Best Vader helmet for a custom 1/6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Vicious

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello guys and girls,

I'm starting on my own custom Darth Vader; I just bought the Ultimate Villain set to start with. But does anyone have some suggestions which is the best helmet and facemask to use?
I was thinking of mutilating a Kotobukiya ROTS Vader.. :emperor
And has anyone ever tried the 12" Vader from Applause. I never saw that one in person, but the helmet looked quite good in pictures I found..

Thanks!

Or if you don't feel like clicking the link, get yourself one of them fine-ass Kaiyodo Vader kits. Beware of re-hashes and the crouching Screamin' kit.

Customikey said:
Or if you don't feel like clicking the link, get yourself one of them fine-ass Kaiyodo Vader kits. Beware of re-hashes and the crouching Screamin' kit.

Mikey's right. Make sure that they are original and not a recast from overseas. The screamin/kaiyodo 1/6 is the way to go.

Darthrazz said:
Mikey's right. Make sure that they are original and not a recast from overseas. The screamin/kaiyodo 1/6 is the way to go.

Ditto... I got stuck with the recast and it's useless.

And Mikey--what's up with the no love :fart steering someone away from my beloved Vader/Chewie custom thread (Or if you don't feel like clicking the link)?

CLICK ON THE LINK!

CLICK ON THE LINK!

And Mikey--- I feel an almighty smiting coming on...

Wait for it...

Almost there...

Patience is a virtue...

Revenge is a dish best served co---- :cut

Ah ha!:medic

That'll learn ya!

The Koto Vader is 1/7, so it will be too small to truly be in scale (though it will make a 12 inch Vader). Better to tear up a Kaiyodo kit, or the Screamin' issue. Beware of re-casts; they are invariably much smaller than original size. Of course, you seem to have found a solution on your own..PS

Thanks guys! And don't worry DarthNeil; I've clicked the link :D

Has anyone ever used the 12" Vader that Applause sold some years agoin making a custom Vader?

I added some pics..

Last edited:
Customikey said:
No offence intended, DarthNeil. Can't smite me, dude. Thy mortal hands canst not reach Olympus. :cool:

j/k

I shall be Prometheus and breath life into clay... Give fire to man... Make a &*$*$*&^$^ custom Chewie...

I just hope that you don't chain me to a mountain and send an eagle to eat out my liver----- wait a second... I'm a fan of Philly.

E

A
G
L
E
S
EAGLES! EAGLES! EAGLES!

How's that for a transition from Greek mythology to the sport that Jimmy the Greek was fired from covering?:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 Applause figures present an interesting problem. One is too small, the other slightly too big. I experimented with the large figure when I was beginning my custom, and found that the only useable parts were the shoulder bells. Admittedly, I have terrifyingly high standards where Vader is concerned, but the pose and lack of symmetry were killers for me. Also, the vinyl was of inconsistent thickness. Finally, I got frustrated enough to sculpt and fabricate my own pieces, as well as hunt down a spare Kaiyodo kit to bash. The results speak for themselves...PS

By the way, did you know that Philly sports fans are the most disliked in the country?Sad, but true...

wax murderer said:
By the way, did you know that Philly sports fans are the most disliked in the country?Sad, but true...

That's OK... I'm in another country.:angrycanu :D

The vinyl kit produced by ERTL a few years ago has a great headsculpt . The helmet is particularly good and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg .

Lord Vicious,

contact wax murderer and get a copy of his vader helmet. you won't be sorry. it's awesome.

DarthNeil said:
That's OK... I'm in another country.:angrycanu :D

Hey, don't worry, you have Philly muscle backing you up.

By the way, I always thought the helmet that came with the 13" talking Vader/Ultimate Villain Vader was pretty good. It breaks down into 3 pieces that are movie accurate with a little customization.

The only problem I have ever run into with making a movie Vader is finding a body for the figure that is big enough. David Prowse is like 6'8" so with the helmet and everything the you are looking at a character that is almost 7 feet tall.

The best body I could find that did not lack in the articulation department is the 12 1/2" USC football players from Dragon Models. They have a totally unique body with better muscle tone than most 1/6 figures.

Anyway, here's to the Eagles having a good draft day on Saturday.

I'm about to start a Vader custom using the Hasbro Electronic figure as a starting point . Can anyone give me a run down on what is good , bad and ugly about this figure ? ( I'm waiting delivery and I've never actually had one in hand .) Sorry about hijacking the thread !:emperor

Yeah the HAsbro version is good - not great ( i loved it when it first came out ) - its good enough for me to ignore it's misgivings and pose in a cabinet with my SS figures and still looks fine - however it does have a dogs face which can be disguised in some light - the hands are huge - and the shoulder pauldrons should be plastic

My custom started as an electronic Vader. The gloves SUCK, the articulation is limited, the shoulder armor is so-so(the 'Ultimate Villian' armor is better) and the mask and neck brace are somewhat distorted(this is what led me to re-sculpting it).The body suit is not bad, though again the 'UV' suit is better fabric and fit. The cape and robe are pretty cheap, but I s'pose that this is to be expected from a domestic mass-produced figure. I would call it a good starting point for a custom, though it need a bit of work to really shine...PS

The best one by far is the kaiyodo helmet, it will take a hasbro burnt anakin or Seb Shaw sculpt, or alternately with some work a kotobukiya ROTS helmet can be hollowed and happily take reveal bits and a burnt anakin head.try this link, fdor more vaders ive built https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9665
da7f9e68.jpg
[/IMG]
29e58589.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF0086-2.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF0089-1.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCF0091-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Back