General Oldschool Star Trek thread (no JJ or Discovery)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIDDICK

Super Freak
Reaction score
Re-watching TOS made me realise how great it is.
Re-watching DS9 made me realise how great it was in a different way... 'till that last season.
It's really hard to choose between TOS, TNG and DS9 for me.
Good thing Voyager was such a mess that I can't take it into consideration, even tho it was fun and had its moments... 'till that last freakin' season.

It's funny, I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but I've only ever watched TOS and the movies...
Never had any interest in TNG or the other series. It's only with Discovery that I've found a new Star Trek series to follow.

But yeah, TOS is really quite brilliant.

For me it's no question that TNG is one of the best series of any kind of show bar none. The writing, acting, everything was top notch. Their movies sadly were mediocre at best but the show was incredible.

TOS is always number 1 in my book. Loved TNG as well. DS9 was enjoyable while it was ( until season 7 ), but I don't like it as much on re-watch. I actually enjoyed Voyager just due to being back on a starship instead of a space station.

It took a while for me to get warmed up to TNG, but I joined in full time while they were in their 5th season. I got caught up pretty quick since my local station was showing older seasons at 6 every night and the new one on friday nite at 10. It did start off kinda shaky but I agree, TNG did get really good and had some super episodes.

I liked DS9 until the Maquis and dominion war with the founders stuff which just muddled it, think I stopped watching around the time Dax died or so but I think I did see the final episode once.

Gave Voyager a good run but even Jeri Ryan couldn't hold my attention after a season or two.

TOS will always be my fave. Yes it can be cheesy and campy at times, but again, with what thye had to work with, they really did make a great show out of it. Overall I think TOS and TNG are the two which have the most 'replay' value, whereas DS9 and Voyager do not.

You mean you never tried to watch the other ones or just couldn't get into them?

Never tried to watch.
TNG came out at a time when I had zero interest in TV shows, and now I have a feeling all of those shows will look terribly dated without the comforting tint of nostalgia.

I love TOS and TOS movies..

I loath TNG... I hate every freaking character on that show. The movies are an embarrassment to everything Sci Fi.

TNG has ruined me from trying any other Star Trek show.. Came close to giving ST: Enterprise a shot but I hear season 1 is pretty bad and that they cancelled it just as it was getting good.

Love that TOS though :)

I should say that when I say "Love TOS" it means I have watched all the episodes at least once but I am by no means an Expert. I know that I love the cast and I except for The Motion Picture, I like all the movies (I can even find enjoyment out of part 5 :lol ) I freaking love The USS Enterprise :)

I have tried watching TNG several times.. Just cant get into the cast.. Have watched two or three of the movies and find them just as bad because of the cast.

Picard is OK I guess.

Big fan of TOS, watched in the early 70's. Never had any interest in any of the other Star Trek options.

Never tried to watch. TNG came out at a time when I had zero interest in TV shows, and now I have a feeling all of those shows will look terribly dated without the comforting tint of nostalgia.
The first two seasons of TNG are def much harder to watch without them nostalgia glasses. But they're very interesting to watch in retrospect because it was crazy rich man Roddenberry's vision of the future, and a lot of fighting was goin' on behind the scenes. :D

I loath TNG... I hate every freaking character on that show.
The movies are an embarrassment to everything Sci Fi.
TNG has ruined me from trying any other Star Trek show.
I suggest to try DS9 then.
It's was Trek's attempt to make a more grounded space opera rather than a sci-fi adventure.
It has some of my most beloved Trek characters played by some of the best Trek actors.

I should say that when I say "Love TOS" it means I have watched all the episodes at least once but I am by no means an Expert. I know that I love the cast and I except for The Motion Picture, I like all the movies (I can even find enjoyment out of part 5 :lol ) I freaking love The USS Enterprise :)

I have tried watching TNG several times.. Just cant get into the cast.. Have watched two or three of the movies and find them just as bad because of the cast.

Picard is OK I guess.

Yeah TMP was kinda hard to watch, along with V, those are the least enjoyable. WOK and III were the best. VI is next best imho.

For the TNG movies, the only one which is quasi decent was First Contact. Generations was silly and the 3rd one was just bad. Nemesis had moments but you are right as there isn't a 'good' TNG movie vs. TOS movies.

Star Trek First Contact is what really made me a Trek fan back in 96 :dunno I'd have to watch the Red Letter Media review to see why it's actually crap, I can't remember the reasons.

I also love Generations - the only RLM slag of that film that I can remember right now is right at the end where Picard and Riker are rummaging through the wreckage of the Enterprise looking for Picard's family album - Picard picks up what looks like a piece of junk and tosses it aside - turns out that piece of junk was a priceless archaeological artifact from an episode of the show that he should have known the significance of. So there was that bit of inattention to past Trek canon.

Insurrection has some good moments but is overall a bit crap. Nemesis pretty much the same.

My ranking of original crew movies

II:TWOK
VI:TUC
IV:TVH
III:TSFS
I:TMP
V:TFF

As far as the shows - I haven't watch TOS in way way too long to comment on it. And even TNG and DS9 which I would have watched more recently - still years ago. It much easier to watch the films because obviously the shows are a long-haul commitment. TOS, TNG and DS9 are worth it. Voyager was a bit more meh but I'm sure I would find some entertainment in it. Enterprise, I never watched. Honestly the main title song put me right off it :lol

I loved TNG, first contact was great. But yes insurrection and nemesis were big piles of poo. Generations was an okay film but still enjoyable to me as it fully handed the baton from TOS to TNG. Plus there is the quote:

Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again.

First Contact is garbage.
Yet another illogical time travel plot.
Most of the crew sits out on Earth tryin' to convince Cochrane to man up.
Most characters act completely out of character, especially Picard.
The concept of Borg Queen ruined Borg forever.
etc

First Contact is garbage.
Yet another illogical time travel plot.
Most of the crew sits out on Earth tryin' to convince Cochrane to man up.
Most characters act completely out of character, especially Picard.
The concept of Borg Queen ruined Borg forever.
etc

Nah the start was amazing bringing Worf back from DS9 in the Defiant, the Borg were scary and I loved the parallels to Moby D1ck, Picard is a human and was truly hurt by the Borg. The Enterprise E is a great ship and is definitely one of the better rated Star Trek films. I didn't love the Earth parts and it's true that the queen didn't make much sense but on the whole I loved it, this is sci fi and not much makes sense in the real world so stop taking it so seriously :lol you are entitled to your opinion though! :peace

TMP is the best of the films- it is truly a big screen adventure- the rest were done on shoe-string budgets and are hard to watch today. TWOK is very good though.

TMP is the best of the films- it is truly a big screen adventure- the rest were done on shoe-string budgets and are hard to watch today. TWOK is very good though.

I found Star Trek The Motion Picture to be slow, dull and overly long.

Back