My Yavin Luke review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wasn't able to attend Celebration, but I did snag a few of the exclusives, thanks in part to helpful companies like Sideshow that allow you to get non-attendee figures. The Yavin Luke isn't quite up to the level of the rest of the series, with some paint issues and a bit of a tough price to swallow considering what you're getting in the box. But if you're a completist - or a Luke freak - then you'll want to check him out. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

I thought this one looked very cartoonish. You can see it by itself, but put up against Jedi Luke it definitely shows. I think it has to do more with the paint than the sculpt. Nevermind I didn't realize it was less detailed than the others. I guess it's both.

Hmmm - I don't think cartoonish is exactly right. It doesn't appear like an animated character to me, but more like a mannequin, as I mentioned in the review. While it might seem harsh at times when we nit pick on what seems like small details (like the sculpted detail lines on Luke's lips), these small details are what add up to make the difference between "looks like the real guy" and "looks like a guy in the window of a department store".

"since $60 is getting you pretty mediocre figure, when it should be getting on one of their better efforts"

That says it all!

Great review, as usual, MC. I agree with you on just about everything. I think the paint and sculpt take it down just a little more for me. It is the small details that are important.

This pic says it all. Look how great Jedi Luke looks next to average Luke. I don't get it. We seem to be moving backwards.

Michael Crawford said:
Hmmm - I don't think cartoonish is exactly right. It doesn't appear like an animated character to me, but more like a mannequin, as I mentioned in the review. While it might seem harsh at times when we nit pick on what seems like small details (like the sculpted detail lines on Luke's lips), these small details are what add up to make the difference between "looks like the real guy" and "looks like a guy in the window of a department store".

Yeah, it's not as real looking as the others, very life-less. Like a mannequin.:monkey5

How about his massive head?

Where's [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]McCloud? :tap [/SIZE][/FONT]

Sachiel said:
Where's [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]McCloud? :tap [/SIZE][/FONT]

Yeah, [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]:tap [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]:tap [/SIZE][/FONT]

I was going to offer you $5 for your Yavin Luke Dave, but now i changed my mind :monkey1

EVILFACE said:
No ding for the massive hands?

From the review "The other area that effects this score is the hands. While I applaud Sideshow for continuing to give us sculpted and painted hands, these are oversized once again. The fisted hands aren't too bad, but the open 'force' gesturing hand looks like a bear paw."

I think you really hit all the points in your review. This is a difficult figure in that in total I actually like him quiet a bit, but there are issues that hold him back from what could have been a really awesome figure.

I do hope that this is more of a glitch and they really nail the Farmboy version.

Michael Crawford said:
...But if you're a completist - or a Luke freak - then you'll want to check him out. ...
Since I'm a completist, this one hit me like a bat between my...:google. Oh... at least the packaging looks cool... I still don't have mine in hand, but I haven't seen one single picture of this Yavin Luke that made me go: "hmmm!" The lack of detail makes you think that SSC was in a real hurry to finish this one. Either that, or the sculptor has a very specific style, meaning that this 12" Luke was actually mend to look like that! I guess this is the EDSEL of the 12" SW line... I'm trying really hard, but I can't see Mark Hamill in that sculpt.

I agree with everything in your review but this:

Michael Crawford said:
The shirt is a little less impressive, not because of the quality, but because of the reuse from the Jedi Luke.

The shirt on the Yavin Luke figure is nothing doesn't resemble the Jedi Luke shirt at all (except that they're both black)... If anything it resembles the Bespin Han shirt. But I think you'll find if you search for a pic, Luke was indeed wearing this style of shirt.

And I love this pic:

review_yavinluke_large.jpg

pixletwin said:
The shirt on the Yavin Luke figure is nothing doesn't resemble the Jedi Luke shirt at all (except that they're both black)... If anything it resembles the Bespin Han shirt. But I think you'll find if you search for a pic, Luke was indeed wearing this style of shirt.

You're right pix, I thought it was a rehash of Jedi Luke at first, but i thought it odd to make a shirt out of a one piece suit, but the neck is open wider, it's Han's shirt it's patterned off of, and I agree with you, it does work, neck collar and flaps on the chest, like the film shirt, only dissappointment for me is unlike Han, no wire to fold the flap open, though it does tuck behind the jacket and stay folded fairly well on it's own as my pictures showed.

Back