From Boris to bore us,

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poelzig

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Sideshow used to be the best, just look at our banner up top with 12'' characters based on classic horror films, vintage television, historical figures, and sci fi characters not based on a series of "prequals" that truly stunk. They are now just another "high end" face in the crowd producing the same franchise collectables as everyone else. Why put so much effort into "The Dead" line ? Is it really that original or inspired ? I don't think so, a suit, cop, doctor, and patient done up in bloody and tattered clothes......bravo. What ever happened to the 13'' Wrightson - like Frankenstein figure, now there is something original and worth having that would truly have shelf presense.

Worse of all is the neglect of the 12'' Universal Monster line, Pretorius, Maleva, Ygor, among yet a bevy of other memorable characters are greatly desired by fans, and it should never be forgotten that the Universal Monsters are the rock on wich Sideshow was built. It would be a good company policy to produce at least one Universal character every year on either Christmas or Halloween, just as a courtesy to it's roots and it's first supporters.

I'm also saddened by the demise of the Live by the Sword line, that too was Sideshow at thier creative peak in the realm of 12'' figures.

In the end Sideshow is a business, and if a particular item or line of items
doesn't sell enough to justify their creation, then they can't be continued.
I wouldn't make something if I ended up either not being able to sell it and
being stuck with it in stock for months or years, or if I ended up losing
money on every sale with discounts given just trying to move product.

JS

SS just moved from the old horror movies, which are bad movies unless you grew up with them and they are part of your childhood to the bad prequels; so basically they just shifted.

but seriously, if SS stuck with the items you mentioned they wouldn't survive. but i do agree it would be nice if they put out an old horror figure once a year or so.

Vader AL said:
SS just moved from the old horror movies, which are bad movies unless you grew up with them and they are part of your childhood to the bad prequels; so basically they just shifted.

but seriously, if SS stuck with the items you mentioned they wouldn't survive. but i do agree it would be nice if they put out an old horror figure once a year or so.

"Bad movies".....??...........I think you'll find that ignorant comment will land you in the minority...............................Larry

BAD MOVIES! I would have to have my mouth washed out with soap if I said what I really wanted too!!!!!:censored

knewby said:
"Bad movies".....??...........I think you'll find that ignorant comment will land you in the minority...............................Larry

Yup. Born in 74 and I am a big fan of the ol' silent movies. In fact, we have a theater not too far from where I live which, in addition to selling food, also has live organ music while you watch 'em.

The piece that I really really mourn never being made from the UniMonsters line is Mary Philbin as Christine Daae. Would have loved that. :monkey2 :monkey2

philbinphantom.jpg

Ahh, the good old days. There's nothing like 'em, and reminiscing.

You have brought up what I consider to be some very valid points. Sideshow were at the forefront of our collecting experiences. While other companies focussed on military figures, for the most part, Sideshow opened up our world, via the ever loved Uni Monsters, and proceeded to dictate their prowess, through their incredibly good sculpts of recogniseble characters.

I think the Dead line is inspired, as inspired as any of their forays into generic characters, such as The Revenant, and the Viking. These surpass the bureaucratic red tape of licenses. They encompass the artistic imagination of the sculptors, without being bound to scrutiny due to likeness issues. I bet it is a welcome relief for them, and they deserve to have some fun put back into their jobs. The Dead comes under that same umbrella.

I think it really did surprise them. I was under the impression The Revenant never took off because Sideshow had surveyed affiliates, as to what they thought it's saleability might be, and their was little support shown. I think that may be why the initial Patient Zero had such a small edition size. A token for the SDCC. With the bulk of their resources geared toward SW, the Dead, as a line, needn't have much attention shown towards it, while still maintaining interest. Inspired I'd say. Whereas Live by the Sword, may not have had the same level of support from the fans. We are not to know. However, as no line is ever dead, we can have more hope that a generic line may live on again, rather than a licensed one.

Business can be a roller coaster ride, and I like to believe that Sideshow has the stats, to fall back on such lines, when things really turn sour, with some optimism that doing so will level out any cataclysmic downward slide.

Last edited:
I surely do miss the old days of SS. But I still say they are one of the best out there.

The Monster said:
wow!!! was that Frankenstein ever put out? :monkey5

No:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Prototype was shown, but thats as far as it ever got.

Total bummer, that line would have kicked major ass!!!

The Monster said:
It would have got my sale, that is for sure!!!!!!!!:monkey5

I think it would have gotten many sales. Much like the Dead series. I really wish SS would have ran with it.

Back