GG Old Ben Mini Bust Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
After a slight delay from it's original May release date, Old Ben has finally arrived. Now, I don't collect anything GG except Star Wars so this opinion is limited in scope, but I have to say, this and (going by people's images) the Slave Leia statue are the best produced human pieces in a long time. Qui-Gon was, well we won't go there, Jedi Luke was an improvement, but still not stellar, but this piece, other than not having the fully matte skin that their older pieces had, is great. The hair has a matte finish, the beard has a nice mix of browns, greys and whites, and thankfully, the browns are lessened from the prototype as you can see looking at my images and the proto image below. The lightsabler is very well painted and the shadowing on the robe is nicely executed. I consider this piece to be the mark which a good/great GG piece is now going to hit, I don't think it'll come out any better than this based on the quality of paints they are now using. (the big clone realease this summer are probably their most stellar, but that's as much just the character as the manufacturer's execution)

productDetail.png

GGOWK1.jpg

GGOWK2.jpg

GGOWK3.jpg

GGOWK4.jpg

GGOWK5.jpg

GGOWK6.jpg

GGOWK7.jpg

GGOWK8.jpg

GGOWK9.jpg

I think it looks more like George Lucas in the face, especially the bottom half. One thing that continues to bug me about GG is that their cloaks always seem to have a sheen to them.

Pictures are awesome Maulfan !!!!

The figure looks great. But, it just me or he kinda looks like George Lucas?

GeorgeLucas.JPG

Xander said:
I think it looks more like George Lucas in the face, especially the bottom half. One thing that continues to bug me about GG is that their cloaks always seem to have a sheen to them.

It does look kinda like chocolate. It really doe look nice anyway though.

It is very nice, although it's a little too plump and clean. Still a very nice bust, and it's pretty recognizable too! It's nice and easy to tell that it's ol' Ben.

Looks good. The likeness is pretty good as you mentioned and does have a very good job of capturing the Feel of Old Ben.

The saber is way off, especially around the bubble strip. :lol

The pose is good, but the angle of the saber looks forced, obviously done to feature it on the bust. The likeness isn't a dead-on Guinness, but it has some of the main features there.

Amanaman said:
The saber is way off, especially around the bubble strip. :lol

The pose is good, but the angle of the saber looks forced, obviously done to feature it on the bust. The likeness isn't a dead-on Guinness, but it has some of the main features there.

I didn't even notice that. They've given him ROTS Obi-Wan's light saber. :google

I never realized he was holding a saber, i'll have to pick this one up soon.

nash said:
I never realized he was holding a saber, i'll have to pick this one up soon.

As far as official images, this is the only one I remember seeing that gave a hint at it, but I follow several sites for convention updats and a few had picks of the full piece showing the saber more, but going only off this image, you could easily miss the lightsaber detail. The pose is basically like Ep4 Obi-Wan meet's Ep2 bar Obi-Wan, calm, collect, but saber at head ready to open a can of whoop ass on someone.

productDetail.png

I do think they chose a very clever pose for this figure. It would have been real easy to just give him the standard contemplative stare and call it good. I may steal this idea when the Sideshow version comes.

But I do agree with the comments that his face looks kinda like Lucas... it seems like he's a bit too wide and then then chin is too pointed.

galactiboy said:
I do think they chose a very clever pose for this figure. It would have been real easy to just give him the standard contemplative stare and call it good. I may steal this idea when the Sideshow version comes.

But I do agree with the comments that his face looks kinda like Lucas... it seems like he's a bit too wide and then then chin is too pointed.

Well, with regards to the pointy chin, Guinness, at times, showed a very full goatee with trim, thin jawline beard, which Ewan mirrored for ROTS, which is why it's hard to tell how full the sides were, the sides were the same as AOTC, but his goatee was so much thicker, it created a deceptive look.

Little bump for this thread. As I await my Sideshow 1/6 Old Ben figure, I'm reminded of another great Old Ben piece I got this year. It'd been a great year for Obi-Wan fans. Now that we've seen the final production piece from Sideshow, it definitely has the better portrait, but I think a lot of that has to do with how well Trevor aged his portrait, he feels more like the old man Old Ben was, GG's seems a little younger now, like something between ROTS and ANH. It's still one of their best mini busts and a great addition to anyone's Obi-Wan Kenobi collection.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

This is one of my most favorite GG pieces. Its much better than I had anticpated it being and the feel speaks Obi-Wan 2 me (if that makes sense). I ordered a promo from Mike @ Razor's Edge since the price on it wasn't much higher than buying a regular. I also have the spirit one as well which I've never taken pics of.

IMG_3426-1.jpg

I'll never be able to look at that piece without thinking of King Theoden from LOTR. While I think it is a nice sculpt and does also look like Ben, first impressions seem to stick sometimes. Even with Maulfan's great images, it's still there.

I'll never be able to look at that piece without thinking of King Theoden from LOTR. While I think it is a nice sculpt and does also look like Ben, first impressions seem to stick sometimes. Even with Maulfan's great images, it's still there.

Interesting you say that, because when I first saw LOTR and saw Theoden at his son's grave (the first time you get a good look at him) my first thought was, man, if they ever needed new shots of Old Ben Kenobi, this guy could pull it off. I think Theoden and Guiness look fairly similra, especially with facial hair.

Back