who IS making the predator maquettes???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

King of the Nazgul

I have noticed the AWESOME predator 1/4 (roughly..) scale maquette that sideshow has up for pre-order...

And from what I have read on this forum, it appears that Stan Winston Studios is making (all) these...Is this correct??

Because if it is then this IS worth $999.oo...But if they are making these over in China, for example...then, sure the original prototype looks poo hot....but how will the "regular" ones look???, which are the ones that people are paying $1000 for?????..

On the sideshow site it states..Sculpted by Stan Winston Studios...Does that mean only the ORIGINAL that the cast will be made from??...Or ALL of the maquettes will be made at Stan's Studios????...

Because I could put on eBay a painting of "sunflowers" and say it was painted be Van Gogh....because the ORIGINAL was...but, not necessarily the one I will be selling...see my point??

Bottom line....Predator Maquette made by Stan Winstons Studio...worth $1000.oo.. Predator Maquette, made by people in China, (who may have never even SEEN the movie..), worth, maybe, $350.oo.

Just my opinion though....:speech

Sideshow:

from statue forum:
"Just hung up with Erica at Stan Winston Studios. SHe put me on hold and came back saying that SS would be doing the production, painting etc on these...they just did the sculpt/creation."

Which doesn't mean they're worth any less. Stan Winston Studio couldn't be tied up making all 1000 (or however many) of these individually out of polystone anyway.

The quality control on the 1/4 scale has always been excellent, although some people have reported some problems. I wouldn't worry about the quality on this one either.

Sorry...but, to me that means that this is worth NO-WHERE NEAR $1000.ooUS..Look at Sauron...a Statue just as big...and probably just as difficult to produce...sold for $300.oo.....Sure, if they would have known the problems that Sauron was going to cause them, the price would have been higher....but I think it safe to say, no-where $1000.oo...

It looks like Sideshow wants to become like TIFFANYS....

Only for the RICH & FAMOUS....:dunno

Because, after all is said and done...All these statues will be is an IMITATION of what Stan Winstons studios produced...Because if Winstons Studios DOESN'T make them...what else are they??

Now, I know that a lot of people on this board are going to come running to SS defense on this....But, honestly, a statue, (even if it is 2 foot high..) made in China, by people who are probably not legitmate craftsmen, (not as gifted as the people at Stans Studio I'll wager)..is not worth $1000.ooUSD..:\

I am not saying the final quality of these pieces will be total and utter crap....but, I think, if they are being made in a country where they can get cheap labor..(and let's face facts...that's the reason.)...I dare anyone to argue that the quality will be as good/if not better than the one that Winstons Studio produced, because it won't. Therefore, I fail to see how/why they are all of a sudden charging $1000.oo a piece?? As far as I could see, the Predator wore no Solid-Gold "bling-bling"..:p

Again, only my opinion...Maybe Sideshow should put where they are being made on the page...Not who made the original. Because That's not what I'll be getting..

But, then again, having "Made in China"..doesn't sound as good for some reason, does it??? Funny that....

If these were done by Stan Winstons studio THESE would cost way more than a $1000 a piece.
As for comparing him to the Sauron yea they might be the same height but you got be blind not to see the Predator has so much more detail than Sauron. The thing with Sauron he has a lot more fragile parts. The thing with the Predator if you look at him he isnt going to be a week or two to be finished they are going to have to spend a lot of extra time with each one to get the detail right.

As for this:
made in China, by people who are probably not legitmate craftsmen,

Because they dont work for a special effects company? If you have or ever traveled Asia you can find some outstanding craftsmanship there. Like its been said before they still have the pass down from generation to generation skills.

They always credit the sculptor, which in this casse, is Stan Winston Studios. Also it isn't just a statue like Sauron. The webbing is real knotted webbing that has been imbedded in the polystone. The skin of the Predator is a leather like material and some of the parts are metal. Each dreadlock is also individually crafted and inserted. It's far more complex than a statue, even one as complex as Sauron.

I'm sure they'd love to sell more of these at a lower price, but as I've said many times recently - they don't pull these prices out of a hat.

You really can't compare this to Sauron. They are totally different this piece is made of all kinds of material and has a lot of detail. So that right there drives up the cost. Sauron is made of just poly which will keep his cost down but don't kid yourself he has as much detail for the piece he is as the Predator does for the type of piece he is.

While they may not "pull the prices out of a hat.." ...For something that is "mass-produced" i.e. 1000 or more made...$1000.ooUSD is still too expensive..

because let's face it, people are raving on about the "extra materials" that are going onto this piece....but, unless his laser ACTUALLY WORKS...I don't see how a little fibreglass and netting and a little more color variation adds $700.oo?? Sauron has laser etched lead in some parts....Most people on this board have been saying that Sauron will be Sideshows best statue EVER...now, all of a sudden, it's "no-where near as detailed"...:dunno And as for his "dreadlocks" being individually placed on, and painted....for $1000.oo...so they should be!

I have said before....Quality & Quantity...never belong in the same sentence...and for $1000.oo this should be HIGH quality.

Did Michaelangelo paint six sistine chapels???:dunno

To get this awesome amount of detail into (what will probably end up being..) 1000 2 foot statues...not to mention the absolute smorgasboard of other figures, statues etc. that sideshow is/will produce....I don't see it...the extra attention to detail...Like they put into the predator on display a SDCC...

I never meant to impune the Chinese (or whoever will end up making these....), about their skills as craftsmen..but, you ask ANYONE to paint 1000 statues in "quick-time", and what you end up with is a rushed job. Not something worthy of a $1000.oo price tag...and only someone from SIDESHOW would be able to say if they tell their workers.."it's OK, take your time with EACH PIECE...don't start the next, until you are 110% happy with the one you are working on..even if it takes all day.." Yeah, right! I can see THAT happening..

It takes TIME....like 10 year scotch...:D :naughty

Automobiles are mass produced and cost thousands of dollars as are a lot of things. I expect higher quality control on a BMW than I do on a KIA, and that's one of the reasons I'd be willing to pay more for the Beemer.

Look everyone, what is the worst that can happen here...you order the piece...it arrives...and you inspect it.

If it does not meet with your particular definition of "perfection," you return it for a full refund.

If it does live up to your standards and expectations, then you are a happy collector, and you keep it.

Under no circumstance are you going to be stuck with a collectable that you are not 100% happy with.

Simple matter. Case closed.

If it was a limited edition of say, 500 maybe....because then it might help persuade me to spend $1000 on it, (because it would be rarer..), but, if they make 1000+ of these.....

1. The quality can't be THAT good..(because of the sheer Quantity of them..)

2. Collectability....At the price they are charging....they should limit the number they produce. And, if they flood the market with these...i.e. Morgul Lord...Sauron...Gandalf on S/F etc. etc.....You will be lucky if these are worth 50% as much on the secondary market..Not that i believe they are going to make 9,500 of these buggers....but, maybe..1,500-2000.

And before the SS cheer squad, reply and say..."We don't collect for secondary profit..We collect for the art..". I collect for the art too, but, not If I PERSONALLY think they are over-priced..and in this case...I do. And, for some people, a dollar IS a dollar...

Hopefully, I intend to pick up one of these on eBay for maybe 70-80% of what SS charge....And even then..I still think it's too much...Maybe, I am not as "hard-core" as some, or as quick to praise Sideshow for everything and anything they do...I like what they produce, as I know we all do...

I just think $1000UD for a 2 foot statue..(no matter HOW detailed..), is too much....It doesn't come down to "Who has better taste.."..I think it comes down to...WHO HAS MORE MONEY..;) ....Because anyone who can afford $1000.ooUSD statue CLEARLY doesn't have money problems...and, if you DO, (have money problems..)then you need to get counselling, and stop buying polystone!:wave

Yeah, right Bsherris...

I live in Australia...If I am not happy with it..You are saying SS will REFUND in full the purchase price, shipping and Taxes imposed??? Don't think so...

Those who live in the US may be able to take a chance on quality...but, those OUTSIDE the US..yes, there is such a place...are not as lucky..

..So, for me, for example...It is a $1200.ooUSD gamble....You might say, Fine if it's too expensive for you, why bother whinging?? That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it..And I won't say anything negative about that..

My OPINION, is that this particular piece is over-priced..

Case Closed.:D

I find it interesting that it has taken you 5 posts to finally reach 'case closed'.

It is very apparent you have a poor opinion of this piece. You have made that opinion abundantly clear. I have a completely different opinion of this product, therefore have a preorder for it and don't regret it a bit. Since you don't like this piece then don't buy it. It really is that simple.

There have been other SS products that I didn't like, but I don't see the need for overkill by continually repeating my opinion. Just like anything, some people are going to like it and buy it. Some people are not going to like, those people should just not buy it. :p

at first guess, I'd say that the overall production difficulty would be higher for the Predator. only because I think the paint apps are probably 5x more difficult than what's required for the Sauron. I think manufacturing for both is very difficult, but overall, the Sauron just has to have a nice metal/iron/armor looking paint job whereas the Predator has the skin, head, inside of mouth and many other areas with detailed skin tones/patterns. You can tell by the extra mask that each dread detaches from the head/helmet so you can switch them.

Im sure Sideshow, just as any artist, tries to out-do each product with the next. Ask most real artists, "Whats youre best/favorite piece?" youre answer will most likely be "The next one". As it should be.

Do I think the license has something to do with the high price. damn right I do. Just as I do with the StarWars line pricing. One of the SS guys chatting during the SDCC mentioned that the royalty fees (or whatever theyre called) vary for each license.

The Predator obviously is a more difficult product to produce. Real knotted rope? I think thats awesome. Goes to show the lengths SS will go to produce something thats truely above and beyond a typical resin statue.

and although it may seem Im blowin the Predator here. I have a Sauron ordered and dont plan on getting the Predator.

You can tell by the extra mask that each dread detaches from the head/helmet so you can switch them

The mask is just a early prototype its going to be a entire head you switch. Then with the extra head you will have a display stand to make it basically a bust to display.

While I do wish the Stan Winston Studios was doing the actual production of this piece, I think it can still turn out as good as the prototype.

Granted, I've had A LOT of issues with the paint apps on SS/W statues, and I'm not very pleased with many of them. That being said, the paint apps on the Predator busts were phenomenal, and if this maquette isn't up to par, then I'll simply return it. I think Sideshow will take extra care to make sure every piece is perfect. After all, that's what we deserve for paying $1,000.

$1000 is insane. This should be $500 at most.

$1000 x 1000 is One Million gross for this piece. They'll make a killing off this.

Predator maquette quantity

I do not know where all of you are getting your production totals from. It clearly states on the preorder site "limited to 300 pcs." Now I do not know if that includes both flex pay and regular pay, but even if it does not, it still only totals 600 pcs.

I also preordered this piece. I am not a huge predator fan, but I do think the maquette looks great! And like someone posted before, if you are not happy send it back. Case closed.

Re: Predator maquette quantity

300 is for the exclusive version. We don't know how many regular versions there will be.

Back