Photography Tips and Tricks-New Camera

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Roranous

Super Freak
Reaction score
Photography-SHARE your Photos and Knowledge!

I finally upgraded to a better camera and couldn't be happier. These are some of my first pictures with it. I am obviously still learning so I thought this thread could be for members to share some tips, tricks, and finally some recent shots. :)

Excuse my lack of knowledge here but most of these shots were taken in AV mode manually with the Auto white- balance feature. ISO speed 800- 1600. The lens used was a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens. Is there any way to use the Macro setting (little flower symbol) without the flash popping up on an XTi? I am probably going to look back on these questions later and be embarrassed/ :lol

Also, any lens recommendations?

4352a0a5.jpg

eb17e8d4.jpg

1b6aed3e.jpg

c6d55de2.jpg

9f460b8c.jpg

47e9abd7.jpg

6f7c6f30.jpg

bad40d8a.jpg

Last edited:
You should be able to turn off the flash regardless, but as far as I can see you're doing well with macro. Try setting the f-stop as low as possible (like 2.0) and adjust the shutter speed longer to compensate; that way you should be able to blur stuff better out of field.
The last one with Doom and Frost is worth more than a thousand words!:rotfl

You should be able to turn off the flash regardless, but as far as I can see you're doing well with macro. Try setting the f-stop as low as possible (like 2.0) and adjust the shutter speed longer to compensate; that way you should be able to blur stuff better out of field.
The last one with Doom and Frost is worth more than a thousand words!:rotfl

:lolDoom likes what he sees.

Thank you for the tips. I think a great deal of photography has to do with the lens too so I might be shopping a round a little later for more.

As for the flash...that stupid thing is always popping up when I don't want it to on certain modes. The flash pops up on any mode that is pre-programed....like the man running or portrait. :(

damn rory very nice. I want an XTi too....where did you get it from and how much did you pay? Is the lens the standard lens or did you buy it separately?

I have honestly learned so much just by doing some research today on the internet and reading all the materials that came with the camera. In the future I want to get some more lenses and take this further. I want to know the lingo and know how to take pics perfectly every time.

:lolDoom likes what he sees.

Thank you for the tips. I think a great deal of photography has to do with the lens too so I might be shopping a round a little later for more.

As for the flash...that stupid thing is always popping up when I don't want it to on certain modes. The flash pops up on any mode that is pre-programed....like the man running or portrait. :(

Well preprogrammed modes will pop up the flash if there is not enough light. I dont own a Canon but normally, the Sport Mode, Landscape and Night Landscape modes will not use the flash no matter the amount of light.

You are correct the Lens i a HUGE factor. The lower the F number is better. Basicly that how big on an opening you can get for the light to come in, the lower the number the better. Basicly these lenses can take a picture faster(shutter speed) then a larger f number lens can in the same light.

To get a better understanding of how this works you can set you camera to A mode which is apature mode the start with the lowest F stop take a pic then go up a few f stops take a pic, you will see how the F stop adjusts the shutter speed.

Hope this helps a lil. When I take my surf photos I shoot in Apature Mode not a pre-set. Just quick shots at Cons and stuff like that I use the pre-sets but if I really want to take good shots I use the A mode.

Well preprogrammed modes will pop up the flash if there is not enough light. I dont own a Canon but normally, the Sport Mode, Landscape and Night Landscape modes will not use the flash no matter the amount of light.

You are correct the Lens i a HUGE factor. The lower the F number is better. Basicly that how big on an opening you can get for the light to come in, the lower the number the better. Basicly these lenses can take a picture faster(shutter speed) then a larger f number lens can in the same light.

To get a better understanding of how this works you can set you camera to A mode which is apature mode the start with the lowest F stop take a pic then go up a few f stops take a pic, you will see how the F stop adjusts the shutter speed.

Hope this helps a lil. When I take my surf photos I shoot in Apature Mode not a pre-set. Just quick shots at Cons and stuff like that I use the pre-sets but if I really want to take good shots I use the A mode.
Thanks for the help. I was noticing that today. The higher I went with the F numbers, the slower the shutter speed. Depending on the mode I was in of course. When I was at it's highest I needed a tripod and even then I would still get blur.

Sorry if I get these terms incorrect but how can you tell what F stop you need to use? Numbers range from like F5.6 to F/22 or higher I think.

Also how do you know what speed to set your shutter at? I know for fast moving objects you want a faster shutter speed but why use a lower one then? What are the advantages?:confused:

Lastly, what's the F-Stop Blues. :lol J/K

Thanks for the help. I was noticing that today. The higher I went with the F numbers, the slower the shutter speed. Depending on the mode I was in of course. When I was at it's highest I needed a tripod and even then I would still get blur.

Sorry if I get these terms incorrect but how can you tell what F stop you need to use? Numbers range from like F5.6 to F/22 or higher I think.

Also how do you know what speed to set your shutter at? I know for fast moving objects you want a faster shutter speed but why use a lower one then? What are the advantages?:confused:

Lastly, what's the F-Stop Blues. :lol J/K

Well the F-Stop will vary based on the lens. Like your lens if you are zoomed all the way out it should run between 3.5 and 22 where if zoomed all the way in it will be 5.6 and 22. What F-Stop number to use is well the F-Stop blues. Thats where is gets tricky. In auto modes it will adjust both for you automaticly. You need a exposure, which is a combo of Fstop and shutter speed to get a good pic. I am looking for a lil more info on this camera and will try and get you some ideas on what to look for. Also trying to find some good links to expain this more in depth.

I'll field that one... :D

The f-stop is determined by the depth of field you wish to have to your image. A smaller aperture number will allow more light into the image, but objects that are in front of or behind your subject will not be as in-focus as they would be with a larger aperture number such as f/22.

My camera features a depth-of-field preview button. Essentially, when you're looking at your subject through the viewfinder of an SLR camera (be it digital or film), you are looking at it with the widest possible aperture setting. The preview button allows the photographer to manually close up the aperture to the desired setting, giving him an idea as to how much of the foreground and background will remain in-focus.

Take your Crack of Doom image, for example. (And I'll never stop laughing at that name ... :lol ) Gollum's back is very sharp. Frodo, however, is blurred out almost to the point of being unrecognizable. This is an example of when the photo would have benefitted from a narrower aperture, such as f/11 or f/16. That should have been enough to bring Frodo a bit more clearly into focus. Try it and see, remembering to focus on Gollum as you did before.

Well the F-Stop will vary based on the lens. Like your lens if you are zoomed all the way out it should run between 3.5 and 22 where if zoomed all the way in it will be 5.6 and 22. What F-Stop number to use is well the F-Stop blues. Thats where is gets tricky. In auto modes it will adjust both for you automaticly. You need a exposure, which is a combo of Fstop and shutter speed to get a good pic. I am looking for a lil more info on this camera and will try and get you some ideas on what to look for. Also trying to find some good links to expain this more in depth.

Your explanations are making sense to me. I appreciate the help. I always wondered what good ol' Jack was singing about. :lol

I'll field that one... :D

The f-stop is determined by the depth of field you wish to have to your image. A smaller aperture number will allow more light into the image, but objects that are in front of or behind your subject will not be as in-focus as they would be with a larger aperture number such as f/22.

My camera features a depth-of-field preview button. Essentially, when you're looking at your subject through the viewfinder of an SLR camera (be it digital or film), you are looking at it with the widest possible aperture setting. The preview button allows the photographer to manually close up the aperture to the desired setting, giving him an idea as to how much of the foreground and background will remain in-focus.

Take your Crack of Doom image, for example. (And I'll never stop laughing at that name ... :lol ) Gollum's back is very sharp. Frodo, however, is blurred out almost to the point of being unrecognizable. This is an example of when the photo would have benefitted from a narrower aperture, such as f/11 or f/16. That should have been enough to bring Frodo a bit more clearly into focus. Try it and see, remembering to focus on Gollum as you did before.
Huh. I see. Wow, this is going to take quite a bit of practice. I understand what you mean though but why is it that the less light that enters the lens/image, the more focused all surrounding objects become. The answer is probably simple but it's eluding me at the moment.

If you increase your aperture number- must you also decrease your shutter speed? Do these two things go hand in hand every time? Does your shutter speed decrease to let more light in your image in this instance?

Thanks for helping this noob. :lol

Back