Sooooo, what apes were you hoping for??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

ironman1188

The ape-o-nauts seem popular, but I would have liked Milo in "ape" clothes.
General Aldo I thought was a given. :\
And, despite odds, I had really hoped for Burke, Virdon, Galen, Urko and Zaius from the TV series. The humans provide different sculpts and outfits, Zaius looked nothing like Maurice Evans and General Urko's makeup varied greatly from Ursus or Aldo while his uniform was somewhat a mix of the two. :bang
A gorilla soldier that resembled one actually in the films would have been a nice touch too.

i was hoping for a set of all the original astronauts myself...seemed like it would be a rather easy job since all it would need is the head sculpt. the others you mentioned would have been great too :( hell i would have bought anything they threw out there for a long time.....

The ape-o-nauts are the ones I was really looking forward to. Other then them, I'd like Milo, Mandemus, and maybe General Aldo; I can't remember if he looked different from other Gorilla apes.

Aldo,and maybe Julius.More Gorilla's basically.I always figured that they would have made a lobotimized astronaut as a site exclusive only figure.

General Aldo; I can't remember if he looked different from other Gorilla apes.

He sure did. His uniform was like Urko's but his facial sculpt was very different from other gorillas. There was actualy quite a bit of diversity in the ape characters facially. The outfits were admittedly rather similar, but that was the way their culture was. I would not have minded several chimps, orangutan and gorillas in similar clothes as long as the sculpts were varied and they could find some "extra" accessories to throw in.

And, despite odds, I had really hoped for Burke, Virdon, Galen, Urko and Zaius from the TV series.

Mat did mention that he received a fan petition for the TV series characters to be made... but I don't think it was taken too seriously. It's the movies that are generally considered to be "classic".

As for me, I would have bought everything and anything from the line, be it from the movies or the TV show. My list of what I would like to have seen made is embarassingly long. I do realize that my tastes border on the fringe... that what I would want wouldn't necessarily be big sellers for Sideshow. I recognize that. The fact that in a list I provided when the line was first announced included and other two orangutans from the hearing (Maximus and the Judge) and a Circus Caesar with an all leather tunic only proves my status as a hopeless, rabid Ape Fan.

But there are certain sore spots when it comes to characters unproduced. I would have loved to have seen:

1) Julius... a GREAT gorilla before gorillas were typecasted as "warmongers"

2) Ape-O-Nauts... all three of them (maybe with a Dr. Milo in tunic as an exclusive)

3) Caesar from Battle (although one will be easily customizable using Conquest Caesar and a Cornelius... removing the glyph will prove to be the only obstacle)

4) Virgil... I have a thing for orangutans. And Paul Williams made a great one.

5) Lastly, a polystone of the Caesar statue. That would have been truly special.

Basically, I would have liked to see them touch a little on each of the five films (okay, and a bit on the TV show, GEEZ). But I'm not going to be one of those who criticize what WAS produced by Sideshow. Too many Taylors? Nah. Too many humans? Nah. I think that there are good solid reasons behind every release from Sideshow. The fact that we have as many humans as we do, I believe was in the timing when the line ended. Sideshow just started covering Beneath (with the introduction of Brent AND the Mutants) when the plug was pulled. I really don't blame Sideshow for anything... other than providing me with a GREAT figure line. For that they are gulity as charged.

I think the blame for the failure of the line is in the times that we live in. Having just got back for SDCC, I see that there is a real tug of war out there to score the disposable income of the collecting world... a community those dollar is stretch far beyond the breaking point. There is some terminally COOL stuff out there. You know the stuff I mean... the high end stuff that you need an acrylic case for. FAR more than there ever has been. I believe there are a lot of Ape fans out there that wanted to buy these figures... and may do so after the price has bottomed out. But a POTA fan may also be a Star Wars fan or a Lord of the Rings fan... so these fans are left with some hard decisions in the marketplace. Should I buy that Attackus Vader or that Gentle Giant Biker Scout or that Lawgiver Statue? I find myself selling off items that I wouldn't do normally (some of my vintage Mego stuff) only to get some of these cool high end items.

I also think that since the line is as good as dead, you are going to find a percentage of people (completists) willing to buy the items that they were on the fence about because now that the end is here. There is a final, finite number (the number is 19, I believe) of pieces to collect to have a complete set.

Mat did mention that he received a fan petition for the TV series characters to be made... but I don't think it was taken too seriously.

And, to me, thats part of the problem. The fans are not taken seriously. nd we are the ones buying the figures, begging for figures, etc... I'd be curious to know how many people were on that petition, but thats probably another of those things they can't divulge. :rolleyes

Re: Re: Sooooo, what apes were you hoping for??

The fans are taken seriously but they do have to make characters that they know will sell well. What if they make some of the TV characters and they sell like crap? Thats a bad business decision. Its a fine line really.

The fans are taken seriously but they do have to make characters that they know will sell well. What if they make some of the TV characters and they sell like crap? Thats a bad business decision. Its a fine line really.

So, Giles or Cordy wouldn't sell well? The fans have been not just asking but pleading for them to no avail.
And as for the Apes TV, I think the 5 main characters would have sold as well as what's been offered so far, perhaps some evn better. Of, course that would also hinge on the characters, ape and human, looking like they should. Have any of the lines figures thus far sold "like crap" ?
I hope I'm wrong, but it really seems to me that sideshow is abandoning the 1:6 collector. I know, I know...."But they just picked up Star Wars"....yadda yadda yadda.....
OK, but is that now where the 1:6 focus is going to be? Hell, they could put anything Star wars out after Hasbro's offerings and make themselves look good. If they want to back up statements that they listen to the fans, how about making something that they asked for. A lot of lines died or are dying with out figures that have been begged for.
Ygor
Maleva
Rod Serling
Dr. Pretorious
{insert Bond Villain here}
ape-o-nauts
Giles
Cordy
Now Buffy seems to be getting more figures than any other line, and if the numbers are there to support that, than so be it. But the lack of certain key characters up to this point truly makes me wonder if they will ever be seen before the decision to end that line joins the Outer Limits, Twilight Zone and Planet of the Apes.
Sooooo, here's hoping Majestic can pick up some slack with their BSG and Dark Shadows line.

And, to me, thats part of the problem. The fans are not taken seriously. nd we are the ones buying the figures, begging for figures, etc...

Ironman, you have got to realize that you are a fringe Ape fan, like myself. You and I do not represent (nor do the ones who signed the petition) the sizable kind of demographic that makes these things sell. Plus, Sideshow has NO GUARANTEE that the people who sign the petition would actually BUY the figures. It would be an expensive gamble.

Okay, let me put it this way... let's just say Sideshow ran a poll last Christmas on which 12" Ape figure to produce: General Ursus or General Urko? I have dated this proposition BEFORE Ursus was actually announced. With those conditions, I believe that Ursus would win hands down. In the world of Ape fandom, Ursus is far cooler than Urko... heck, he helped bring about Armageddon! Ursus is also more known to the casual fan of the Apes than Urko. Before Ursus was unveiled, he was the ONE figure I heard on EVERYONE'S want list.

Now five months later, the exclusive Ursus still hasn't sold a mere 500 pieces. SO hysteria for a figure doesn't always equate to sold items.

And I would like to stress... it was MY impression during my connversation with Mat that the poll wasn't taken seriously. It was just MY IMPRESSION. The petition could have easily been seriously considered by someone at Sideshow at some time. I do not, under any circumstances, assume to speak for anyone from Sideshow.

I understand about the fans and the lack of guarantees. Its much like there's no guarantee that the piece you receive will look like the piece they advertised you would be getting.
And I know Ursus was much clampered for [I personally always liked Urko better] but I've also heard alot of people state that the Ursus pictured doesn't look like Ursus from the films. I don't know if they used the gorilla soldier head, like they used Cornelius for Caesar, but that could be part of the lack of sales. As for exposure.....I see the TV series on Tv alot more than the old movies. Now, yes, like you said i may be a bit more of a fan than some, but I own both DVD sets and several of the figures [it will be all once they're released], some even in duplicate, I have the Mego and the Hasbro, the magazine set, the books on record........God!!! I have a lot of stuff :lol
And i do understand that that was your impression from your discussion, but, the fact that the line is, for all intents and purposes, dead, does seem to say that your impression was correct.
Oh, well, in another 30 years maybe someone else will come along and complete the line. :\

Caesar is a different head sculpt from Cornelius. I'm not sure if the pics have been updated, but it was definitely different at SDCC.

Caesar is a different head sculpt from Cornelius.

I'm aware Dave, thanks. I just hadn't seen anyone post pix of the new sculpt yet.

Ironman, I've e-mailed you the Caesar pix I took at SDCC. I'm sorry that they are so blurry.

So check your e-mail.

Got'em!!!! And I like that head. Sure pull the plug and as you improve the line!! :bang

did sideshow announce the POTA line is ending?

I don't think it's a question of losing the license, I think it was a choice made by Sideshow to stop

Oh, the pain.... :cry

There might be a smaller company down the road willing to live with the low sales numbers now associated with the Apes franchise and produce a new line of 12" figures. The problem will be of quality. Say what you will, but I believe Sideshow has in it's stable of talent some of the VERY best sculptors in the business.

Or maybe Medicom will include a line of Apes in thir Real Action Heroes line. My wallet cringes at the thought.

There might be a smaller company down the road willing to live with the low sales numbers now associated with the Apes franchise and produce a new line of 12" figures.

From your lips to God's ears. :idea

The problem will be of quality.
Not necessarily.

Say what you will, but I believe Sideshow has in it's stable of talent some of the VERY best sculptors in the business.
They do have some good sculptors but they are not the only good ones in the business. I hope someone does bail out the license and deliver the rest of the figures we asked for [and deserve].

Back