Question re: different types of collectors lines

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPman

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to the different types of action figure collectors lines. I have mostly stuck to figuarts until now, but the Mezco stuff recently caught my eye and I noticed that there are several 6 inch scale lines out there making the same characters (ex. Hot Toys, Neca, Mafex). There may be more, but what is the difference between all these lines? Mezco's gimmick seems to be using actual cloth.

My advice is to stick to one scale, otherwise there is just too much stuff out there. I focus on 12” figures, and even that is pretty overwhelming to try to collect. If I was to collect another line/scale it would be the one:12 figures. They look awesome for the size, and they get great reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, first off, Hot Toys does 1/4 (18") and 1/6 (12") scales, they don't do 6 inch.

Mezco was the first company to really attempt to do what Hot Toys does - really-high-end figures at a high price tag with real clothing - at the 6" scale. There are of course other companies who work in that scale as well - some high-end ones, like Mafex, too, but many of those focus on articulation and design rather than that "close to lifelike" concept. For me, at least, being all-plastic is the difference between a high-end figure and...well, not, but that's just me :)

I agree with Grimlock. It's much easier to pick a criteria and stick with it, whether it be a certain license (read: Star Wars, Marvel, etc) or a certain scale, or a particular line (say, Mezco's One:12 Collective). If you try to get too much, too fast, you'll burn yourself out quickly, and end up with a bunch of stuff you kinda like but don't love. Take it from someone who knows. I personally picked certain licenses (Star Trek, MCU, James Bond, and LOTR) in the 12" scale. And that's plenty to keep me occupied.

I also wouldn't recommend being a completist. That's wayyyyy to expensive. Especially in 6" - it's a difficult scale, because there's just such a variety there. You've got mass-release kid's toys, to Hasbro's Black Label, to Mafex - and they're all trying to hit a different price point and a different type of collector. Most of the 12" scale companies are all trying to make Hot Toys-like "realistic" figures, so the collection looks more cohesive, I guess.

My advice is to stick to one scale, otherwise there is just too much stuff out there. I focus on 12” figures, and even that is pretty overwhelming to try to collect. If I was to collect another line/scale it would be the one:12 figures. They look awesome for the size, and they get great reviews.

Well, first off, Hot Toys does 1/4 (18") and 1/6 (12") scales, they don't do 6 inch.

Mezco was the first company to really attempt to do what Hot Toys does - really-high-end figures at a high price tag with real clothing - at the 6" scale. There are of course other companies who work in that scale as well - some high-end ones, like Mafex, too, but many of those focus on articulation and design rather than that "close to lifelike" concept. For me, at least, being all-plastic is the difference between a high-end figure and...well, not, but that's just me :)

I agree with Grimlock. It's much easier to pick a criteria and stick with it, whether it be a certain license (read: Star Wars, Marvel, etc) or a certain scale, or a particular line (say, Mezco's One:12 Collective). If you try to get too much, too fast, you'll burn yourself out quickly, and end up with a bunch of stuff you kinda like but don't love. Take it from someone who knows. I personally picked certain licenses (Star Trek, MCU, James Bond, and LOTR) in the 12" scale. And that's plenty to keep me occupied.

I also wouldn't recommend being a completist. That's wayyyyy to expensive. Especially in 6" - it's a difficult scale, because there's just such a variety there. You've got mass-release kid's toys, to Hasbro's Black Label, to Mafex - and they're all trying to hit a different price point and a different type of collector. Most of the 12" scale companies are all trying to make Hot Toys-like "realistic" figures, so the collection looks more cohesive, I guess.

Awesome - thanks for the info; it was very helpful. I like the smaller scale and some of the Mezco costumes look really cool, so I think I may pick and choose some figures from the one 12 line. Do you find that the fabric limits articulation at all?

Awesome - thanks for the info; it was very helpful. I like the smaller scale and some of the Mezco costumes look really cool, so I think I may pick and choose some figures from the one 12 line. Do you find that the fabric limits articulation at all?

I don’t collect them, but based on what I’ve seen the one:12 figures seem plenty articulated to me. They also seem to be improving their product over time. Plus, they are selling out all of their new releases. All great signs for a good line to collect, and one where the toys will hold reasonable value over time. I’m sure many will go up in value, much like early Hot Toys.

Back