Classic TV shows in 4k?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime Clone

Super Freak
Reaction score
Been enjoying some of my fave retro TV shows from the '60s to the '80s in 1080p courtesy of Blu-ray and the iTunes Store:

• A-Team (BD)
  • Batman (BD & iTunes)
  • Battlestar Galactica (BD)
  • Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (BD)
  • CHiPs (iTunes)
  • Gilligan's Island (iTunes)
  • Incredible Hulk (BD)
  • Knight Rider (BD)
  • Lost in Space (BD)
  • Miami Vice (BD)
  • Speed Racer (BD)
  • Star Trek (BD & iTunes)
  • Star Trek (Animated) (BD)
  • Star Trek: TNG (BD & iTunes)
  • Thunderbirds (BD)
  • Twilight Zone ('60s and '80s) (BD & iTunes)
  • Wonder Woman (iTunes)

There's a few others I'd like to see:

• Bionic Woman
  • Brady Bunch
  • Charlie's Angels
  • Get Smart
  • Happy Days
  • Logan's Run
  • Man From Atlantis
  • Mork & Mindy
  • Planet of the Apes
  • SHAZAM!
  • Six Million Dollar Man
  • T.J. Hooker

Anyhoo, while there seems to be no technical reason these shows can't also be offered in 4k (if shot on film, of course), I'm wondering if there's enough of a market to make it happen?

And what's YOUR wish list?

Last edited:
Probably not because of how much money it would take to clean up the negatives, but I’d love to be wrong.

I actually am kind of curious about Batman, considering the fact that the restorations were already made in 4K.

There's so many of those old shows that I used to watch in reruns on Saturdays or during the weekends on odd channels. When I revisited them years later, I get disappointed in them and wonder why I liked them in the first place. I pretty much just avoid them now with the exception of a few. I would rather remember that I loved them than wonder why I did.

Probably not because of how much money it would take to clean up the negatives, but I’d love to be wrong.

I actually am kind of curious about Batman, considering the fact that the restorations were already made in 4K.

Pardon my ignorance, but you guys are saying it takes a completely new restoration process, over and above what was done for 1080p?

When I revisited them years later, I get disappointed in them and wonder why I liked them in the first place.

Yes, a lot of my love for these old shows is driven by nostalgia. Many of them don't really stand up to viewing through modern-day eyes, though some still make you think, "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

Gilligan in high def?? I gotta see that! When is the Blu Ray disc release?

Pardon my ignorance, but you guys are saying it takes a completely new restoration process, over and above what was done for 1080p?

Yes, a lot of my love for these old shows is driven by nostalgia. Many of them don't really stand up to viewing through modern-day eyes, though some still make you think, "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

From what I can remember, yeah. The blu-ray release was in 1080p, but I seem to recall reading that the transfers were done in 4K for the show.

From what I understand from these remasters, the image has to be cleaned up before being fit to be mastered in 4K, which involves things like removing dust and dirt and digital correction for missing data (which happens a lot). All the flaws in the image would stick out in 4K. All these require time and money that studious usually won't commit to.

Updated...

There's a few others I'd like to see:

• Bionic Woman (BD)
  • Brady Bunch
  • Charlie's Angels (BD)
  • Get Smart
  • Happy Days (partial on Paramount+)
  • Logan's Run
  • Man From Atlantis (BD & iTunes)
  • Mork & Mindy (Pluto TV)
  • Planet of the Apes
  • SHAZAM! (BD & iTunes)
  • Six Million Dollar Man (BD)
  • T.J. Hooker

Columbo and Kolchak were remastered into 4K recently.

I'd love to see The Fugitive and Have Gun - Will Travel remastered, plus a ton of other shows.

Back