Statue Does anyone know how to repair a polystone statue? Sideshow Deathwing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partarausku

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to properly repair a polystone statue and/or does some companies offer repair services for this kind of things?
My issue is that as i ordered a Sideshow Deathwing statue, it was broken during shipping and a piece of it's wing was snapped. The piece fits in perfectly, but it will leave a "crack" as shown in the attachment.

I received a 350 euros refund from the seller so repair costs would be covered if i can find a professional. But if anyone knows how to fix polystone, any tips/guides are more than appreciated! What kind of materials would you use to fix such an issue, i asked Sideshow customer support previously and they suggested Zap-a gap glue to attach the wing, but could not really help with the crack :(

Attachments

• br2J9xD.jpg
    br2J9xD.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 229
Yea, I think that is the biggest part of the problem.

While attaching / the crack might be easy to fix, I am guess you would be able to see the seam / repairs once light hits it from behind.

Yea, that orange part isn't polystone. You would need to paint on some kind of vein structure to cover those, it won't look right just gluing them.

Oh yeah you are right, it is not actually resin. The problem is exacly as you said that the light coming from different directions will show the seams.

Do you have any experience on repairing this kind of an issue? I heard that some epoxy glue + paint would do the trick but that could get a bit messy... Would love to have it as close to the original condition as possible :)

I do have ~100 different paints from a while back when i painted warhammer figurines, but i'm not an expert in choosing/mixing the right colours i'm affraid

Polystone is a mixture of sand and resin. The clear stuff is generally straight resin or mostly all resin without the sand. Fixing a crack in clear resin is difficult you would have to heat it up in order for the seam to not be as visible. Barring that you can try a clear adhesive, apoxy sculpt and sculpy would leave a visible seam.

Try Statue Forum sculpting section. Put where you are located and looking to get a repair. this is not an easy repair.

Best you can hope for is airbrush a close color over the repaired areas. Maybe camouflage it a bit with the darker color. It won't be translucent any more in that small area.

Best you can hope for is airbrush a close color over the repaired areas. Maybe camouflage it a bit with the darker color. It won't be translucent any more in that small area.

Yes, that is the biggest problem. I suggested trying to make it look natural with arteries/veins, but it will be tricky to get right.

Back