PDA

View Full Version : Asmus Toys - Azog the Defilier 1/6

Bucky Underbelly
08-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Since work on him has been officially confirmed, I suppose this big nasty should have his own thread now ...

We need to find a fight for Thorin.

and check out that beastly butt

Bucky Underbelly
08-06-2018, 10:25 AM
What kind of accessories and details are you hoping for?

Will they do his look from the first two movies? Or his armored Five Armies outfit? Regular arm? Hook arm? Sword arm? And would they ever consider making his white warg mount?

(I asked in the other thread and Asmus indicated they were planning to go with seamless arms and legs (like the HT Hulk or the 3Z Daryl/Merle/Michonne figures).)

Let the speculation begin!

Gipetto0812
08-06-2018, 11:52 AM
very awesome!

Here's an idea that could allow for both regular ans hook arm. They can do like HT has done for the most recent Thor figure and make the shoulder joint a ball&socket joint so that you can swap out the arm easily.

Bucky Underbelly
08-06-2018, 04:34 PM
How big is Azog supposed to be? Something like 7 feet? Because I could easily see Asmus being able to re-use a lot of the body components they develop for Azog for Lurtz or other Uruk-Hai. Or maybe even Bolg.

zombieshane
08-06-2018, 08:28 PM
So glad this figure is finally happening, didn’t think we were gonna get him for a long time.

Snakey Jones
08-06-2018, 09:09 PM
What kind of accessories and details are you hoping for?

Will they do his look from the first two movies? Or his armored Five Armies outfit?

I'm hoping Asmus will weigh in on which outfit they're going for (hint hint, c'mon guys). My gut tells me it'll be the look from the first two films, which is great; but i also love his armored look and if that's not the look they're going for then maybe releasing the armor as an accessorie set in the future would also be nice. In a perfect world though this figure would come with both outfits, but i don't see that happening.

Sildedaspo
08-06-2018, 09:45 PM
I honestly think that making an armored version would save them the hassle of having to developed a seamless body. I'm not sure which direction would prove more cost efficient for Asmus but I'm honestly fine with any version so long as it has the claw/sword limb.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bucky Underbelly
08-08-2018, 01:12 AM
Things I'm hoping for:

-switch-out arms with hook (preferably metal) and original hand
-snarling or roaring expression
-mace

Things that would be super cool, but doubt they'll do:

-ice base
-switch-out BOFA sword arm
-BOFA armor
-stone on chain weapon from last battle
-decapitated head of Thror (from flashback)
-white warg

Snakey Jones
08-08-2018, 02:08 AM
I think the inclusion of BOFA related accessories depends on how far along they are with the figure. If what was teased in that picture with Thorin is an actual prototype then it might be to late to go back and add BOFA stuff like his armor and sword arm. Perhaps in the future, if sales warrant it; we might get an accessory pack or a "BOFA version" of Azog.

That being; said i did ask them on facebook if they'll include his armor from the last film as extra accessories and they replied back that they'll pass the sugestion on to their team, so maybe there's hope.

Khev
08-08-2018, 09:01 AM

And that's in my brain now, thanks. ;)

Bucky Underbelly
08-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Azog did not skip glute day at the gym.

Kalkylen
08-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Found these on Instagram (courtesy of Hossein Diba). Not sure how up to date the sculpt is but looks good so far if still relevant!

Bucky Underbelly
08-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Looks good! Really hoping they include the detail that his loincloth seems to be leather made from the faces of slain dwarves. Such a creepy detail.

FlyAndFight
08-08-2018, 01:37 PM
I never noticed that before. Definitely creepy! :horror

Kalkylen
08-08-2018, 01:46 PM
I loved the design of Azog so much. Love those little details! Really wish he wasn't CGI but I thought he was pretty well executed considering.

zombieshane
08-08-2018, 02:03 PM
I wish he was practical, I think they could have pulled it off.

Kalkylen
08-08-2018, 11:22 PM
I wish he was practical, I think they could have pulled it off.

Sadly they couldn't settle on a design until the very end of production. I'm pretty sure the original Bolg and Yazneg costumes were for Azog at first but everything ended up being moved around and they went with motion capture last minute.

Jrobertson
08-09-2018, 09:52 AM
I would love if this came with his white warg.

Bucky Underbelly
08-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Sadly they couldn't settle on a design until the very end of production. I'm pretty sure the original Bolg and Yazneg costumes were for Azog at first but everything ended up being moved around and they went with motion capture last minute.

Yeah, I believe they were so crunched for time that they ended up having to shoot with Del Toro's character designs practically on set and later Jackson overlaid his designs digitally in post.

A fair number of my disappointments with the Hobbit trilogy seem to stem from the fact that the pre-production timeline was all messed up. Del Toro was on the movie for years, but the rights were tangled up between multiple studios so they couldn't start filming. Finally, Del Toro just couldn't wait any longer for a green light and he had to leave. Then suddenly the studios got their acts together and greenlit the whole thing. But they didn't have a director. Jackson didn't want to do it, but they were out of time. So he signed on with little prep and no real time to change up the script or designs to his liking. (They're both a-list filmmakers, but they have very different aesthetics. True, Jackson was exec producing, but as I understand it, he was letting Del Toro make the movie he wanted to make. Which was pretty different from the movie he would want to make.) So in the end it ended up being kind of a hodge-podge.

If I could visit the multi-verse, I'd love to see the movies Del Toro intended to make. I'd also love to see the movies Jackson would have made if given adequate prep time.

Kalkylen
08-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Yeah it was a shame the production was so troubled as there was a lot of great stuff in the movies over all but some bad decisions and choices. I love the Maple Films edit and watch that far more than I would ever watch the official versions nowadays!

Sassafras
08-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I believe they were so crunched for time that they ended up having to shoot with Del Toro's character designs practically on set and later Jackson overlaid his designs digitally in post.

A fair number of my disappointments with the Hobbit trilogy seem to stem from the fact that the pre-production timeline was all messed up. Del Toro was on the movie for years, but the rights were tangled up between multiple studios so they couldn't start filming. Finally, Del Toro just couldn't wait any longer for a green light and he had to leave. Then suddenly the studios got their acts together and greenlit the whole thing. But they didn't have a director. Jackson didn't want to do it, but they were out of time. So he signed on with little prep and no real time to change up the script or designs to his liking. (They're both a-list filmmakers, but they have very different aesthetics. True, Jackson was exec producing, but as I understand it, he was letting Del Toro make the movie he wanted to make. Which was pretty different from the movie he would want to make.) So in the end it ended up being kind of a hodge-podge.

If I could visit the multi-verse, I'd love to see the movies Del Toro intended to make. I'd also love to see the movies Jackson would have made if given adequate prep time.

And budget IMO. Not saying throwing money at anything solves anything. But there's stuff that could have been a lot more practical sets etc. and Richard Taylor talked about the costs. But, overall for me, am impressed with the aesthetics and staggering amount of work that went into these films. Bag End and Mirkwood, Erebor and Laketown, Ravenhill -plus a stellar cast.

Azog might be the first time I go out for a baddie, tho I was really tempted by Nazgul and MOS.

matt3223
08-13-2018, 06:25 AM
I feel like this is going to become the base body for lurtz and other uruk hai

Snakey Jones
08-15-2018, 02:19 AM
Asmus posted on facebook they'll be at Taipei comic con this Thursday with a few never seen before prototypes. Hoping one of those is Azog, but if we do see Azog this year at all it'll probaby be at Shanghai comic con this October.

Wor-Gar
08-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Asmus posted on facebook they'll be at Taipei comic con this Thursday with a few never seen before prototypes.

:yess:

Likely Arwen is one of them. Bilbo is probably the other.

Azog looks too far away, all they have is that render.

zombieshane
08-15-2018, 04:16 PM

But wasn’t he briefly teased in one of the promotional shots of Thorin?

Bucky Underbelly
08-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Oooh! Yeah, it feels like Arwen and Bilbo would be the logical choices. But it'd be cool to see some updates on Eomer, too. As for Azog, they've showed the body render, but who knows if that's all they've got at this point. They might be further along. (Fingers crossed!)

It would also be great to be totally surprised by a character we didn't know was coming.

Wor-Gar
08-15-2018, 06:29 PM
But wasn’t he briefly teased in one of the promotional shots of Thorin?

That looked like an animation blurred into the picture, not an actual figure.

hoodonit00
08-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Speaking for myself but I will be disappointed if we see Azog before Lurtz.

Bucky Underbelly
08-15-2018, 06:44 PM
I'd prefer to see Lurtz first, too. But I'm betting we'll see Azog go up for order pretty close to Thorin since they'll likely help each other's sales.

SunrayTheWingman
08-16-2018, 03:01 AM

Did someone at asmus tell you that? How do you know?

FlyAndFight
08-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Speaking for myself but I will be disappointed if we see Azog before Lurtz.

I initially thought the same but let's let them iron out all possible bugs with an Azog figure before tackling Lurtz. Any issues with Azog can be addressed before getting Lurtz or any other Uruk-Hai figure.

hoodonit00
08-16-2018, 08:24 AM
I initially thought the same but let's let them iron out all possible bugs with an Azog figure before tackling Lurtz. Any issues with Azog can be addressed before getting Lurtz or any other Uruk-Hai figure.

Hmm, pretty good idea to be honest.

Bucky Underbelly
08-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Asmus posted on facebook they'll be at Taipei comic con this Thursday with a few never seen before prototypes. Hoping one of those is Azog, but if we do see Azog this year at all it'll probaby be at Shanghai comic con this October.

Was that this Thursday (today) or next? Would love to know what they've got on display. Googled it but I'm not seeing anything ...

Snakey Jones
08-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Was that this Thursday (today) or next? Would love to know what they've got on display. Googled it but I'm not seeing anything ...

https://i.imgur.com/vmTeAcw.png

It's from the 16-20, hopefully over the next couple of days Asmus posts pictures on their Facebook page, as they've done with previous conventions they've exhibited at.

YC.Chen
05-23-2019, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure if it's okay to post it here, but here's a sneak peak of Azog from Asmus Toys during the interview this morning.

Bucky Underbelly
05-23-2019, 11:27 PM
Whoa. He's a big boy!

Kalkylen
05-24-2019, 01:42 AM
Looking great so far!! Will he come with the body armour he wears in BOTFA?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Johnny Utah
05-24-2019, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure if it's okay to post it here, but here's a sneak peak of Azog from Asmus Toys during the interview this morning.

Where is the interview?

Thainitty
05-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Is it going to be a figure or a statue?

superdoug
05-24-2019, 07:30 PM
Yes!!!

Wor-Gar
05-24-2019, 07:38 PM

I'm not certain what this means.

YC.Chen
05-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Where is the interview?

It's a private interview, focus more on the technical stuff, so this is the only photo that hasn't seen in elsewhere.

Sassafras
05-25-2019, 08:26 AM

So now I need a battle-Thorin to go with + ice diorama stand.:monkey3

Wor-Gar
05-25-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure how that sculpture translates into a 1/6 body or figure.

Perhaps Asmus is moving into statues.

Sassafras
05-25-2019, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure how that sculpture translates into a 1/6 body or figure.

Perhaps Asmus is moving into statues.

Maybe that's part of the mold process - then a cast gets made and at some point u'd have to figure where the joints are gonna be?:dunno

Bucky Underbelly
05-25-2019, 09:19 AM
I seem to recall Asmus noting at one point that they were planning to construct Azog much like Hot Toys does their Hulk figures. So that may mean sculpted vinyl arm sleeves and torsos? So the shoulder and wrist joints would be visible, but others would be hidden. He's probably going to have some articulation limitations, but that's okay with me because he'll have great shelf presence.

YC.Chen
07-25-2019, 11:51 PM

Apparently they made him statue and it ain't 1/6 either.

Kalkylen
07-26-2019, 12:08 AM

Apparently they made him statue and it ain't 1/6 either.Looks like the same sculpt you posted a screenshot of a while ago. Didn't think Asmus had the rights to statues.

CrankbaitJon
07-26-2019, 05:27 AM
Mr. Asmus, can you please chime in if possible if this is indeed an Asmus prototype and if it is indeed 1/4. It's kind of strange to have a 1/4 when the rest of the characters are 1/6.

Travis Baumann
07-26-2019, 09:34 AM
This is definitely a 1/4 statue and was shown in the Sideshow booth, not with their 1/6th scale stuff at Diamond Select.

It is definitely cool but I don't do statues or any scale but 1/6th so still hoping for him in the original lineup/plan.

YC.Chen
07-26-2019, 10:09 AM
Mr. Asmus, can you please chime in if possible if this is indeed an Asmus prototype and if it is indeed 1/4. It's kind of strange to have a 1/4 when the rest of the characters are 1/6.

There's a tiny Asmus logo on the bottom right and they've confirmed it's their product on their Instagram.

hoodonit00
07-26-2019, 10:20 AM
There's a tiny Asmus logo on the bottom right and they've confirmed it's their product on their Instagram.

I don't think that's the question. I think collectors are wondering if they are still making a 1/6th version of Azog.

Kalkylen
07-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Looks cool and all but isn't there a plethora of Azog statues already? Quit stalling and give us a 1/6th figure already ;)

Wor-Gar
07-26-2019, 10:26 AM
I thought in that picture with all the figures Asmus posted awhile back that Azog looked like a statue.

Wor-Gar
07-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Azog is as hard or harder than Gollum -- a big mostly naked giant.

Its either going to be a very limited articulated and hollow toy like HT Hulk... or a figure plagued with cut-joints.

At least Lurtz has enough clothing to cover a good portion of those unsightly joints. Hint, hint, Asmus.

Asmus
07-30-2019, 11:18 PM
This is a quarter scale statue, but also has limited articulation.
So many of you guys are asking for 1/6, but truth is Hobbits line is always harder to sell for our 1/6 collection so we've been hesitant.
The statue/figure is in 1/4 because we want to branch into more diverse scale and collectors but we will take more thoughts into the 1/6 too.

Bucky Underbelly
07-31-2019, 05:58 AM
This is a quarter scale statue, but also has limited articulation.
So many of you guys are asking for 1/6, but truth is Hobbits line is always harder to sell for our 1/6 collection so we've been hesitant.
The statue/figure is in 1/4 because we want to branch into more diverse scale and collectors but we will take more thoughts into the 1/6 too.

Well, that's disappointing. Good news for those who collect 1/4 scale, though. Sadly, I ran out of room for statues years ago ...

Neko
07-31-2019, 06:02 AM
Too bad, I only collect 1/6 scales figures, I'm not interested in a 1/4 scale statue...
:(

ImABarRoomHero
07-31-2019, 06:11 AM
Also to be fair this belongs over in the "Middle-Earth/Hobbit/LotR-Statues, Props, etc." page.

scumonkey
07-31-2019, 06:37 AM
Not remotely interested in 1/4 scale, or statues (with or without movement)...Not for me.

Wor-Gar
07-31-2019, 03:10 PM
Also to be fair this belongs over in the "Middle-Earth/Hobbit/LotR-Statues, Props, etc." page.

Now it does, yes...

JonEl
07-31-2019, 06:54 PM
No interest in 1/4, only 1/6 figures. Would love a figure (not a statue) in 1/6.

Bucky Underbelly
07-31-2019, 08:04 PM
This thread has made me sad.

:(

denrep-lilium
08-01-2019, 03:59 AM
So, this thread should be Azog 1/4?