Star Wars Vehicles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellion

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've got a nice 1/6 Star Wars collection going on, in fact I've sacrificed nearly all other 1/6 lines to focus on OT Star Wars. With a franchise like Star Wars some of the vehicles have become almost as iconic as the characters themselves. I'd like to slot some really nice vehicle models in amongst my collection of figures, obviously not in 1/6 scale though. Any recommendations for those of us looking for something like this but lacking in skill to assemble and paint models? Anything reasonably priced in the market that can go from box to shelf?

I've got a nice 1/6 Star Wars collection going on, in fact I've sacrificed nearly all other 1/6 lines to focus on OT Star Wars. With a franchise like Star Wars some of the vehicles have become almost as iconic as the characters themselves. I'd like to slot some really nice vehicle models in amongst my collection of figures, obviously not in 1/6 scale though. Any recommendations for those of us looking for something like this but lacking in skill to assemble and paint models? Anything reasonably priced in the market that can go from box to shelf?

Depends on what size you are looking for. If room is a concern then the Hot Wheels collection or Black Series die cast are rather nice. If you aren't worried about the size then the Bandai models are extremely nice and even with just a straight build (no paint or finishing) can produce a nice piece but unfortunately the line of Bandai models isn't as wide as the Hot Wheels or Black Series diecast pieces.

Bandai kits are great - if that isn’t too big for you. 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 scales. Easily assembled but do need some paint (or allot in mine and many’s case). Several YouTube vids to accomplish different levels of painting.

I'm an artist and graphic designer by trade so it's embarrassing to say but I don't have the time to do any kind of assembling and painting due to a demanding family and multiple freelance gigs. I also would like whatever line I collect to be fairly broad in its offerings, ships like Slave-1 and Rebel Bombers in addition to the obligatory Millenium Falcon etc... would be great.

The Hot Wheels ships feel a bit toyetic and can lack fine details.

The Black Series Titanium ships were nice but the line has been discontinued.

The Bandai Kits are phenomenal but require time and work, time that you don’t have.

If money and space aren’t a concern, I’d track down the best iteration of each Hasbro 3.75” ship.

ie. The Vintage Collection TIE Interceptor, Vintage Collection Biggs Red 3 X-Wing, Vintage Collection B-Wing, SDTDS TIE Bomber, Legacy Green Leader A-Wing, Legacy big wing TIE Fighter, etc.

Anything released around the Legacy/Vintage Collection era are a sure bet. Avoid most anything in the last couple of years.

Rebelscum and JediTempleArchives have extensive resources and photos on vehicles.

You’ll pay a premium for a lot of them now and sacrifice a bit of accuracy, but in a well presented collection, the best of the Hasbro ships definitely display very well.

If money and space aren’t a concern, I’d track down the best iteration of each Hasbro 3.75” ship.

ie. The Vintage Collection TIE Interceptor, Vintage Collection Biggs Red 3 X-Wing, Vintage Collection B-Wing, SDTDS TIE Bomber, Legacy Green Leader A-Wing, Legacy big wing TIE Fighter, etc.

Anything released around the Legacy/Vintage Collection era are a sure bet. Avoid most anything in the last couple of years.

Agree completely (especially the bit about money not being a concern). I’ve got several of these plus the Legacy Millenium Falcon and AT-AT and they are (and my kids agree) they are some of the best vehicles Star Wars vehicles ever produced.

Agreed they look great. been meaning to add one to the collection. The snow speeder is sick

The lego UCS ships are amazing, and look really good with the 1/6 collection.
The Tie Fighter is a stand out on the shelf.

This, plus a lot of family fun. My wife and daughter love putting ships together with me, it's the only real interaction they have with anything before it goes in the cave, as most of my collection doesn't get unboxed until everyone is snoozing.

How big would a 1/6 landspeeder be? I was just thinking of that last night since I don’t think it’d be too big for a room.

How big would a 1/6 landspeeder be? I was just thinking of that last night since I don’t think it’d be too big for a room.

If you look in the custom figures and dio thread under 1/6 Luke n Leia swing bridge there’s a 1/6 speeder proto in the works by the same freak and he just posted a pic there :)

Here's a photo I found online from the SW Science Meets Imagination that was touring the country years ago.

IMG_0432.jpg

I second the recommendation for Legacy/vintage line Hasbro vehicles. Those were detailed, very nicely scaled, and you get the satisfaction of loading them up with some pretty nice pilot figures and such.

Code 3 made some cool die-cast model ships back then: Vader's TIE, AT-ST, Slave 1, X-Wing and Falcon - and from AOTC the clone Gunship. Not very big and quite nice, especially the first 3.

Code 3 made some cool die-cast model ships back then: Vader's TIE, AT-ST, Slave 1, X-Wing and Falcon - and from AOTC the clone Gunship. Not very big and quite nice, especially the first 3.

Those were really really nice! I think they did a AT-ST as well, no? I remember scoring the Vader Tie and Slave one on clearance a long time ago, and really wish I never sold them off.

Back