Snowtrooper Commander sixth scale figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I skipped Sunday - hey, the family was over for Easter. But let's get back to things tonight with a look at a very wintry dude, the Snowtrooper Commander from Sideshow. I love Hoth characters, and it's amazing that I've added two to the collection in the last couple weeks. You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-040418a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Coming up next - two reviews in a row from Qmx! Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!

Michael

review_stcap_6.jpg

Nice review! Like you, I LOVE Hoth! I'll wait to pick him up when he's on sale though, as he's not a "must-have" for me and he's bound to be marked down.

Problem for me is Hot Toys already showed what looked to be a far superior figure. And with the HT snowies being so great I would really like a commander to match. If I find an eBay deal I might still pick one up.

Great review as usual Michael!
The boots are reused from the SSC AT-AT Driver figure btw.

Also, what happened to the "Where to Buy" websites at the end of the reviews? This one only has a link to Sideshow's website, but nothing else. In many other previous reviews you don't have any websites mentioned specifically or linked to. It's just a bit strange that the reviews seem incomplete there.

"- has him at $209." -Huh?

Last edited:
Great review - as always. Don’t cover that his mask is meant to be smooth- it’s one of the things that is different in the commanders uniform.

I’ve got one. Like it.

The Snowtrooper Commander was not weathered because the screen used suit was like that. Also the cowl and boots are screen accurate (well to a point anyway, cowl on the SSC figure has its problems when compared to the HT proto), boots being used from AT-AT Driver.

Screen used Snowtrooper Commander suit:

Snowtrooper Commander Japanese text.JPG

Snowtrooper Commander & Veers.jpg

Snowtrooper grunt:

Snowtrooper blaster real.jpg

Snowtroopers behind Vader.jpg

Snowtroopers group 02.jpg

BTW you also need to raise that kama/duster in the back or lower the belt, in front you should not see it that much from under the belt buckle/AB plate

A somewhat strange review - there doesn't seem to be any understanding of the difference between the Snowie and the Snowie Commander ("I like the original (cowl) with the folds better"?,) and the mentions of the armor being "straight up from the first version" as if there's some kind of re-use of armor from the old 2012 Snowie when there is none. Reuse is just the SSC ATAT driver's boots, gloves (with hand armor added) and shoulder armor - reuse which seems to go unnoticed.

The glove gauntlets aren't supposed to be white ("the biggest paint issue is with the gloves") - they're light grey - and if the boots are correct to the costume, why say "I really don't like the moon boot look" as if it's Sideshow's fault as in "big problem number one."?

Great pics as always, but 10-15 mins research on the character the figure depicts would really be a good thing.

Great review as usual Michael!
The boots are reused from the SSC AT-AT Driver figure btw.

Also, what happened to the "Where to Buy" websites at the end of the reviews? This one only has a link to Sideshow's website, but nothing else. In many other previous reviews you don't have any websites mentioned specifically or linked to. It's just a bit strange that the reviews seem incomplete there.

"- has him at $209." -Huh?

You have the javascript turned off in your browser.

And yes, the smooth is correct for the Commander - I didn't say it wasn't. I said I preferred the wrinkled. Reading is FUNdamental!

Micheal, I have been reading your website for 20 years it seems. Before Hot Toys was even a thing but I notice that you tend to give Sideshow "the benefit of the doubt" and you are more critical of Hot Toys. For example, I believe if Hot Toys made a figure the quality of Sideshow, you would down-grade them because, "We expect more". I am not saying you do not give Hot Toys high marks, just a 3 star Hot Toys vs a 3 star Sideshow are of very different quality.

Never mind me ... keep writing and I love your photography.

A somewhat strange review - there doesn't seem to be any understanding of the difference between the Snowie and the Snowie Commander ("I like the original (cowl) with the folds better"?,) and the mentions of the armor being "straight up from the first version" as if there's some kind of re-use of armor from the old 2012 Snowie when there is none. Reuse is just the SSC ATAT driver's boots, gloves (with hand armor added) and shoulder armor - reuse which seems to go unnoticed.

The glove gauntlets aren't supposed to be white ("the biggest paint issue is with the gloves") - they're light grey - and if the boots are correct to the costume, why say "I really don't like the moon boot look" as if it's Sideshow's fault as in "big problem number one."?

Great pics as always, but 10-15 mins research on the character the figure depicts would really be a good thing.

No re-use? Shoulder armor, codpiece, mid-section armor, belt, pants, boots, coat with tails, all re-used. How is that not re-use? I'm cutting them slack on the re-used gloves because there's a reasonable amount of change. The only really new pieces are the helmet and torso plate...

As I said, I didn't say the cowl wasn't right - I said I preferred the wrinkled look. Same with the boots - they look clunky and cheap, hence my moon boot comment.

Micheal, I have been reading your website for 20 years it seems. Before Hot Toys was even a thing but I notice that you tend to give Sideshow "the benefit of the doubt" and you are more critical of Hot Toys. For example, I believe if Hot Toys made a figure the quality of Sideshow, you would down-grade them because, "We expect more". I am not saying you do not give Hot Toys high marks, just a 3 star Hot Toys vs a 3 star Sideshow are of very different quality.

Never mind me ... keep writing and I love your photography.

Perhaps. Then again, each Overall score is made up of 8 or more categories. Hot Toys gets three overall for different reasons than a Sideshow figure does. And unfortunately, a lot of people attack Sideshow because they aren't Hot Toys - the amount of bias around "Hot Toys can do no wrong" is often ridiculous.

No re-use? Shoulder armor, codpiece, mid-section armor, belt, pants, boots, coat with tails, all re-used. How is that not re-use? I'm cutting them slack on the re-used gloves because there's a reasonable amount of change. The only really new pieces are the helmet and torso plate...

As I said, I didn't say the cowl wasn't right - I said I preferred the wrinkled look. Same with the boots - they look clunky and cheap, hence my moon boot comment.

Your review infers re-use of elements from the 2012 Snowtrooper. To be clear, there is NO reuse from that figure, though some re-use from the Sideshow ATAT driver (shoulder armor, boots and gloves) which is understandable given its a recent figure. The trenchcoat is a similar but new pattern that is about 3/4" longer than the 2012 Snowie one in the skirt (which was noticeably short.) The other armor pieces such as the codpiece and belt armor are new sculpts.

In your review, you were unsure where the re-use of the boots was from - "I swear these are re-used from some other character" - we pointed out it was from the recent SSC ATAT driver (it's just that you said you were a Hoth kind of guy - the SSC ATAT driver is a recent 1/6 Hoth release that shipped only a bit over a year ago.)

And to clarify re: cowl, it honestly doesn't seem to be about preference - the wording of your review really seems to suggest that you didn't understand the Commander's cowl was different - "They've made some updates here, particularly in the way the rubbery face covering is designed" and "The helmet and face covering is new, as I said. The original had the folds sculpted into it - this one is straight, smooth, and stiff. It does adjust though..."

Maybe it's just the way it's written, but this suggests that you believed that Sideshow was doing some kind of a "design update" to their regular Snowtrooper cowl but this time opted to do it without sculpted folds, not - as SSC did - correctly sculpting the Commander's unique rigid cowl.

And my point on the boots is that the actual costume has moon boots, and they're fairly clean so you can't say that the figure having moon boots "really hurt the score for me" - they're just matching the costume. Sure the sculpt could have had a touch more detail (compare them to the subtly more detailed HT Snowie Commander boot sculpts,) and some light weathering - but you shouldn't be hurting the score for a boot style that is both correct and also somewhat lacking in finer detail even as a real boot.

I know you do a ton of reviews and can't be expected to know every character in great detail, and your site is a valuable resource. But in this one isolated case, it felt like you didn't know the character/costume well enough to differentiate between aspects of the costume you don't like, and whether or not Sideshow accurately reproduced it. In the review as-is it's kind of muddled (take the other comments in this thread as confirmation of this.)

Sideshow often deserves scorn for their lack of attention to detail (and this figure is far from perfect,) but they shouldn't be criticized for re-use that doesn't exist, or for accurately replicating costume elements that some people don't happen to like or aren't aware of.

You have the javascript turned off in your browser.

Ah, My Javascript should be enabled for Firefox. I checked your site with IE, and the links turn up there, but still don't turn up in Firefox and the Javascript is on there.
:dunno
At least I can find the links somehow, Thanks for the help!

And to clarify re: cowl, it honestly doesn't seem to be about preference - the wording of your review really seems to suggest that you didn't understand the Commander's cowl was different - "They've made some updates here, particularly in the way the rubbery face covering is designed" and "The helmet and face covering is new, as I said. The original had the folds sculpted into it - this one is straight, smooth, and stiff. It does adjust though..."

Maybe it's just the way it's written, but this suggests that you believed that Sideshow was doing some kind of a "design update" to their regular Snowtrooper cowl but this time opted to do it without sculpted folds, not - as SSC did - correctly sculpting the Commander's unique rigid cowl.

I have to admit that I was reading the review in the same way, that this was a change by Sideshow to their Snowtrooper and not just Michael's preference between the two different costumes.

Back