adam hughes SW sketch-celebration europe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the Doctor

Just a little Freaky
Reaction score
took a pic of a sketch adam hughes did yesterday in london..
his attention to detail is amazing.

What were the circumstances? Was he sketching for a group of people, or was it just one drawing that he did?

It doesn't seem like a "sketch", really. As a member of Adam's Yahoo Group, I've seen hundreds of sketches he's done over the years, and I agree that the detail on this one is impressive. Usually, you don't see him putting that much into the backgrounds, just because of time constraints.

Leia in a Rebel pilot outfit? I never even thought of that. I hope someone somewhere puts a nice scan of the piece online.

Hey, everybody...

Sorry for the long break in between posts.... with Celebration Europe being so close to San Diego Comic-Con, my 'free time' has been at a premium. No time for love, Doctor Jones... I've been trying to meet all my deadlines while doing all these mega-shows, and it's taking its toll! I have unopened toys in boxes, awaiting playtime. I can't rmemebr the last time I got to mess around with customizing a figure...

Thanks to all who made CE the fabulous cavalcade of big funny ha-has that it was. As for the Leia sketch, it's not THAT original an idea. In SPLINTER OF THE MIND'S EYE, she's piloting her own Y-Wing at the beginning of the novel. The sketch request was for a 'cool Leia', so.... that's what I tried for.

As for its level of detail, I was trying to give the folks at CE their money's worth for their sketch dollar. CE was very expensive for ALL who attended, even us. ESPECIALLY us.

Folks were asking why I charged twice as much for the exact same litho/print ($150 as opposed to the $75 for the C4 version). Well, here's how it goes...

It cost us more to print. Why? Because we got a lower quote on the printing when we did it for C4, because we got a total of 6 artists to go in with us on the print job. The more prints run, the less per unit cost. Why were there less artists going in with us? Because flying to London in July is more expensive than any other time of the year, and that was one reason a few artists opted out of going. So, our prints cost us more to make.

Then, shipping them to England was was wayyyy more expensive than shipping them to Los Angeles.

Then, in addition to paying for our own travel expenses to the show, and paying for our own hotel (two perks usually provided for by any normal convention), and on top of the % taken out of sales for Lucasfilm, and the % taken out for the folks that run the show, there was ALSO the Queen's cut. Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II, got a WHOPPING 17.5% of every pound we made at CE. So, that's a total of about 35% of the sales I don't get to keep. And, when I get home to America, I have to pay state, federal, and self-employment income tax on what I was left with. So, figure in the printing and travel costs, and that leaves me with very little profit. And I sold more prints than anyone else at the show; a lot of my fellow Art Show guests turned a loss, a major loss, at C4.

I'm sorry I had to charge more, but it was that or nothing. One can't really run a business, even a small self-owned one, on charity unfortunately.

I guess I felt I needed to spell that out, as several folks have asked me for an answer.

I hope all of you have been doing well, and enjoying the summer. I'm looking forward to putting San Diego behind me, and getting back to the trult important things in life: playing with toys.

-AH!

Damn. I keep forgetting stuff I wanted to say....

As for the folks asking why I reprinted the Leia, TRUST ME, it wasn't my plan. I had a great idea for a CE print that would've made for a fine companion piece to the Nouveau Leia peice I did for C4, but I ran out of time. My options were to either hack out a crappy quick piece, or give folks a second shot at the slave Leia. Believe me, I wanted to do another STAR WARS piece.

And everyone in the Art Show wishes we were allowed to sell our prints elsewhere, not just at Celebrations. It's not just you folks! But that's the contract, so.... ya gotta play by the rules.

-AH!

Thanks for taking the time to explain about the print costs. Heaven knows you could have made a mint selling them on ebay. I don't think anyone here begrudges the extra cost. I know I don't, I just feel lucky to have had a second chance at it and thanks to fellow Freak Mark for going out of his way to pick them up for us.

You are the man, Adam!!

I also must get to a con to meet you. Your quick sketches are better than 90% of the production art in the market right now.

Adam,
Do you mean your compatriots had a loss at CE?

I hope the UK experience was at least worth it for everyone involved.
-theropod

Quiet a few took a loss, yes. I know of artists that sold only 10 pieces. I sold 35, a huge drop in comparison to the more than 150 I sold in Los Angeles. Those 35 prints will still fall short of paying for the print run. So the airfare, hotel, booth expense is lost. In my case; Adam paid for the airfare and hotel for me, but I'm still out the cost of the booth and part of my printing. Other artists aren't as lucky as I am, and don't have a fabulous boyfriend artist picking up parts of thier travel expenses.

In addition? I don't think alot of us were prepared for JUST how expensive everything over there was. Our hotel in the Docklands (sort of the middle of nowhere) was as expensive as one Adam stayed in last year in Times Square in New York City.

It was a learning experience. We'd probably go if they did it again, we'd just do it differently.

Back