COULD DARTH MAUL HAVE BEEN IN THE REST OF THE PREQUELS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darthrazz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I watched the TPM last night and I was wondering should/could Maul have been in the rest of the prequels? Or at least as far as AOTC? I know that Dooku was a more articulate character, but maybe Maul could have been developed further? 10 years had passed from TPM to AOTC, Maul would have been older, perhaps wiser and leader of the separatists? Perhaps have him fight Anakin and Obi Wan at some point? With Obi cutting him down years after Maul killed his master? I'm not saying replacing Dooku all together, he could still have been in the movie as well?

I would have liked to see Maul go farther... he was pretty much the only good thing in TPM.

I've always thought Maul was handled badly. And I've had an alternative idea that wasnt used and would have made far more sence, to me at least.

Instead of killing Maul, the coolest villain in the prequels, in a split second and undramatically he should have survived past TPM and returned, taking over Grevious' place in ROTS (and somewhat repaired and machine like). That would have suited the story arc all the more better and really brought closure to the films and Obi's story, rather than adding more villains that die every film that we dont really care about.
Thats my personal opinion though. Just wouldve been cool to see Maul return in ROTS as Grevious was just a wild ball charcter, who unless you'd seen the Clone Wars was really out of place.

BDboystoys said:
I've always thought Maul was handled badly. And I've had an alternative idea that wasnt used and would have made far more sence, to me at least.

Instead of killing Maul, the coolest villain in the prequels, in a split second and undramatically he should have survived past TPM and returned, taking over Grevious' place in ROTS (and somewhat repaired and machine like). That would have suited the story arc all the more better and really brought closure to the films and Obi's story, rather than adding more villains that die every film that we dont really care about.
Thats my personal opinion though. Just wouldve been cool to see Maul return in ROTS as Grevious was just a wild ball charcter, who unless you'd seen the Clone Wars was really out of place.
I like this idea. You should have written these movies man. You actually just described the movies I would have loved to have seen. Maul and Qui Gon were the best characters and they both should have lasted a bit longer.

I always thought that it was odd that Obi Wan warns Anakin in ROTS that "It's over...I have the high ground" and yet he pulls the same move on Maul in TPM and kills him. :confused:

I actually thought Greivous was going to BE Maul in a robo outfit (I read no spoilers before the movie and had know knowledge of what would happen like many did) I think that would have been better, 1- He couldn't tech. be a "Sith" any more, and 2- I think it would have been a cooler idea, kinda what would become of Anakin (Sith getting taken down put into robo outfit)

I didn't like the comic version of him with longer horns and robo legs, that was lame IMO, but if they just made him General G. things would have been cooler. Maybe while Obi Wan was fighting him, his mask popped off and you saw what remained of his face!

Darthrazz said:
I always thought that it was odd that Obi Wan warns Anakin in ROTS that "It's over...I have the high ground" and yet he pulls the same move on Maul in TPM and kills him. :confused:

I don't get what you mean. Why he didn't kill Anakin? Or why Lucas made him cut people up like Thanksgiving Dinner?

PosterBoyKelly said:
I don't get what you mean. Why he didn't kill Anakin? Or why Lucas made him cut people up like Thanksgiving Dinner?

He means Maul had the high ground in TPM and still lost. I'd say that Anakin had a much better chance of pulling off his jump-flip attack than Obi did leaping straight up the shaft, right in front of Maul, while force-calling Qui-Gon's lightsaber. If anyone should know that the high ground doesn't mean automatic victory it would be Obi Wan. Unless he's just that c***y :lol

pfronz said:
He means Maul had the high ground in TPM and still lost. I'd say that Anakin had a much better chance of pulling off his jump-flip attack than Obi did leaping straight up the shaft, right in front of Maul, while force-calling Qui-Gon's lightsaber. If anyone should know that the high ground doesn't mean automatic victory it would be Obi Wan. Unless he's just that c***y :lol

OOOHHH I got it!

Well, Obi and Maul were both more inexperienced than Obi was in ROTS, Maul wasn't some super experienced Sith, he was still kinda fresh. It was his mistake. ALSO, Maul was ****y, like Anakin, high ground or not. Probably was in such shock that this Padawan just escaped death AND got a weapon back that he didn't think to attack.

Or the Force, just say the Force, it fills in ALL loopholes:D

I always wondered what would of happened if the Emporer had cloned Darth Maul like the troopers. That would of been something to see in AOTC when Obi is suspended on Geonosis and in walks Maul. Or even better have Dukoo be a politician in Palpatine's pocket and the clone Maul be his body guard. The only thing is that you couldn't keep killing him or it would become comical, unless there was an army of cloned Maul out there.

Another way I would have liked to have seen Maul would be to entirely replace Dooku. Instead of having Maul cut in half, have either Obi Wan or Maul escape, just so both can live to fight another day. Then replace Dooku in AOTC with Maul, who would be more powerful and a match for both Obi Wan (again) and Anakin. Then finally in ROTS, Obi and Anakin could have squared up against Maul one more time, with Obi getting knocked unconscious somehow (pretty much how Dooku did it). Then have Anakin execute Darth Maul as he did Dooku. I thing it would have given more substance to Anakin's power and show how much he fouled up at the end when Obi Wan defeats him. Plus it would have made all the fans go nuts. Just my 2 cents.

I have always thought that Maul and GG should have been combined and Dooku and Gunray should have been combined. Would have made the PT way more cohesive and would have given the important villains ALOT more screen time.

This is the thing that bugged me about the PT is it really has a feeling of being written as it went along.

Oh and Naboo should have been Alderaan and the battle on Naboo should have been the start of the clone wars.

IMO.

Darthrazz said:

Maul wasn't half the warrior that Obi and Anakin were by the end of the PT. That trick worked on Maul, but it wasn't going to work on Master Obi-Wan

Maul looked cool as hell, but he got chopped up by a padawan. If Master Obi-Wan from ROTS faced him, it wouldn't even be a contest.

By the end of ROTS, the Jedi are such experienced warriors, the only characters left who Maul could defeat would be Jar Jar & 3PO.

I'd give R2 the edge, just because he's craftier, but it'd go a few rounds. I'd give even odds on Maul vs. pre-pregnancy Padme. :)

An army of Maul clones is a good idea, one I expected GL to use. Would clones have the same midichlorian count as the template? Maybe the emperor was afraid that he wouldn't be able to control them.

Did any of you read the Visonaries comic..the return of maul was in there..he tracked Obi Wan across the galaxy to tatooine..

I really agree with everyone..when I read this, I knew Maul was a wasted character..I thought Maul should have been Greivous...and then became a prototype for Vader (half man half machine) the Emperor's testing apprentice:emperor

185px-Visionaries_Darth_Maul.jpg

Old Wounds

Story and Art: Aaron McBride
13 pages
Galactic Year: 16 BBY
Preceded by: The Value of Proper Intelligence to Any Successful Military Campaign is Not to be Underestimated
Followed by: The Destroyer

The opening story, "Old Wounds" by Aaron McBride, is set in "the third year Imperial Occupation" and begins with Owen Lars trying to teach new words to a toddler-age Luke Skywalker. They see a strange figure on the horizon running towards the Lars homestead, and Owen instructs his wife Beru to bring him his rifle and take the boy inside. The figure dodges warning shots with ease and uses the Force to disarm Owen before smashing the weapon over his head. Standing on triple-jointed droid legs and concealed by a dark hood, the figure calls out through the Force to an unseen enemy. The voice claims to have been tracking this adversary for years, just missing him by two days on Kamino, Geonosis and Mustafar. He had then killed witnesses on Polis Massa before finally gaining crucial information on Mos Espa from an aged Watto, whom he beheads for his greed. The creature declares that he knows threatening Luke would bring his adversary out into the open, to which the hidden voice finally asks through the Force, "Does Palpatine know?" The cyborg-legged monster replies, "No. There is no Palpatine. No Empire. No Jedi. There is no Light. No Dark... Just you and I here now." At this point, Obi-Wan Kenobi bursts out from the sand. The dark figure casts off his hood and reveals himself to be Darth Maul, his severed lower body replaced by a pair of large cybernetic legs and abdomen, and his cranial horns having grown, crown-like, to over three times their original length. Kenobi and Maul engage in furious combat, in which Maul loses a further arm and four horns before being held at Kenobi's mercy. With his lightsaber hilt to Maul's forehead and his finger on the blade-ignition button, Kenobi hesitates to execute his helpless opponent, but has the decision taken out of his hands when the revived Owen blows the former Sith's head apart with his damaged rifle.

Maul really wasn't a leader though, so I don't think he could have replaced Dooku or Grievous. He was a soldier or more aptly a weapon to be used.

Darthrazz said:

Well, Obi-Wan was in a position of anticipation in ROTS, he knew Anakin might try something and he was ready for whatever came at him. Darth Maul was in a position where he felt he had won and it would only be a matter of time before he knocked Kenobi off and finished him, and when Obi-Wan managed to escape his fate, Maul was like "did he just do that" and before he could react he was down.

As for Maul being used beyond TPM, I think he could and should have. Sidious could have still used disillusioned Jedi Dooku as a Separatist but not a Sith, much like he worked Nute Gunray and the Trade Federation, and Maul could have remained his apprentic up through ROTS, but I think when Lucas wrote TPM, Maul was a short lived character to fill the role of "always two" and show that a Sith plot had been brewing, then in his grand political plot line, Dooku's falling was needed, and Lucas failed to anticipate the popularity of Maul, of course Maul's story was written before the design had been finalized I'm sure, so there wasn't even a notion that he could gain great popularity among the fandom.

Back