Would love if Sideshow Tailors posted in this forum

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
I think it's awesome that we have Trevor and Andy here to contribute their insights in these threads. I always appreciate any tidbits they share with us on the making of a piece. I also think that the clothing is just as important as the head sculpt. Small details in a costume bring a character to life just as much as a realistic facial expression. The quality of the tailored clothing can make or break a figure (Jedi Luke vs Bespin Han). I would love to hear stories from the people that design the tailored outfits on what has been enjoyable and what has been frustrating while making different attires.

Yes, having people from the cloths department sharing their views would be swell! I'd be very interested in the story behind some of the costumes tailored for the 12" and PF line.
One question I have at the ready is this: why is the 1/6 scale Leia's dress to short? If you look at the production pictures from Carrie Fisher as princess Leia wearing that white dress, holding the blaster, ... The dress reaches her feet. So, the 12" Leia dress clearly is to short. Is that because of the material that was used? Or because of aesthetical reasons? Financial reasons? Artist freedom, or simply because someone didn't pay attention? It's strange that the SSC tailors manage to bring a fair amount of detail in such tiny cloths, and then don't get it right for something simple as the length of a dress? There must be a reason for that.

Which reminds me... Did SSC ever give any feedback about Asajj Ventress's
robe?
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13994
What's it going to be? Robe or cloak?

On a side note: the 12" Asajj has the best exclusive of all the 12" SW figures to date IMO. ES (2000) should have been a little lower though. Leia on the other hand has a perfect ES (1977), but the exclusive item is... well... . I wonder what the ES for the exclusive ANH Ben will be? The shirt may not be correct, but he looks great nonetheless. Could become the best 12" of all, if the production guys get it right.

FYI - 12" Leia's dress has been made longer. We probably won't see it until the production samples though.

You didn't miss it, this is the first I've mentioned it. Came from a conversation I had with a SSC peep at CIV.

Darklord Dave said:
FYI - 12" Leia's dress has been made longer. We probably won't see it until the production samples though.

Funny SS jumps the gun to fix little things when fans whine like Ploos saber color, and the length of Mauls Robe and Leias dress, but don't bother with their other lines like T800's ****ty sunglasses or Sarah's missing watch. What makes Star Wars so special and the other lines chump stuff?

EVILFACE said:
Funny SS jumps the gun to fix little things when fans whine like Ploos saber color, and the length of Mauls Robe and Leias dress, but don't bother with their other lines like T800's ****ty sunglasses or Sarah's missing watch. What makes Star Wars so special and the other lines chump stuff?

You got a point there... I'm sure it is because the SW line is more popular than the other lines.

Star Wars fans are more numerous and far louder. If hundreds of people across multiple forums complained about Arnold's sunglasses for a sustained period of time they'd have been fixed.

The question is, why would the glasses be so poor in the first place? We've seen Hot Toy sunglasses that are superior. Why wouldn't Sideshow artists make better ones?

pixletwin said:
Since neither DekDave nor Ironman have answered, I will on their behalf.

:D

So what is your answer, Marc?

I'd tell you mine but then you guys would just think I'm just being negative. :D

JustinLuck said:
The question is, why would the glasses be so poor in the first place? We've seen Hot Toy sunglasses that are superior. Why wouldn't Sideshow artists make better ones?

Maybe they are incapable of making such improvements at the current price point the figures go for. SSC have already shown they sometimes struggle to make even simple attire pieces to a high standard so it's maybe a budget thing.
The biggest difference for me with SSC's 1/6 figures and the higher end stuff is the attire quality and if SSC improved their tailoring so no "futzing" was required I'd definitely consider buying them again. The price of the figures would inevitably rise but would that be such a bad thing if it made the figures look better?

bcm77 said:
The price of the figures would inevitably rise but would that be such a bad thing if it made the figures look better?

Depending on the rise, yes. Im in college and would like to keep collecting the line but if the prices rise too much more it's bye bye for me. Futzing actually makes me play around with the figures more and is kinda fun actually. That's just me though and its understandable if someone wants to take them right out of the box, display them and never touch them again.

dekadentdave said:
So what is your answer, Marc?

I'd tell you mine but then you guys would just think I'm just being negative. :D

You, negative? When? Where? How much?

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Back