I just can't watch Star Wars anymore....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
Growing up, I've seen all the films so many times that I literally have most of the scenes, musical cues and dialogue memorized. The original trilogy is no doubt brilliant and epic, but I can't seem to enjoy watching them any more. The less said about the prequels, the better. Up until about a year ago, I was as die-hard a geek as they come. I own all six films on DVD, have several copies of the OT on Laserdisc and VHS; and I have hundreds of the toys and merchandise. But now my passion for it is all but gone.

I hadn't seen a SW film for awhile due to loss of interest, but now, due to the hype of teh 30th anniversary, I'm trying to reinvent myself as a SW fan. Screw the prequels.
The best one is the original. I don't know about any fourth film called A NEW HOPE, I just know this fun little 70's movie called STAR WARS. Now TESB was just as good, if not better, and ROTJ was decent, but I really want to rediscover the original as a standalone film. I find it works better that way.

Sure all six films make an epic and sweeping saga, but if all six films make up one movie, then the first half sucks and comes off as a time-wasting PS2 game with bad-acting and even worse dialogue. It gets really good in the middle of the second half, but the final third almost goes back to quailty of the "first" three.
So now, I am just saying screw it to the franchise and going back to the film I fell in love with in the first place.

Now say what the hardcore geeks will about the non-anamorphic, poor quality of the last OOT DVD release. I love it. I've recently ripped my copy of the original STAR WARS from my 2006 DVD to my hardrive and have been rewatching it on my Windows Media Player. The quality isn't pristine, but it's still decent. It actually looks like a film from the 70's. Imagine that.
Star Wars was originally a fairly low-budget, low-key epic, that was made as a throwback to the serials of the 1930's and 40's. The grainy picture quality enhances that mood and gives it a B-movie feel.

Watching the brand new CGI enchanced quality of the 2004 films only reminds me that there are other SW films. So in the future, if I wish to re-evaluate and accept the saga as a whole, I will watch those versions. But for now, there is only an epic standalone B-movie called STAR WARS.

I can't watch em really anymore either.I just seen them too many times.(especially the OT)And while it sucks anytime i want to visit the SW universe i go the EU route i have much more fun in that world.(but nothin beats watchin ep4)

I'm sick of them now too. I feel like Alex in Clockwork Orange. I used to think it was as beautiful as Beethoven and now when I hear the theme it makes me wretch and gag. :yuck

Well...at least having a Star Wars marathon won't be an all day event anymore...

I just watched Excalibur a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years. I forgot how great that movie was. Watch that and Highlander.

Batty said:
I just watched Excalibur a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years. I forgot how great that movie was. Watch that and Highlander.

I need to revisit Excalibur, I haven't seen it in years.

Back