price is NOT sure yet.

This is great to hear! Even if it ends up $100, I don't mind. Asmus has no obligation to give us this, that they are even making the sculpt available separately is a nice gesture.
As much as I love Gandalf, I don't really want to double dip if most of the figure has not changed much, though. I don't care for the diorama and other accessories - I just want to display him with his hat on and staff in hand.
I started hairing the original head shortly after he came out, but I never continued, so Gandalf has sadly been sitting in my closet for the past 2 years. This is the perfect opportunity to dusk him off and put him on display!

Oh lordy.458859

Cant wait!,https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/c6f2db39aacae25209d32e5c57550620.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/fa541bbdd5dc3008137f14294e5dc701.jpg

Interesting to see that some of the pictures have that blue trim around the edge of the sleeves and the bottom of the robes, while some don't. None of the LOTR reference shots I have show the blue trim, and it's something I'm trying to dull down on the original version.

Kalkylen
06-30-2019, 07:50 AM
This is great to hear! Even if it ends up $100, I don't mind. Asmus has no obligation to give us this, that they are even making the sculpt available separately is a nice gesture.
As much as I love Gandalf, I don't really want to double dip if most of the figure has not changed much, though. I don't care for the diorama and other accessories - I just want to display him with his hat on and staff in hand.
I started hairing the original head shortly after he came out, but I never continued, so Gandalf has sadly been sitting in my closet for the past 2 years. This is the perfect opportunity to dusk him off and put him on display!

Interesting to see that some of the pictures have that blue trim around the edge of the sleeves and the bottom of the robes, while some don't. None of the LOTR reference shots I have show the blue trim, and it's something I'm trying to dull down on the original version.The blue trim is there, it just needs to be done in stitching rather than the blue ribbon Asmus used on the original figure.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/6d92a5fec45f22341ab141cd6a13d217.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/7402e20fb113535f0cfe952d83d516ec.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/d2f188c0b5cba547bf1b66ebcca6491b.jpg

hoodonit00
06-30-2019, 08:17 AM

I tried to re-register. I filled out the form, hit enter, and said my e-mail address was already registered

DioramaMaker
06-30-2019, 02:03 PM
I'm really loving the poseable eyes. So many of Gandalf's expressions stem from his eyes. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I really wish more figures had it.

warlock664
06-30-2019, 02:34 PM
I tried to re-register. I filled out the form, hit enter, and said my e-mail address was already registered

I had a bit of difficulty logging in as well. My problem was it kept telling me the authentification code I was entering was wrong (the 5-digit number it gives you below your username and password). I finally got in, but it was a struggle. Can’t say I’m a fan of the new website.