Asmus Toys Hobbit/ LOTR figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This past year I started to collect Asmus Hobbit/LOTR figures, Ive manage to acquire all of the figures except the Ringwraith, I thing In my opinion the Hobbit figures are better. I started rating my figure with a 5 star system, with 5 being the highest. I'm going to share my ratings with you all and see if you agree. Ive considered likeness, tailoring and accessories.

5 ***** figures
Thranduil
Gandalf the grey
Gimli
Aragorn 1st version
Grishnakh
Bilbo

4**** figures
Mouth of Sauron
Morgul Lord
Boromir
Sauramon
Legolas
Sam

3*** Figures
Frodo (none painted figure )
Merry
Pippen
Tauriel
Bard

2** Figures
Ringwraith
Eowyn
Gandalf the white
Guritz

Cant believe you would put Sam above the other Hobbits. He is one of my least favorites of their line.

I definitely have different opinions. I like Eowyn more (like 3 stars) and Gandalf the Grey less (also 3 instead of 5) for example.

Mileage may vary I guess.

Don't get me wrong he's an exigent figure. I originally had him as a 5star but changed him last minute due to the lake of detail put into the clothing. I didn't like the spandex pants that always ride up the leg when he's on the horse.

Nice list. Curiosity, what kept MoS from being 5 star in your opinion? I find that to be one of the best LOTR figures available.

I agree that Sam is the best of the Hobbits. I have the Slim version and I was surprised that the pictures of him on the Asmus product page make the likeness look terrible. I was pleasantly flabbergasted at the likeness when I received him yesterday.

Sam > Frodo > Merry > ...... > ....... > Pippin.

Frodo IMO is the best of the hobbitses. Heck, I'd give Frodo the #2 spot after Gimli in best likeness in my fellowship.

I think all of Asmus' tailoring and accessories are outstanding, no issues there. Heres my list, based on likeness to the movie character only:

Gimli 5 - Love
Frodo V1 Slim 4 - Wish he had rooted hair
Legolas 4 - if he didn't have that that hair, he would be a 5
Boromir 4 - Eye paint isn’t as good as the rest of my asmus figures. Also the paint near his chin is weak too
Aragorn Slim 4- My favorite character from the movies, but something in his sculpt throws me off, maybe the stache being too dark?
Sam Slim 3.5 - Wrong eye color, blue should be brown. If you take one step back and aren’t inspecting, he’s easily a 4. They captured sam very well but the eyes being blue bugs me.
Pippin Slim 3 - strongly dislike that he's smiling, apart from that and his hair he’s great.
Merry Slim 2 - I don't see Dominic Monaghan at all. I was disappointed with how Merry came out.

Looking forward to the new GTG, hopefully another 5.

Lastly, wb Gothmog?!?

Let's play, consider all of your criterion: likeness, tailoring and accessories. (note that I own all figures of this line except Tauriel, too bad in my opinion) :)

Five stars:
Gimli
Boromir
Frodo slim
Grishnakh
Saruman

4 stars:
Aragorn slim (not 5 because of the likeness a bit off)
Pippin (really like the smiling face)
Sam slim (likeness better with an enlarged face)
Bilbo
Legolas (would be 5 with rooted hair)
Thranduil (not 5 because of the likeness a bit off)
Gandalf the Grey
Guritz
Witch king

3 stars
Gothmog
Nazgul and steed (need better clothing)
MOS (great face but need way better clothing)
Merry slim (outstanding tailoring but terrible likeness)
Bard

2 stars
Gandalf the White (tailoring ok but terrible face)
Eowyn (but can be way better with a bit of work)

:)

I actually like the Frodo figure unfortunately after two purchases from different vendors I have Ringwraith Frodo with the unpainted face and greenish eyes

Frodo IMO is the best of the hobbitses. Heck, I'd give Frodo the #2 spot after Gimli in best likeness in my fellowship.

I think all of Asmus' tailoring and accessories are outstanding, no issues there. Heres my list, based on likeness to the movie character only:

Gimli 5 - Love
Frodo V1 Slim 4 - Wish he had rooted hair
Legolas 4 - if he didn't have that that hair, he would be a 5
Boromir 4 - Eye paint isn’t as good as the rest of my asmus figures. Also the paint near his chin is weak too
Aragorn Slim 4- My favorite character from the movies, but something in his sculpt throws me off, maybe the stache being too dark?
Sam Slim 3.5 - Wrong eye color, blue should be brown. If you take one step back and aren’t inspecting, he’s easily a 4. They captured sam very well but the eyes being blue bugs me.
Pippin Slim 3 - strongly dislike that he's smiling, apart from that and his hair he’s great.
Merry Slim 2 - I don't see Dominic Monaghan at all. I was disappointed with how Merry came out.

Looking forward to the new GTG, hopefully another 5.

Lastly, wb Gothmog?!?

Hello

I just got the Boromir one. Pretty nice one, but also my first one.

Only thing I wonder. Is there any possibility to get spares?. The horn of Gondor is pretty nice but seems delicate in the area where the rope is hold, and I manipulate the figure a lot in other to make photoshoots. Also, the shield strap. I am afraid I may break something eventually and go in panic mode, lol

Welcome to the Freak Show! :duff

There are a number of online shops dedicated to selling loose parts from boxed figure sets. "Toy Anxiety" is one example. They post in the "Dealers" section almost on a daily basis, announcing the figures that they have broken down. Just keep an eye out for their announcements on Asmus figures.

Back