Robes, capes and clothing... How do you flatten them?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeno Junkie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all! I set up a few figures last night like my HotToys ROTJ Luke and ANH Vader. The hooded robe on Luke and Vader’s cape need flattening. I was wondering how everyone here goes about it? I’ve seen in passing a few people mention it but I never really paid enough attention to see what methods everyone used. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
And may the force be with you!

For Luke some board members soaked/washed the cloak in warm water with a bit of soap to remove excess dye, and after it dried it was way more smooth and easy to work with. I also know there are those who use an iron to lightly steam the robe, leaving a layer of cloth as protection. Have not tried the methods myself so I cannot guarantee their effectiveness, but just wanted to get the ball rolling.

I used this type of steamer on the Iron Studios Darth Vader capes, did wonders with minimal work.

steamer.jpg

By flattening, do you mean removing creases?

Yes.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I’ll see what I can do as far as getting a small steamer I guess. I’d also like to flatten out some of my HotToys Kylo Ren robes.

Water treating (dipping in water) and ironing usually does the trick as well. Still, depending on material used from a figure to another, you'll find yourself involved in a longer project than you'd have expected at first.

Back