PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Giant Serenity Mini-Busts

tomandshell
06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Exclusive to Razor's Edge and coming soon:

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/protomal.jpg

Batty
06-14-2007, 09:20 PM
They're really trying to pull me back in! I must be strong!

tomandshell
06-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I will find room for these.

Eli26
06-14-2007, 09:28 PM
If Serenity is getting the royal minibust treatment from Gentle Giant I just might have to bite.

Trevolver
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
They've got me hooked...we'll see if they can reel me in when final proto shots are shown.

thank god someone is doing something that could actually look great! It's about ruttin' time!

:D
Trev

Batty
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Now if we could just get Sideshow to announce a 1/6 line.

Hmmm, SDCC is coming up.

tomandshell
06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Let's hope that this line does really well, and the powers that be will see that there is actually a market for Firefly/Serenity collectibles that don't look like crap.

Batty
06-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Does that mean I should buy one to help prove a point? :D

tomandshell
06-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Does that mean I should buy one to help prove a point? :D

Yes.

:D

Punchy
06-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I will definitely pick these up.

Darklord Dave
06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
This could be very interesting. Congrats to Mike for setting this up. I imagine they will be strictly limited.

tomandshell
06-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I imagine they will be strictly limited.

No, they won't be making 1500.

(The Mal bust will be limited to 1000 pieces.)

Sire
06-14-2007, 11:48 PM
YAAAY!!! Gentle Giant have produced a mixed bag when i comes to busts imo some are sooo good (Snape, Darth Maul) and some are poo (Qui Gonn) But i remain hopfully. Im just so glad a bigish company is finally taking some notice of the Serenity Licence!

mrichards2002
06-15-2007, 09:05 AM
This could be very interesting. Congrats to Mike for setting this up. I imagine they will be strictly limited.

Thanks Dave (and everyone else). Yes, all of these will be strictly limited and will be sold with an allocation. We're looking to get as many of these in collector's hands as possible.

You will not see any large runs here.

Thanks,
Mike

minivader
06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
why isn't there any company makes 1/6 figures of firefly? :confused: I think there should be enough fans out there that would want some.

galactiboy
06-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Cool, I don't really care for Mini-busts (don't collect or own any) but Firefly might be cool enough to pull me in.

Darklord Dave
06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I wasn't a minibuster until Harry Potter pulled me in. since these are coming from GG, I'm hoping for HP quality and not the inconsistencies of the SW busts. I'll be picking them all up - in for a penny, in for a goram nickel!

abstractharmony
06-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Drool!!!!!!!!!

Mike - this is awesome news!!!!!!!

mrichards2002
06-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just so we are all on the same page. This is sculpted by Gentle Giant and is being produced by DST.

Thanks,
Mike

JoeSweden
06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Count me in! Finally!! I have all the Buffy/Angel minibusts (before they became 1/2 a statue) they will go great with these. We Browncoats are starved!:chew

olvidadero
06-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Yay!!!! I will get them, that's a fact.

spaceman
06-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Very exciting.

koipond
06-19-2007, 06:19 AM
so will these be made of resin?

praxitas
06-19-2007, 06:40 AM
I'm in for all of them. Awesome news. I hope Jayne is wearing the lovely beanie his momma knitted for him :lol

Please let us know when the proto pics are up and when pre-orders will begin.

:chew

JABBATHERIDGE
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Exclusive to Razor's Edge and coming soon:

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/protomal.jpg

Wow:google

When I first saw the title to this thread I thought this was gonna be one of those "I'd love it if they made......" threads.

Really glad these are actually gonna happen and I'm sure GG/DST will make a fine job of them, don't know whether I'd go to the trouble of picking up the entire line but Mal and Jayne are a certainty and I will also pick up a Reever if they make one.

mrichards2002
06-19-2007, 05:46 PM
so will these be made of resin?

Yep, They are Resin.

Thanks,
Mike

koipond
06-20-2007, 06:23 AM
then i'm gettin' 2 each. one for the bust-y goodness and one to hacksaw the heads off of for my own 1/6 scale crew.

ProgMatinee
06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
then i'm gettin' 2 each. one for the bust-y goodness and one to hacksaw the heads off of for my own 1/6 scale crew.

Not that I can really tell you how to spend your money, but please don't do that.

At only 1000 there really aren't enough to go around as it is. For someone to purposely destroy 1 would be a shame.

Simply take a mold of the head and cast it for use as a 1/6 doll.

mrichards2002
06-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

There's a teaser pic up on the main page now of SC.

Thanks,
Mike

olvidadero
06-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

There's a teaser pic up on the main page now of SC.

Thanks,
Mike

Where? What pic?

tomandshell
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Where? What pic?

http://serenitycollectors.com/

Sire
06-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Looking nice! Im not sure if i like that he doesnt have a base similar to the star wars, lotr and harry potter busts. He looks a little like a bust up without it.

olvidadero
06-21-2007, 04:47 AM
http://serenitycollectors.com/

Thank you! Looks good so far.

Firefly Flanatic
06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Looks pretty good except it looks like a very young Mal - but I still want it!! Any idea of when this will be available to pre-order and what the price of it will be?

Also, where do you sign up to register? I can find no link for that and I checked with both Foxfire and IE.

Protozaius
06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Looks pretty good except it looks like a very young Mal - but I still want it!! Any idea of when this will be available to pre-order and what the price of it will be?

I would like to know as well. I hope we will have plenty of notice before these things go up for pre-order. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

CAhobbit
06-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh man. I was tempted to get into the line but that prototype is not screaming a good likeness IMO. I kind of see it but I have to wonder what the final product will look like (it scares me a little). Decisions, decisions.

Trevolver
06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
hmmm, I think I'll pass...That is REALLY painful for me to say....As I'm as excited as anyone else that these are getting made...but I just don't feel any bit of Malcom Reynolds in this piece...:(

I commend the effort though, because I know how very very hard likenesses are.

Trev

galactiboy
06-22-2007, 06:07 PM
I gotta agree with ya Trev... it just doesn't feel like Mal. Its not bad, but not enough to pull me in. Especially into a format I don't collect to begin with. Maybe the in-hand shots will be more encouraging?

Darth Rage
06-22-2007, 07:15 PM
I must say I am extremely underwhelmed. I like the pose, but the likeness just is not there.

praxitas
06-22-2007, 07:26 PM
This one is so-so. I'm not big on the hair and could have added a little more body mass to him. Mal was thin but he seems pretty boney. I think if they would have nailed the hair a bit better he would have looked great. For their first one I'll give a 6.5 outta 10. Not that my opinion matters :lol

Trevolver
06-22-2007, 09:17 PM
it would have been nice to see Mal with his one sided smile for this piece, or even a p*ssed off Mal (you wanna meet the REAL me?!). I've tried sculpting Fillion twice now, so I'm a bit critical because of that. I had planed to make a 1/6 scale doll head that I might pitch to Sideshow in HOPES that they were interested in the line. But, I made him too small....so until I can pull a good Mal off, I'm gonna have to eat my own words.

Fillion is a great subject to sculpt. interesting face for someone that really isn't your most definable looking actor. nose and mouth are really unique.

Trev

Batty
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Trev, do you still have the sculpt? Any chance we could see it? If SS does do a 1/6 line, it better be you who sculpts them!

I was on the fence about the mini-busts. Sad to say, but I don't think I'll be getting Mal. The likeness is a little too generic for me.

I do applaud Mike for bringing this line to life. I know they'll sell very well.

Trevolver
06-23-2007, 06:58 PM
yes I definitely commend Mike for getting this going, it's really very cool and exciting.

My first mal sculpt I melted down (wax) because it was terrible. that was over a year ago. my second one was earlier this year, and it was the one I got too small for 1/6 figures, so I built it all up with more wax. that head still exists and I plan to turn it back into Mal when I get some time, but as it is now, it's hardly impressive! :D:D that's why I lost my steam...

once I can get to them, I will. they're really important for me to pursue. I hate to be so critical of other work without having something to show that's any better!
Trev

olvidadero
06-24-2007, 05:05 AM
Another unhappy and disappointed fan over here.

jaynesgal
06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm totally phyched about this line. I finally get some Serenity busts, wooo hoooooo....

Protozaius
06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
yes I definitely commend Mike for getting this going, it's really very cool and exciting.

My first mal sculpt I melted down (wax) because it was terrible. that was over a year ago. my second one was earlier this year, and it was the one I got too small for 1/6 figures, so I built it all up with more wax. that head still exists and I plan to turn it back into Mal when I get some time, but as it is now, it's hardly impressive! :D:D that's why I lost my steam...

once I can get to them, I will. they're really important for me to pursue. I hate to be so critical of other work without having something to show that's any better!
Trev

You MUST post pics of your work when you are finaly done with Mal. I would LOVE to see them. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Old Grandpa
06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
it would have been nice to see Mal with his one sided smile for this piece, or even a p*ssed off Mal (you wanna meet the REAL me?!). I've tried sculpting Fillion twice now, so I'm a bit critical because of that. I had planed to make a 1/6 scale doll head that I might pitch to Sideshow in HOPES that they were interested in the line. But, I made him too small....so until I can pull a good Mal off, I'm gonna have to eat my own words.

Fillion is a great subject to sculpt. interesting face for someone that really isn't your most definable looking actor. nose and mouth are really unique.

Trev

I agree with you Trev. There is no life to the sculp and the hair is wrong. This is just the prototype, but still.... Also a base for the bust would have been a great idea. To buy these just to send a message is a pretty expensive way to try to get a point across. I'm still pushing for the 1:6 (12") figure line. I'd much rather spend my hobby dollars on a great line of figures.

Grandpa always knows best

mrichards2002
07-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

We just posted updated Mal Prototype pics on Serenity Collectors. We just received our Final Prototype of the bust. Here's the link to the new pics. Enjoy.

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=228

Thanks,
Mike

CAhobbit
07-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Ooooooo. The likeness is there (slightly) but it still seems a little off. Of course I think it looks pretty darn good in the end (it looks better then the first pictures from a month or so ago IMO). Must, resist urge to start collecting a new line. The pull is so strong though.

tomandshell
07-18-2007, 09:01 PM
I would like one each of the nine main characters, and I think that Mal is a great way to start. I will be ordering one when they go up!

Polystoner
07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Hey, he looks much improved. I have firm rule about no bust collecting, though! (Which I broke for the Scarface Life Size and the Spidey Life Size).

Okay, so no small busts! (which I broke for the Magdalena bust).

Okay, so I'm ordering this one! :monkey3

olvidadero
07-29-2007, 09:23 AM
That looks much better. I will get it. Bring on the rest of the crew!

Protozaius
08-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Any idea as to when it goes up for pre-order? I was worried that it would go up while I was away at SDCC. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

GGC
08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Any idea as to when it goes up for pre-order? I was worried that it would go up while I was away at SDCC. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

Should be by the last week of August and First Week of Sept. I am shooting the Final Paintmaster tonight, I'll post pics when done.

Protozaius
10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Any word on these??? :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

tomandshell
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I haven't heard anything--it's been pretty quiet.

Protozaius
10-11-2007, 06:10 PM
That can't be a good sign. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Batty
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Last week on the Serenity boards Mike said that the manufacturing process is taking awhile. Mal is still on the way.

blue_rogue
10-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm patiently awaiting this. Hopefully that fact that it's not being rushed will mean that it turns out well.

Protozaius
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
And I hope that we will get plenty of notice when they go up for pre-order. I would hate to hear about it after the fact... after Mal sells out. :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

mrichards2002
10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are waiting patiently for Mr. Mal. Once we get a shipping notice on him, we will put up preorder instructions on Serenity Collectors. I think he will be worth the wait. I have the paint master sitting on one of my shelves next to my RWOS. LOL.

Thanks,
Mike

ProgMatinee
10-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

We are waiting patiently for Mr. Mal. Once we get a shipping notice on him, we will put up preorder instructions on Serenity Collectors. I think he will be worth the wait. I have the paint master sitting on one of my shelves next to my RWOS. LOL.

Thanks,
Mike

RWOS? RICK WAKEMAN'S ORIGINAL SYNTHESIZER? Holy *****!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomandshell
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not allowed to post the link, but members of SerenityCollectors.com are now able to order the Mal Reynolds mini bust from Razor's Edge. I got my order in for one. (There is a limit of two per household.)

So if you aren't a member of the site, just be ready because it ought tho go live to the general public within a few days.

ProgMatinee
11-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Picked mine up as well, though not entirely pleased with the cheapest shipping choice being over $12!

pordey2
11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Picked mine up as well, though not entirely pleased with the cheapest shipping choice being over $12!

12? Mine is $44

EDIT:
But that's overseas shipping, and I even got refunded some as the calculator showed too much. Top notch service! :rock

GGC
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
12? Mine is $44

$44 in the US?

tomandshell
11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
He is now up for sale to the general public:

MAL BUST @ RAZOR'S EDGE (http://www.razorsedgecollectibles.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2855&osCsid=f152a38303b3db46ef74d2501ca30a0e)

GGC
11-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I think it looks better than the PaintMaster, I love it. Pics of mine in Hand Below:

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malside5.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malside4.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malside3.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malside.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malclose3.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malclose2.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malclose1.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malfrontbox.jpg

http://www.serenitycollectors.com/Mal07/malbackbox.jpg

Protozaius
11-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Looks GREAT GGC!!!

Interesting... his hair turned out a lot darker than the paint master. It's looks to be the same color as his pants!!! :rolleyes:

blue_rogue
11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
It's nice that us East Coasters are able to get something first for a change. :cool:

Got mine (#0861) yesterday. He looks a little younger than he should, but it's a great start to what will hopefully turn into a complete collection of the Serenity crew.

http://i16.tinypic.com/86sj2nr.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/6okv71c.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/6ozv9eb.jpg

The Craw
11-17-2007, 02:03 PM
why does he have no base? some talented sculpter could probably make the rest of him and have a sweet mal statue.

mrichards2002
11-21-2007, 02:19 AM
why does he have no base? some talented sculpter could probably make the rest of him and have a sweet mal statue.

The base is built into the bottom of the bust. I'm not a fan of chess board bases. So we had him designed this way.

We are not doing statues of Serenity as of yet. Right now, just busts.

Everyone who is receiving him has had good things to say about him.

And to answer a couple of questions and statements posted earlier;

$12.00 shipping would be for someone on the West Coast which is the furthest point from us since we are in and ship from New York.

$44.00 shipping is overseas (not sure where), it varies by location.
It would have been nice for pordey2 to mention he is overseas, so people do not think Razor's bangs them out for shipping. :lol

You can ask many of my regulars (and I have alot of them). My shipping prices are some of the fairest prices on the net and we actually know how to pack a box. LOL.

Alot of the old SSF members will know this acronym.
RWOS = Ringwraith on Steed Statue (from Sideshow/Weta). :D

Thanks Again for everyone's support of us on this project.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families.

Thanks,
Mike

oldduffer
11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Mine is almost home, it'll be an early Christmas for sure!

Thanks Mike!!:D

tomandshell
11-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I can say that when I ship busts across the country after selling them on eBay, I usually have to charge more for shipping than Mike does. It is rare for me to send a package to the East Coast for $12--it's typically more like $14 or $15. So I have no complaints about the shipping charges.

oldduffer
11-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Mine is home and I'm happy, with bust and the box! Great start to the line Mike. :D

ProgMatinee
11-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Got mine the other day and really like it! Looks very nice with my meager SW mini-bust collection.

Keep them coming. About 2 or 3 a year would be great!

oldduffer
12-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Let's hope it continues PM, and the pieces just keep getting better and better! :D

Protozaius
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I wonder how the sales have been for this piece. Has it been strong enough to warrant another piece?

pordey2
12-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Got mine a week ago. LOVE it!
Great job on this one, now we only have to wait for the next one(s) :D

olvidadero
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd love to see some pictures of Mal from you guys!

oldduffer
12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I wonder how the sales have been for this piece. Has it been strong enough to warrant another piece?

Hope Mike will have some info, might be a bit though :D

deanandre
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I just ordered 2 Mal busts last week and lucked into Razor's Edge Collectibles big holiday sale! I managed to pick up some great deals on DC Direct figure sets for insanely low prices. Also picked up a Batman Begins 7" statue for $15!

They did a great job of packing everything, and I can't endorse them enough!

The Mal bust is just amazing. Best Mal likeness on anything I've seen so far in 3 dimensions. The sculpt is great and so is the paint job. Often Gentle Giant does great sculpts, but the factory paint jobs lose the likeness. I don't find that to be the case with Mal though. Also the pistol is a great sculpt as well!

I read a review on Michael Crawford's review site and just had to get one. Check it out here: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_112807a.htm
The pics are great, but just can't do justice to the 3-D likeness captured on him.

I encourage any of you who are on the fence about this bust to pick it up. Hopefully, there will be more Serenity busts to come. My pick is to do either Inara, Zoe, or River. I'm not a huge fan of Jayne, but I'd love to see any of the girls be made as the next bust (Kaylie would be nice too).

One last comment...
I really like the idea of the bust as a half-statue rather than a torso on a pedastal (like chess pieces). Good idea!

oldduffer
12-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Come on Christmas, mine's under the tree ................. I'm ready to misbehave a bit! :D

oldduffer
12-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Got it in hand and on display, excellent first effort in the RE Serenity bust line Mike:D!

DarkKnight2k4
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I would also like to see some final pics of actual distributed pieces.

BuffyGirl
02-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Damn, first of all, I didn't know about this. Second, it's more than I want to spend. I am however getting the 3 pc PVC set. That's good enough for me until A, I can afford more and B, they make 12" figures.

ProgMatinee
07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Saw the Mal bust is only $29.99 at Razor's Edge now. Guess thats probably a good indication the line won't continue.