JS's BTVS induction! My episode thoughts & impressions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JSAuctionService

JS's BTVS induction! My episode thoughts & impressions

EDIT: I've amended the title here, as I'm just gonna keep posting
my random thoughts on the BTVS episodes as I watch them,
if they make a big impression either good or bad. BTVS is
totally new to me, and I'm liking it a lot overall. Many more
winners than losers thus far.

Hello folks! :wave

Being the Buffy newbie that I am, I've watched season 1, and
now am on CD2 of season 2. I've just watched Lie To Me, and
it is far and away my favorite episode of Buffy so far.

Seems like the tone was taken up a notch as far as seriousness
and I certainly like that. I like almost all of the Buffy episodes
(except the one with the Praying Mantis - that was bad) :puke
but I like things darker and more serious than they've been up
to this point in the series that I've seen. Cheesy is OK, but I
like straight-up serious fright and horror typically. If they ever
made up the vampires in Buffy to look like the ones in 'Salem's
Lot (eyes!) I'd be very impressed, and probably even scared. :eek

barlow7ug.jpg
coffin7mk.jpg
ryerson1tq.jpg
sinkyourteeth7ed.jpg
window3og.jpg

Something more "primal" about that type vampire over BTVS's.
Seriously - I want a Buffy episode that will make me jumpy,
turning on the lights before going into a room, and having a
hard time going to sleep. Is there one that fits the bill? :dunno

Again - my favorite movie is Se7en to give you a gage on DARK.

Anyways, I was just blown away tonight, and will happily continue
my journey further into the Buffyverse. :yay :eek :thud

Re: BTVS-S2:Lie To Me - Best Ep. so far for me - Wow! :O + p

While I have always liked Buffy and the figures it has provided, 'Salem's Lot would make for at least a few nice figures too!!

I've seen a Barlow statue, and also a Barlow bust in my searches
in the resin kit world, but I never bookmarked them to return.

They are out there, and look pretty neat though.

Getting the eyes to glow would be amazing, especially if one
could get them a light up glow feature to turn on after dark.

There's not really any full-on 'frightening' episodes... that's just not what the show is about. (Out of Buffy and Angel, the only truly frightening show for me... and man was it frightening... was the one with Spike's first appearence on Angel. Man was he a sadistic bastard... that episode was really 'frightening', for me. Pity that it meant he was written really out of character.)

A friend of mine hates the show because all he sees is the 'cheesiness'... but I personally love it because its a perfect balance of humor, drama, action, etc.

Yep - cheese + light fright + action + comedy = Buffy.

It is fun to watch with my wife, as she and I both get a kick
out of Xander and Willow - their comedy relief is great.
Xander especially, as I like a sarcastic "zinger" type of wit.

Now I can look forward to Willow's "conversion" :naughty :eek:

All-in-all, a nifty show that I'm glad I took the time to get into. :clap

If you like those vamps from Salem's lot, you'll really dig the uber-vamps, or Turok-Han, in season 7.

...Remember that this was made for prime time television, and so is complete with the cheese, 8:00 pm orgasms, and green-goo gore rather than red-goo gore.

I am a HUGE Whedon fan now, but I am also a relative newcomer. I only got into Buffy and Angel a little over a year ago, and now I can practically recite many of the episodes.

There are a few eps that offer some truly chilling moments in season 2: Passion - for the serial killer's perspective, Killed By Death - for the Freddie Krueger-esque quality, and I Only Have Eyes For You, for a great ghost tale. All of these are in a row, so you're in for a treat soon.

Okay - you started it, Jim. I can't help it. It must be written... here's a list of the Buffy eps I consider to be the most creepy. (You may not want to read this if you want to be completely spoiler-free, but I did keep everything as vague as I could.)

Season 3: The only one that really stands out as creepy is Gingerbread, and that's really only in parts. Season three, however, has some of the best humorous Buffy episodes EVER.

Season 4: Hush. I don't think I need to say anything else.

Season 5: Listening To Fear - many will disagree with me, but I thought this one was a great episode, truly creepy just with the camera angles and presentation of a freaky demon.

Season 6: Afterlife definitely gets some serious creep-factor points for all the little posession scenes, espectially Anya's. Also, Villians - just for the scene in the woods.

Season 7: I think there are too many in season 7 to list individually - almost all the scenes with the Turok-Han creeped me out, and Nathan Fillion as the preacher is more than enough to creep out a "dirty girl" like me.

Buffy is more about the pathos than the creep but I'll second Hush as one of the best for sheer skin-crawling.

Thanks for the info on the upcoming episodes!

8:00pm orgasms???? :dunno

Salem's Lot was on prime time TV as well, and I saw it in all it's
glory at the ripe old age of EIGHT! Hence my lifelong attraction
to all things frightening, especially vampires.

Not the creepiest, eeriest, or vampirella-ist but, (series 2) episodes 13 and 14, "Surprise" and "Innocence," mark the moments the Buffyverse found its true voice.

Enjoy!

trnswllw.gif

8:00pm orgasms???? :dunno

That's something I read from some script notes - 8:00 pm orgasms refer to the way TV changes promptly at 8:00 pm, as we are past the "family" hours.

Even within the constraints of an 8 PM time slot and, considering the characters were of high school age, the series did not fall short of often very provocative sexual content and heavy innuendo.

bffybt.jpg

Hence the term "8:00 pm orgasm." They're allowed to be a little more graphic after 8pm.

I think as far as scary mosters go, Buffy did a pretty good job especially considering the tight budget during the first few seasons. I also love the fact that most of the monsters were latex and goo, not CGI.

But I agree with Dave - Buffy was more about the story to be told than about straight-up horror, a fact that truly made it one of the greatest shows on television.

Hence the term "8:00 pm orgasm." They're allowed to be a little more graphic after 8pm
Actually, as it relates to the prime time schedule, 8 PM is considered to be the family hour, hence the term "8 PM orgasm." More "mature" programming content begins at 9 PM.

Yes, Buffy broke all the rules, defied categorization, and redefined genre television.

Viva Buffy! :stake

gls.jpg

best buffys i rekon from season 2 r(might hav 4got afew)

Passions, Lie To Me, Becoming pt1&2, Innocence, Surprise, and When she was bad

You may already know this, but here's some info that I'm sure Buffy fans will appreciate...........

MINOR SPOILERS FOR A CERTAIN BRITISH SCI-FI

Anthony Stewart Head has a recurring role in the second series of the new Dr Who. It wasn't the best show I'd ever seen, but the first season was definitely extremely watchable. I look forward to seeing Anthony on the show (it's good to see him on other shows such as Manchild a few years back as well as Little Britain).

Dont forget about the Monarch of the Glen where Giles plays Chester the womanizer!
...that show also stars the fourth doctor, the great Tom Baker as Donald!

oooh seeing the Buffybot banner got me thinking that we have to have Buffy figures that "talk" like R Lee Ermey and the Scarface Pacino.

Buffybot (seeing Buffy): Say! look at you! You look just like me! We're very pretty.

Buffybot (referring to sex with Spike): It wasn't one time. It was lots of times, and lots of different ways. I can make sketches!

Buffybot: Angel's lame. His hair goes straight up, and he's bloody stupid!

Buffybot (having sex with Spike in the graveyard): Oh Spike, you're the big bad! You're the big bad!

Buffybot (going out to patrol): Time to slay. Vampires of the world beware!

that'd be a great figure,

A talking Buffybot - now there's a way to get people to buy Buffy again. I'm all for it!:banana :stake

What a fantastic idea, ffl1940! Excellent use use of your brain! :clap I've updated my BuffyBot banner in tribute; Hope you don't mind!

Some of my favorite lines are:
To Anya: "Anya! How is your money?"

To Willow: "You're recently gay!"

To Spike: "Darn your sinister attraction!"

To Xander: "I don't understand that question but, thank you for asking!"

Referring to her weapons chest: "Those are my weapons. Give me something big and sharp!"
I agree, a talking feature could be a way to revisit some previously produced figures and rejuvenate the license. Humor was such an important ingredient in the Buffy formula but, IMO, that element never really carried over to the figures. This would be a great device to deliver a dose of much-needed whimsy into the line.

bffybt.jpg

Back