NEW STAR WARS PFs at SDCC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myc

Super Freak
Reaction score
giphy.gif

couldnt help it... pretty disappointed from a collector's stand point.

I think the reason is mainly slow sells.. and I think its not even that there are no Star Wars buyers out there.. its more the poor design choice from Sideshow (specially when it comes to posing their statues) .. and nothing new or innovated takes on characters that are still very high favorites in the fan base..

well there should be always next year :D

Last edited:
What is that? Looks like unmasked Vader? It’s in 1/6 case, but looks like a PF.
44b4ec1039eb1b06adafa077f3408d3b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It pretty much is all their fault.

Their poses are crap, their human face models are crap (besides a few here and there) and they continue to ignore characters the fans want. No one asked for a 3rd Boba Fett or now a 3rd Darth Vader. People have been asking for Lando, Qui Gon, EP3 Obi-Wan, Tie Pilot and many others. A few redos like Anakin Skywalker, Count Dooku, Clone Trooper etc would be acceptable as well.

And when they do give us the characters we've been asking for (Bespin Luke, new Han Solo), they look like garbage. I have no interest in a Han Solo that doesn't resemble Harrison Ford or a tap dancing Bespin Luke. I'm not paying $500+ for crap and those 2 pieces are crap. Who approves these things?

I could forgive them introducing a RO Darth Vader (its Vader and is a money maker), if it actually was a RO Vader, the base is off, the pose is silly and seems to be based more off ROTS Vader than anything. Why would people purchase this when the far superior Iron Studios Vader is out there? Not to mention they just raised the price for their ROTJ Vader and that is still sitting in their warehouse.

Besides Leia, I don't have any interest in anything Sideshow is doing with Star Wars right now, between their struggles here and their awful "Sideshow inspired" comic statues and constant rehashes in those lines, my money will be going elsewhere like Iron Studios, Prime 1 and Hot Toys.

They need to get their act together.

Yup the pose for Bespin Luke is horrendous. It’s my favorite costume of his and I didn’t pre order.

I do think Obi Wan looks great but the others are a pass.

They keep putting out lackluster product while continuously jacking up the prices, to pretty absurd levels in many cases. The prices on all Star Wars collectibles are getting out of hand, but the value proposition has been trending downward on Sideshow's products for a while, it seems: Boring or outright bad poses. Cutting corners with materials and overall quality. Poor likenesses. Rehashing the same characters over and over again. And then top it all off by charging ever higher prices. Ugh.

They can probably get away with peddling their overpriced, mediocre products right now because the American economy is so strong, but if/when that changes, I think they are going to have a rude awakening.

Honestly, I think they need to start by firing some people in their creative and marketing departments. They don't seem to have any sense for what elements should be combined to create a highly desirable statue. They also need to find some more sculpting talent that is capable of doing better character likenesses.

I honestly question whether their current creative people are truly passionate about the subject material, or if they are just going through the motions to keep product on the conveyor belt...

SS should dare to take a chance, not just playing safe. It`s 3 years (I think) since the PF Vader and SDCC opens, so the big reveal is a new Vader. There are plenty of smaller characters to choose from, wich are sought after. I am longing for a TIE and Royal guard PF. Maybe not a quick sellout, but it will clearly get more people to check out SS, more often when they offer some variation.

Check out Blitzway, they are offering lesser recycled characters. They are a surprise. SS on the other hand is getting boring. Playing safe leads to a slow burn out.

On the other hand, now I can concentrate on getting awesome statues from other companies.

So...was anything revealed or hinted at during the collectible panel?

My money has gone to XM and IS for Star Wars in the last few years. There statues leave SS in the dust.
So agree with everyone on here. SS need better designers and more variety in characters.

no love for starwars pfs. thanks for saving my wallet :) now, off to hot toys. need me some variety.

Honestly, I think they need to start by firing some people in their creative and marketing departments. They don't seem to have any sense for what elements should be combined to create a highly desirable statue. They also need to find some more sculpting talent that is capable of doing better character likenesses.

I honestly question whether their current creative people are truly passionate about the subject material, or if they are just going through the motions to keep product on the conveyor belt...

truer words have never been spoken here.

I totally agree. I want statues but not anything they have been putting out lately.

Current Sideshow Star Wars is like current Disney Star Wars, you have the wrong people in charge of decision making and producing.

Very true. There is no single PF they released in my OT Imperial collecting focus that I'd be interested in for years already. Got the old Stormtrooper PF because needed to have a Stormie in 1/4, but the new tank top (Han) Stormie PF is hilarious. The Scout PF is pooping in the woods, the Snowtrooper PF has an unnatural pose, the Sandie looks bland and thin, the only cool one is the Scout on Speederbike, but alas too big for my place. Opera Vader PF and the new football Vader are not for me either. I can save my money for HT and other things

i don't think it's all because of sideshow.. maybe Disney has something to do with this. they're being conservative on their SW license

Back