Is this EVER going to happen?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandible

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been collecting for 40 years and one thing that does my head in about a current trend of collecting is - teasing items they never release.

Why? Why the **** Hot Toys (as an example) would you show us the Death Star Trooper, almost 2 years ago (a fairly simple figure to produce, one would imagine), and not release it? Sideshow teased a 1/6 Landspeeder; Jabba's band, etc, etc, etc (albeit, never showed a prototype - but still announced it).

I don't know about anyone else, but this way of doing things doesn't inspire "good will" or "get more excited about the potential" - it just pisses me off... plain and simple. Don't say/show anything at all, if it isn't going to happen.

Anyone have any clue whatsoever, as to their marketing strategy?

Dude, take a breath. XD They aren't doing it just because they get their kicks out of giving you blueballs.

There are SO MANY different factors that can lead to a figure not reaching production. Consumer interest, licensing issues, production/materials issues, lack of acceptable profit margins, etc.

It's just how it goes. Yeah, it sucks to see a figure you want teased and not get made, but it's part of the business.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, plans change. Resources are limited so they have to be selective about which figures get made. They may also find, once revealed, that a figure doesn't have enough demand to warrant mass production.

It is what it is. Sideshow said the Max Rebo band was coming 7 years ago or so and the McQuarrie Vader was some time ago as well.

I still want max rebo & company.............but I was the most excited for the maquarrie figures in 1/6th more so than any other figures in a while.
pissed?...nah...........but pretty darn disappointed RM figs aren't happening......:(

I feel ya..........:1-1:

I get "it is what it is, etc", but what I'm saying is, it never used to be that way. I can't remember when, maybe 2002-2005, but before that most companies (99% of the time) released what they previewed.

Nowdays, it's the norm to tease and not have to deliver - and everyone just accepts that as okay? :dunno

I get "it is what it is, etc", but what I'm saying is, it never used to be that way. I can't remember when, maybe 2002-2005, but before that most companies (99% of the time) released what they previewed.

Nowdays, it's the norm to tease and not have to deliver - and everyone just accepts that as okay? :dunno

Yeah, it is super frustrating because you plan to have that fig (maybe sell an older version or sell some stuff to afford the upcoming fig) then it never shows up.

The ones that were announced or shown that I would have love to have had, but seem like they won't happen:

SSC Max Rebo Band (maybe now that Jabba is coming)
SSC Landspeeder
SSC Indy Mola Ram
SSC Indy Short Round

HT Death Star Trooper (I'm assuming it may be a Solo release, so maybe go up for PO around SDCC)
HT Power Droid
HT Falcon cockpit
HT 3PO
HT Snowtrooper Commander
HT ROTJ stormie variant

That's actually quite a lot of items now that I list them out.:horror:lol

I definitely feel your pain, Mandible. I don't like it either.

When you're a larger, more experienced company like HT and SS and you go as far as to produce a prototype and post it as if it's coming soon or even say it's coming soon then shelf it, that's just frustrating. If you go that far then you know whether or not it'll sell and you know what's involved in the production of it.

The worst teaser drop for me was the HT 60's Batmobile. Was sooo looking forward to that as it's a grail car for me. I sold Jabba and his throne specifically to make room for it.

I don't know if you're only referring to Star Wars figures but I think with Hot Toys the issue is they start developing the protos before the movie comes out and don't know the audience will receive the movie and then use that reception to project sales. For example, with Ant-Man, I'm sure if the villain had been very well received by the general audience and by collectors, they definitely would have made the Yellowjacket figure. But the movie came out and the villain kind of sucked so they knew not to bother.

Sooner or later is fine with me. I'm sure there are valid reasons for the vast delays. I'm also sure they aren't trying to piss anyone off.

The worst teaser drop for me was the HT 60's Batmobile. Was sooo looking forward to that as it's a grail car for me. I sold Jabba and his throne specifically to make room for it.

For me it was the 1:4 scale Police Shootout T-800 from T1 that never happened. Think they teased it about 7 or 8 years ago.

I have a feeling they might revisit some of these, its quite obvious the original trilogy is the place to be when it comes to collecting. I'd say with the bad reviews the new trilogy is getting they will drop the plans they had and go back to where it all began......
Still so much untapped product with the original trilogy.
Wampa
Rancor
Jabba Band
Landspeeder

The list goes on.............

Yeah, it is super frustrating because you plan to have that fig (maybe sell an older version or sell some stuff to afford the upcoming fig) then it never shows up.

The ones that were announced or shown that I would have love to have had, but seem like they won't happen:

SSC Max Rebo Band (maybe now that Jabba is coming)
SSC Landspeeder
SSC Indy Mola Ram
SSC Indy Short Round

HT Death Star Trooper (I'm assuming it may be a Solo release, so maybe go up for PO around SDCC)
HT Power Droid
HT Falcon cockpit
HT 3PO
HT Snowtrooper Commander
HT ROTJ stormie variant

That's actually quite a lot of items now that I list them out.:horror:lol

I think you nailed it Tali. I've sold things off, or not bought other things (garage kits, etc), because "X" says they're going to release the "uber" version - and then it never shows.

I could have bought an insane 1/6 Landspeeder that an RPF member made a few years back, and I decided to wait for the Sideshow version... big mistake. :slap

I have a feeling they might revisit some of these, its quite obvious the original trilogy is the place to be when it comes to collecting. I'd say with the bad reviews the new trilogy is getting they will drop the plans they had and go back to where it all began......
Still so much untapped product with the original trilogy.
Wampa
Rancor
Jabba Band
Landspeeder

The list goes on.............

The reception of the movies aside, the ST merchandise just doesn't sell the way OT stuff does.

I can see a Wampa, but Rancor would be too massive - and massive $$. That thing would have to be $1200, and cost $200 to ship.

yea it kind of sucks when they show figures and prototypes and you buy thinking or reading an interview that there are going to be more in the line down the road only for it to keep languishing.
I recall HT platoon had a picture of a prototype Elias shown but was never made. the 1966 batman showed the batmobile as mentioned and some of us thought wow they could go deep into this line.........then watch it die on the vine. I know they cant promise anything and numbers are what drives the line, but it still stings when you realize some of these lines get just a few figures.
I guess all lines need to be called star wars or ironman.......:duh

Maybe Hot Toys could adopt the model that Hasbro rolled out with Haslabs if that ends up going well which it seems to be so far. The idea of taking something obscure or expensive and crowd sourcing the funding seems like a win win for everyone especially since these companies are not going anyway so if they do not reach the goal you could feel fairly confident in getting your money back.

I feel that for figures that wouldn't do "WELL" in their business logistics should be Con exclusives, that way no max overhead or short demand. 200 Death Star troopers at SDCC or NYTF could easily sell out quickly with HT Exclusive logo or SSC. Why make something like Chrome Trooper or Fine China trooper exclusive :lol

Yeah, the loss of that '60's Batmobile was tragic. I remember my late father was REALLY looking forward to it. He was a HUGE Batmobile freak. He owned BOTH the 1:6 scale Tumbler and the Burton Batmobile.

And the whole stalling of the 1/4 scale Star Wars line really baffles me. They've previewed Darth Vader and Stormtrooper NUMEROUS of times at comic cons... even added a Kylo Ren to the mix... still NOTHING.

I'm still have hope that we might see the McQuarrie figures some day. At least Vader since it traveled fairly far down the development road.

Back