Secondary Market Questions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Aykroyd

Super Freak
Reaction score
If the 1/6 SW exclusives ALWAYS sell out in less than an hour, why are they nearly all available on ebay for less than we paid for them?

Discuss. :monkey3

NOTE = Supply and Demand isn't a good answer. Unless you want to argue that demand always goes down after they have been sent to consumers (which could be true ??:confused: )

Last edited:
I think a lot of people were speculating high returns quickly... but since Luke this really hasn't happened. So a lot are getting impatient and dumping them off quickly.

I don't think this will be the case longterm. There are a lot of 1/6 figures from Sideshow that are demanding very high prices right now that were even higher edition sizes. My guess is that longterm these will see a good increase in price.

sure they sell out, but how many times have we seen second chance offers once the figures start shipping out?

There's no penalty for pre-ordering from Sideshow, so a lot of collectors may just order something just for the sake of ordering it in hopes that it becomes "the next hot item". A sell out doesn't necessarily mean a successful collectible imo. By successful collectible i mean one that holds it's value on the secondary market.

It's pretty pittiful to see people here having to sell their exclusive SW figures for $35-$40

I think it's because people are just looking to make a quick buck and flooding the market. When you have forty thousand people putting the same item on ebay people can play the waiting game. That's a simple fact. The price something fetches on the secondary market does NOT determine a successful collectible. My Sauron statue does not do nearly as well on ebay as my orignal Balrog but Sauron is right there with him as my top fave pieces. Sauron also ranks ahead of the Cave Troll for that matter. So if price determines a successful collectible then there are a lot of not very successful items out there. A successful collectible is one that sells well and looks good upone being recieved IMO.

I believe it is a natural settling. Eventually the price for these will go up.

pixletwin said:
I believe it is a natural settling. Eventually the price for these will go up.

Right the prices on these things (collectibles) are like the stock market. They go up and they go down.

jlcmsu said:
I think it's because people are just looking to make a quick buck and flooding the market. When you have forty thousand people putting the same item on ebay people can play the waiting game. That's a simple fact. The price something fetches on the secondary market does NOT determine a successful collectible. My Sauron statue does not do nearly as well on ebay as my orignal Balrog but Sauron is right there with him as my top fave pieces. Sauron also ranks ahead of the Cave Troll for that matter. So if price determines a successful collectible then there are a lot of not very successful items out there. A successful collectible is one that sells well and looks good upone being recieved IMO.

I completely agree with the Sauron analogy (I love mine!) - BUT surely price is a measure of "a certain type" of success (see Doom :chew )

The Earl of Dunfield said:
I completely agree with the Sauron analogy (I love mine!) - BUT surely price is a measure of "a certain type" of success (see Doom :chew )

Price does but I don't think makes a collectible successful per say. Since that's all determined on the secondary level. I guess you could say there are levels of successful as far as how an item sells from a company and on the market afterwards.

Don't bring up Doom. I should have gotten one in 2005 when I was at SDCC.

I dont buy for the future I buy for now. Whats funny around time of shipping they all are higher then retail then they drop. What because the demand goes down. Those who really want them all have them.

Now if Sideshow has good showing at CIV this could change. A lot of SW fans don't goto SDCC so this will be a first time for a lot of these fans to see them in person. I know that I wouldn't have had the same reaction if I had not seen them at SDCC hell most likely I would not have any at all. Having 10s of thousands SW fans can't hurt.

I have yet to lose any money on any 12" figure I have sold, LOTR or Star Wars. :D

jlcmsu said:
Ok Superfan, I clearly stated my definition of using the term successful collectible. It was in the context of holding it's value, even holding it's retail value.

There are many definitions of what a "successful collectible" is, and I clearly said "IN TERMS OF HOLDING ITS VALUE".

nash said:
Ok Superfan, I clearly stated my definition of using the term successful collectible. It was in the context of holding it's value, even holding it's retail value.

There are many definitions of what a "successful collectible" is, and I clearly said "IN TERMS OF HOLDING ITS VALUE".

I was simply talking about price defining a successful collectible. I was simply giving MY opinion. Lighten the heck up Nash and don't take what I say so freaking personal. :rolleyes:

nash said:

I would say that yes a collectible that holds its value over time is succsessful. Most of them have lost value right now but does that make a very large % of them unsuccessful? I would say no, I would say that there is a natural drop with things of these nature, but over time you should start to see a steedy raise in value.

The question I pose to all of you do you want a tech stock, a fast rise then a huge crash?

And why do I all of a sudden want to go diving?

I think you'll find that the more time passes and people have cannibalized their sideshow stuff or lost it or whatever, the piece are still limited enough that in the long run the value will generally rise.

nash said:
...and I clearly said "IN TERMS OF HOLDING ITS VALUE".

Buh? You said something?!

d078.gif
....Underwater Alba butt....
d078.gif

mfoga said:
And why do I all of a sudden want to go diving?

:lol

I think pixletwin is right on. The true test for most of the collectibles we're discussing here will be in the years to come.

What I'm curious to see is whether or not the release of other, arguably more popular versions of a character (like a Bespin or Farmboy Luke) will effect the cost of an earlier release. Will Jedi Luke's demand go down once we get that sure-to-be-a-crowd-pleaser Bespin Fatigues Skywalker? Will Bespin Han's "value" plummet even more once ANH Han finally shows up?

The Boot said:
I think pixletwin is right on. The true test for most of the collectibles we're discussing here will be in the years to come.

Finally, someone who recognizes good logical thinking when they read it. :lecture :duff :lol

Back