WOW!!!! Its a Sideshow Day!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

ironman1188

Wow!!! Not only did I get my Frank Black and Invisible Man today, the doorbell just rang and there was my friendly, neighborhood UPS guy with another package. This one was my POTA parcel. :p
Brent and Ursus have arrived!!!
Well.....I'll probably try and do a photo review over the weekend, but for starters.....
Awww hell, let's start with Brent. Same uni as Taylor [except with Brent name strip] and an added undershirt. He comes with his dogtags, empty water container and oxygen mask and shovel [guess I'll have to whip up a "Skipper" so he can use them :lol ]
The headsculpt is a LOT better in person than in the site photos. However, its still not Brent [doesn't matter whether they tried and failed or they couldn't get the license, its not Brent] That having been said its not a bad "generic" figure. The eyebrows are real bushy and I don't know why they chose to paint his eyes so far off to the side. His hair is much more brown than the blonder tone it really had in the film. After all the hoopla about this figure, I must admit I like it better than I thought I would. Then again that could be partially due to....
Ursus, however, was a major disappointment. Coming with only his handgun as an accessory [and NO holster to put it in], his head was loose enough to be a dashboard bobblehead and the helmet, as has been mentioned, is attached permanently [?]
His wrists have no articulation as their Hasbro partnership seems to have started early and the gloves/gauntlets are molded all in one piece. The armor is also Hasbro-esque and was already coming loose as I got him out of the box. The helmet as I said is attached to the head but the leather draping that hangs down onto the armor in the film does not even reach the shoulders here. Heck, it doesn't even make it past the hair. The hair? The hair has next to no detail to it at all. It has some brush strokes to alter the color a bit but no "depth" to it whatsoever.
I never thought I'd say it...Brent was the better deal out of these two. Maybe a repaint could even make him look like Franciscus. ;)

You aren't kidding about Ursus. I got him the other day and thought something was wrong because the "drape" from his helmet is only half the length shown on the SS website and half of what it SHOULD BE. And then you get that dinky gun for a sole accessory.

Man, SS just keeps letting me down lately. I've canceled 6 orders since 2 weeks ago.

thanks for the heads up.
Im a moderate POTA fan and dont have any of the line, but was debating the Urses just cause I thought he looks really cool. I'll pass now though.

The exclusive has the machine gun with removeable clip and is still available from SSC. Although I don't remember him, he's probably my favorite monkey that they've done - he's the only one with armor anyway. The leather bit of the helmet is shorter than it should be, but otherwise the figure is fine.

The leather bit of the helmet is shorter than it should be, but otherwise the figure is fine.

I would hazard to say that, to you, its fine because you don't remember him. The likeness isn't there, the hair detail isn't there, the decision to make the hands that way was not the way to go.....
I had very high hopes for this figure as he was one of my favorite characters from the films. He did not come out as well as one would have hoped and the inclusion of his having armor does not save it. The armor is very reminiscent of Hasbro's HOF vests in that it is a molded one piece "vest" joined together on the sides. The rest of the armor is sewed on loosely in place and did not even withstand his coming out of the box on mine. And they couldn't have splurged for a holster for the handgun??

Maybe it's just the exclusive again, but it DOES have a holster for the handgun. I guess since he didn't have another gun they figured he didn't need it on the regular release.

Maybe it's just the exclusive again, but it DOES have a holster for the handgun. I guess since he didn't have another gun they figured he didn't need it on the regular release.

The exclusive version has a holster for the handgun? The same handgun the regular release comes with?
Sorry, but thats just stupid. No offense, but both versions come with the same gun and you withhold the holster on the regular release?? Please tell me there was a good reason for that. Its not like the regular issue is laden with extras to start with.

There is always an incentive to buy the exclusive - the holster is just part of it.

There is always an incentive to buy the exclusive - the holster is just part of it.

The "incentive" for the exclusive was its being the only way to get the machine gun. To withhold the holster makes no sense at all, an please don't tell me you think it was a good idea, Dave.
And my exclusive should be here later today according to tracking, but the machine gun and holster better be absolutely awesome to make up for the rest.

My Ursus Exclusive finally arrived today. :D

Overall I'm quite pleased with mine. The drapping on the helmet is too short. :( I agree that SS droped the ball with the helmet but it's really the only problem with the figure. Although the lack of wrist articulation is a pain it's not that bad. I can still pose Ursus with both weapons.

Mine also has the holster so I guess it was part of the exclusive. The sub-machinegun is a nice accessory and worth the extra cost.

The armor isn't elaborate but you can't count that against the figure cause it looks the same as the photos of it on SS's site. It's not like SS was trying to fool their customers by releasing the figure that looked nothing like the prototype like they did with Willow. :poke

I think the fact that your regular Ursus doesn't have a holster is a mistake. I believe that BOTH the regular and exclusive General Ursus are suppose to have the holster. Has anyone else received a regular Ursus without the holster as well?

The ONLY exclusive accessory is the sub-machine gun. Here's the link to the Ursus page for reference:

www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=apes_12&item=75081

Is there a way to take it back and exchange it for one that has one?

Boy, Ironman, you ARE a bigger Ape Fan than me... you bought BOTH Ursus versions! Like the two Zaius or Astronaut Taylors, I need both versions to have something unique onto itself to get BOTH of them. Did you get both Caesars as well? I myself might pick up a regular Caesar and a spare Cornelius and do a little bashing to get a pseudo-"Battle" Caesar.

As for Ursus, I myself was a tad disappointed with him. The decisions made in regard to the helmet would not be the ones that I would essentially make. Also, his head looks a tad small in comparsion to the rest of the line. And his likeness could be better... too bad Mat couldn't have done this one as well. Is it just me, but isn't the sub-machine gun a bit too large?

Overall, a fairly good monkey.

Good eye Protozaius.

On SS's site it does indeed say that the standard version comes with the holster.

Is there a way to take it back and exchange it for one that has one?
My Hellboy belt debacle was enough to keep me from going thru that again, although it is apparent it was never in the box or on the figure which would lead me to think it was a Sideshow oversight. Their policy being what it is looks like I'll just be SOL ...again.
I have [or will by todays end] both Ursus, both Zaius, 2 Taylors, 1 Brent, 2 Cornelius, 1 Zira, 5 gorilla soldiers and a Lawgiver Statue.
I hadn't ordered any Caesars due to the question of what head he would have. To be honest, if they were using Cornelius' head, I would've made my own. Now, I'll have to find the $ to get at least one.
The way things look, I'll probably have to break one Ursus up and redo a number of things to get 1 good version.
:\

Did you get the regular version from Sideshow? If so their "policy being what it is" you shouldn't have any trouble exchanging it. If you got it from ebay or a dealer it would depend on them.

No, I only got the exclusive from them. I needed to try and save a few sheckles somewhere. :)

OK, just got the exclusive dropped off at my door. This one does have the holster, if thats what you can call it. First, its on the wrong side. Second, its the most horrid excuse for a holster I've ever seen. What gives??
I'm not sure about the gun being a bit big because I can't get it into either of his hands.

Well, I saw that the Free hat is now available with placing an order for Ursus, so I canceled my Custer order. But going by all the somewhat unfavorable reviews of Ursus, I decided not to order that one either. Instead, I put the money towards the Angel figure that I've been eyeballing for about a year now. This one is so difficult to find, that the time was now or never.
So no free hat for me.

I have [or will by todays end] both Ursus, both Zaius, 2 Taylors, 1 Brent, 2 Cornelius, 1 Zira, 5 gorilla soldiers and a Lawgiver Statue.

What, no Vision Lawgiver?

I basically have one of each... I have yet to find the scratch to buy any doubles. Perhaps when I'm no longer buying any new Apes I'll grab a few at clearamce prices. I see at Alter Ego they have Cornelius and Zira for $20 each!

Back