Fooled by prototypes?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sanpedromanrique

I have been fooled and dissapointed by a few figures I ordered based on photos from a prototype such as Anna Valerious and Mandy. What about you?

None from Sideshow, but I was terribly disappointed with the Gentle Giant TX Mini Bust and it was completely tarnished and to come and find out this was a painting flaw on all of them, and Gentle Giant said tuff....

I can speak for many, but the first 1/4 Vader pics from Sideshow really threw me off. From what I overheard, it was modified 5 times and man Im glad I kept my order. Gruson, you wont be disspointed thats for sure.

I thought Mandy and Anna were fine when they were released and looked just like the protos.

However some of the other ladies have suffered from big heads due to the rooted hair process. I've been a bit disappointed in those.

I know Wiki,

I kept my order in as well.

Vader looks great now and will replace my Attakus Vader, once I receive him.

I am so glad that Sideshow corrected most of the issues I had with him. That early prototype was just AWFUL.

I thought Mandy and Anna were fine when they were released and looked just like the protos.

:rollin

I didn't realize Anna's prototype photo had such a big head!!!
If you can be objective, there have been MANY prototype to release dissapointments. To that end, I don't know what to think about Brent. All joking aside, I surely have kiddingly ragged on poor ol' Brent enough. Truth be told though, it's a terrible sculpt for that character. What does that mean for the final release? Theoretically, it can't get worse but then again, theoretically we'd have had a lot better issues on some of the characters already from a company that had been known for their attention to detail and their quality sculpts.

The Anna prototype did have a big head, not nearly as big as the production piece, but it was bigger then of a proportionate size. It also had a great likeness to Kate Beckinsale.
The number of successful figures far out weighs the number of failed figures. The few constant problems being bad paint operations, not bad sculpts.

Fooled twice so far.First by forbidden zone Taylor,then by London after Midnight Chaney.I still would have bought the Chaney regardless,but the prototype costume looked better not entirely in black.Taylor's not as bad as people have said,just not we have seen in the photo.

The problem with Taylor is once again the paint application. It's the paint that makes him look like he lost his puppy.
And the lack of paint on his suit that was disappointing. I felt that Sideshow kind of lied about the Dirt deco on his suit. That's what hit me the hardest about the Forbidden Zone Taylor.
And I can live with bad paint apps, you can always repaint them. Sculpt and production F' Ups on the other hand can't really be fixed easily.
I didn't notice the prototype on LAM, but I'm still very pleased over all with that one.

New Nightmare Freddy was HORRIBLE compared to the Sideshow pics. They eyes were not the same at all.

Sideshow's version looked a lot better.

I won't mention PG Buffy or Willow... again ;)

I ain't gonna rag on Sideshow for misleading prototypes (much anyhow); everyone tends to do it - Toybiz have been one of the worst offenders. Oh boy... and Mattel too.

My sadness with Sideshow is that I used to be able to pre-order on the strength of their prototype pix; one of the few toy companies I could almost trust in that regard! But since their misjudged vinyl/rotocast head debacle I can't anymore.

Nick

The Anna prototype did have a big head, not nearly as big as the production piece, but it was bigger then of a proportionate size. It also had a great likeness to Kate Beckinsale.
Ahhh, so it was poor Kate that had the big noggin and Sideshow did her right? LOL. Just kidding, I know the prototype pic showed a large head, just not as large as she wound up with. I was merely jesting.
And yes, the good sculpts do outweigh the bad, paint ops are the evil doer here more often than not. But, unlike some, I can't paint very well...and don't feel I should have to after shelling out $40+ for a figure. For any major company's work to be in need of repair or repainting straight out of the box is appalling.
And true, this does seem to get beat upon, but it is much like airline flights.....the successful ones aren't very newsworthy.

But, unlike some, I can't paint very well...and don't feel I should have to after shelling out $40+ for a figure. For any major company's work to be in need of repair or repainting straight out of the box is appalling.

Well in that case, Blue Box's and Takara's Cy/Cool girl figures are appalling. They never had very good paint applications. They're merely average, and at $60-$100+ for some having a Zombie Stare, that is infinitely more appalling. :p
(You've seen the customs and know how good they can look)
Then look at Medicom's work. They have absolutely terrible paint apps (luke Skywalker, Wolverine, etc..) at $200+!!
Sure their eyes are painted on striate, but they don't have much color or depth to them and wind up looking like cheap toys. ;)

You see, though, that I prefer to pick the BBi and CG loose/nude and add the custom heads I have to buy to make up for all the great stuff the big companies don't give us. :p

I agree, BBI and Takara/BBI does make better basic bodies then Sideshow. That is if you can find any of the Cy/Cool girl basic bodies. ;)

I would disagree with that, especially with the women. The new SSC female body isn't as thin yet still is more like the actresses that it is meant to represent. I love the CG's but not every actress is Anna Nicole.

As for male bodies - I do like the extra joint at the neck and chin on the BBi G3, but other than that I think SSC's male bodies are just as good and the hand sculpts and wrist movement are better.

but other than that I think SSC's male bodies are just as good and the hand sculpts and wrist movement are better.

Where did that myth come from? I have piles of BBI hands and their newer ball-jointed sets have just as much movement as Sideshow's, the actual wrist joint is a whole lot more aesthetically pleasing, the hands are far more easily swappable and while the Sideshow sculpting might be a bit more detailed the BBI ones don't all look like grasping old-man/zombie hands!

And don't forget the 2.0 Cool Girl not only has the same wonderful wrists, but those superb ball-jointed feet (which make for gorgeous action poses), unrivalled poseability... but also three different bust sizes too.

Can't wait to see what Takara come up with for their new male 12" bodies, premiering with the Batman Begins figure later this year.

Nick

I would disagree with that
No real shock. :\

I think SSC's male bodies are just as good and the hand sculpts and wrist movement are better
No shock here either, huh, Nick? Some folks just can't be truly objective or say Sideshow's stuff isn't the greatest because then they {SSC} might not come here and tell us that we may or may not have seen the end of a certain line or that a certain figure may or may not see the light of day this year or next or some other time in the future yet to be determined.

I agree Ironman.

SS's bodies don't have anything on BBI's or the Cy's. They are much better than the SS basic body.

Now BOT,:p

Willow looked nothing like the prototype. I could go on about it but...

Anna was a bit disapointing...

PG Buffy (exclusive and standard)...`

Notice a trend here people...;)

Notice a trend here people

Yes, I've noticed that SSC have strived to improve and try new things to give collectors what they want. One sixth collectors asked for rooted hair, so SSC did some figures like that - it didn't turn out so well with the roto heads, so they acknowledged that and went back to sculpted.

I get accused of being myopic about the various lines and only seeing the positive, but there seems to be a vocal few that refuse to acknowledge the improvements that have occured over the years and focus solely on one or two problems.

The sculpts and tailoring have vastly improved for the most part. They don't just regurgitate old successes and thus become stagnant or disappear (can you say Dragon or Cy Girls?) but try to innovate.

But you can't make everyone happy all the time.

Back