PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood USA!

Darklord Dave
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
BBCAmerica will be airing it!

Don't know when it starts though.

Supernatural Saturday enters the world of science fiction and the paranormal with such shows as Jekyll, Torchwood, Life on Mars, Hex and Doctor Who.

Kabukiman
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
w00t!!! :fest

Now I'll have to call the cable company to see how much it costs to upgrade to the tier that carries BBC America.

Memnoch
04-03-2007, 03:01 PM
coughcough editedtohell coughcough Ah well at least the US will be getting. :lol That means that eventually we should see DVDs released locally.

Kabukiman
04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Care to elaborate without including spoilers? If that's the case, I'll just wait for the domestic DVD.

Memnoch
04-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Torchwood has numerous uses of the F-word, profanities and nudity and other things that would most likley be edited. Also, like Doctor Who, it will likley be edited for time also.

Darklord Dave
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Everything we see on BBCA is edited to hell. I liked MI-5 there, but it was jumpy and sometimes made no sense. They cut out 10 minutes of every episode to fit it in a US broadcast hour. Same with Dr. Who and Torchwood.

But it will at least give me an idea if I want to get the DVDs like I did with Who and MI-5.

Kabukiman
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Does SciFi edit Doctor Who? Or is it just BBC America? I have the Doctor Who DVD's and am embarrassed to say, I never noticed a difference from the Sci-Fi broadcast.

I didn't know about the F-bombs in Torchwood. If it's on cable, who cares? Boo to edits!

Darklord Dave
04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Sci-fi edited them too. I can tell the difference with the DVDs. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd season until it came out on DVD.

I'm a bit surprised that Torchwood is so "adult." I don't know much about the show except that Captain Jack is in it and that 2nd series of Who set it up. I got the impression from watching commentary on Who that the staff sees Who as a kind of kiddie show. Strange to have a more mature show spin off from it.

Memnoch
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
For Who, I can tell which scenes were cut while watching but I can't tell you from the top of my head. Actually I need to delete series 2 off my hard drive as its sucking up space. Torchwood.. Im really not that fond of. Its too much X-Files meets CSI: Cardiff and not enough fighting the alien horde. :lol Also if they cut back on the sex (and Owen in general) it would be great as the cursing and such makes it seem more "real".

sueworld
04-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Torchwood likes to think itself as being adult, but in reality thats far from the truth. Think Dr Who but with swearing just for the sake of it.

I found the acting on the whole not great, but the scripts were appalling!

I do hope that things improve in the second season.

Memnoch
04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Torchwood likes to think itself as being adult, but in reality thats far from the truth. Think Dr Who but with swearing just for the sake of it.

I found the acting on the whole not great, but the scripts were appalling!

I do hope that things improve in the second season.

Agree but also disagree. The swearing wasn't all that over the top, it was the sex stuff that was. Owen just needs to go as I hate his character entirely. The acting I would give a 6 out of 10... the stories.. ay the stories. They got better as the season went on (I loved Random Shoes) but the "big bad" seemed to be thrown in at the last minute.

JABBATHERIDGE
04-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Sci-fi edited them too. I can tell the difference with the DVDs. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd season until it came out on DVD.

I'm a bit surprised that Torchwood is so "adult." I don't know much about the show except that Captain Jack is in it and that 2nd series of Who set it up. I got the impression from watching commentary on Who that the staff sees Who as a kind of kiddie show. Strange to have a more mature show spin off from it.

Apparently Russell T Davies said he wanted three Doctor Who related series, one targeting each audience.

Doctor Who is aimed at families
Torchwood at adults
And the Sarah Jane Adventures at kids

Torchwood is a promising show and I think it deserved a second season but the first season was hit and miss at best. I don't think it would've gotten a second series if it wasn't a Doctor Who spin off starring Captain Jack.

If BBC America edits it alot I'm not sure how much sense the plots will make as alot of them are focused on sex etc.

Like episode two with an alien that uses orgasmic sensations to body jump, how do you make that story work without sex????

Darklord Dave
04-06-2007, 09:24 AM
BBCA won't edit sex out unless there is nudity. HEX played there and was pretty sexual. They will edit for time though, which makes it very confusing sometimes, or at least it did with MI-5.

JABBATHERIDGE
04-08-2007, 05:43 AM
BBCA won't edit sex out unless there is nudity. HEX played there and was pretty sexual. They will edit for time though, which makes it very confusing sometimes, or at least it did with MI-5.

I remember the BBC doing something pretty similar over here when Buffy The Vampire Slayer used to be on at six in the evening.

Sometimes they'd even edit the villain's death at the end of the episode and you'd be like "so how'd she kill him again?":D

A good example was Willow killing Warren at the end of season six and Buffy's next line was "Willow what did you do?"

Thanks to the BBC censors, we never found out.

Hopefully the guys at BBCA will be a bit more liberal with what goes on the cutting room floor when Torchwood comes out.

Kabukiman
09-16-2007, 10:36 AM
For those of you that don't get BBC America (like me), Torchwood premiers on HDNET tomorrow (Monday, Sept 17) night at 7pm est

:chew

However, I don't know if it will suffer from the editing discussed previously in this thread.

galactiboy
09-16-2007, 07:46 PM
HDNet doesn't seem to edit their shows... so I think they will be safe. I was watching the Blade Series and they allowed f-bombs and s h * *.

I was planning checking it out.

RoboDad
09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't know. After watching the first two episodes, I think the only thing that could make them safe would be to bury them in a deep underground bunker somewhere.

I didn't have a problem with the editing, but I do have a problem with the horrible characters, weak premise and pretentious, self-indulgent stories. I'm having a really hard time even believing that this tripe is coming from the same minds who created the latest Who incarnation.

After watching the Who episode Blink recently (one of the best bits of SF writing I've seen in a very long time), I had extremely high hopes for Torchwood, despite the savage reviews I've read from a number of sources. Unfortunately, the reviews were right, and my hopes have been dashed.

Darklord Dave
09-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I liked the first 2 episodes of Torchwood, although I miss the wise-cracking, comedy relief Captain Jack from Dr. Who.

I haven't read any reviews and it certainly doesn't live up to the current Who (Blink - one of the greatest pieces of sci-fi writing in tv this century), but I'm definitely going to give Torchwood more of a chance.

Memnoch
09-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Series 1 got better toward the end.. but even by the end I still wanted to snap Owen's neck. Hopefully series 2 will be better.

galactiboy
09-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Just finished the first episode... I'd give it a meh, bordering on interesting. I'll probably give it a few more episodes, but for right now it feels like something the SciFi network would put out.

RoboDad
09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Series 1 got better toward the end.. but even by the end I still wanted to snap Owen's neck. Hopefully series 2 will be better.

Actually, what I'd like to see is Gwen thrown into the cell with one of the Weevils, and then have everyone else just sort of get busy with other things. She alone is so annoying to me that it makes the show almost unwatchable.

But I also agree with Dave, that it really bothers me that Captain Jack is so completely unlike his Doctor Who character. It seems that they just needed to come up with some excuse to link it to the Who universe, but didn't really want that character to be the anchor, at least not as originally written. Too bad, too, because that character could have really added something to the character dynamics.

Kabukiman
09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Just finished episode one. I like it okay, I'm hoping it gets better. Also hoping we see more Captain Jack; he really needs to be the main character.

As for differences between Torchwood Captain Jack and Doctor Who Captain Jack, I think that can be attributed to the ordeal he went through in "The Parting of Ways." I'd imagine dying, being resurrected, and then stranded in a strange time/place (and who know what he went through to get to where he is now) would change a person a bit.

Darklord Dave
09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I think I'm going to hold out for the HD versions from now on. They aren't cut for language or time on HDNet. The episode is only 50 mins., so they're only cutting about 5 mins for BBCA, but it does make a difference. Although there are some faces that aren't really made for HD...

I wish they'd show Who on HDNet.

galactiboy
09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, HDnet could really show some great stuff... not sure this show would be up there, but its okay.

I'm hoping since they're showing Enterprise they might eventually air the HD TOS episodes :rock

JABBATHERIDGE
09-18-2007, 03:18 AM
The Captain Jack character change is addressed when he returns to Doctor Who in the last three episodes of series three.

I won't spoil it for fans of the show who haven't seen it yet, but it kinda settles up everything that went on at the end of Parting Of The Ways and Jack sort of makes his peace with the Doctor and returns to Torchwood much more like his old self.

So hopefully when season two comes out that should be acknowledged and Jack should go back to his original self.

Far less brooding please:D

blue_rogue
09-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I wanted to check out the first episode when it debuted on BBCA but I forgot about it. I did catch both episodes Saturday night though. The first ep was interesting but I got kinda bored halfway through the second ep.

I wasn't aware that it is also airing on HDNet. Do they only show it on Monday nights? I'll have to start watching it on HDNet.

Bonehead15
09-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I hate to admit but I'm not a Dr. Who fan but I really enjoy this series.

Any word when this is going to come out on region 1 DVD?

I'd love to see these episodes unedited.

galactiboy
09-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I wanted to check out the first episode when it debuted on BBCA but I forgot about it. I did catch both episodes Saturday night though. The first ep was interesting but I got kinda bored halfway through the second ep.

I wasn't aware that it is also airing on HDNet. Do they only show it on Monday nights? I'll have to start watching it on HDNet.

I think they played it like 3 times on Monday, but I don't think it will be played on any other days. I'll check the listings though and get back to you.

Kabukiman
09-19-2007, 05:46 AM

January 8th.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=43690

galactiboy
09-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I stand corrected, HDnet are playing the crap out of the first episode all week. Its playing tonight, Thursday and then at least 4 times on Saturday :google

Should be easy to catch.

Kabukiman
10-06-2007, 10:42 PM
3 episodes in, I'd have to say I'm liking this show a lot.

Now that the Season 3 finale of Doctor Who has aired, I must say I'm waaaaaay more interested in the Captain Jack character (not that I wasn't interested before).

Darklord Dave
10-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Yea, after seeing the Who finale it does make me more invested in Jack. I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled for his last line.

SPOILERS

But the hand is in the Tardis? Is there another episode where the Doctor visits again? Or is there a Torchwood where the hand is gone and Jack has to explain it?

Memnoch
10-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Yea, after seeing the Who finale it does make me more invested in Jack. I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled for his last line.

SPOILERS

But the hand is in the Tardis? Is there another episode where the Doctor visits again? Or is there a Torchwood where the hand is gone and Jack has to explain it?

Ill actual be curious to see how this is worked out in Torchwood myself. Interesting things happen at the end of the season... interesting in the fact that it has ZERO continuity.

JABBATHERIDGE
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM

SPOILERS

I think they've screwed up how they aired Doctor Who and Torchwood in the states and that's what's caused the confusion.

Basically Torchwood season one picks up directly after Doomsday and then the season finale of season one leads Jack into his three episode guest stint on Doctor Who at the end of it's third season, so the episodes of Torchwood that are airing in the states at the moment are set before Jack meets up with the Doctor and Martha.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Rogue Trooper
10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I think they've screwed up how they aired Doctor Who and Torchwood in the states and that's what's caused the confusion.

Basically Torchwood season one picks up directly after Doomsday and then the season finale of season one leads Jack into his three episode guest stint on Doctor Who at the end of it's third season, so the episodes of Torchwood that are airing in the states at the moment are set before Jack meets up with the Doctor and Martha.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Sounds about right, Doctor Who season 1, Who season 2, Torchwood season1 and Who season 3 then another Torchwood season.

Darth Caedus
10-07-2007, 11:50 AM
yea, torchwood is supposed to air in front of the last couple episodes of who. don't know why BBC America didn't see this coming and start airing Torchwood before sci-fi's who.

Kabukiman
10-10-2007, 02:54 PM

January 8th.
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=43690

The date has been pushed back to January 22nd according to TV Shows On DVD (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Torchwood-Season-1-Release-Date-Change/8232).

Also, fans will be able to vote on what art to use for the cover via some sort of online poll.

Kabukiman
07-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Long overdue bump...

Torchwood is going to hit Blu-Ray in North America on September 16! Amazon has a very nice price: $60!

http://www.amazon.com/Torchwood-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B001AEF6IQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1216352104&sr=8-10

pixletwin
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Wow! Thanks for the heads up Kabuki! :rock

bcm77
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
$60 seems a lot of cash to spend on a sedative :naughty

Kabukiman
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Anyone gonna be listening to "Lost Souls" tomorrow? (er, I guess it'd be "today" for you UK guys)

I'm still trying to figure out a way to hear it in the States... If any of you are recording it...

pixletwin
08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Is this available as a torrent download? I had no idea there was a sub culture of DR WHO radio dramas.

Kabukiman
09-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Soundtrack on iTunes now! http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=286218727&s=143441

JABBATHERIDGE
09-07-2008, 04:17 AM
It's getting released on CD as well in the UK on 11th September.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torchwood-Lost-Souls-BBC-Audio/dp/1405689447/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220785976&sr=8-1

There's a really long established culture of Doctor Who audios in the UK by a producer called Big Finish (although I'm not sure how many of these releases have made their way abroad).

Most of the Big Finish productions are based around the classic series of Who. Although some brand new exclusive to audio adventures from Nu Who have started to show up in the form of Pest Control and the forthcoming Forever Trap. Hopefully more will be in the works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Control-Audio-Original/dp/1405678194/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220786561&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Forever-Audio-Original/dp/1408406780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220786584&sr=1-1

Kabukiman
09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
There's a really long established culture of Doctor Who audios in the UK by a producer called Big Finish...

My commute just got 30 minutes longer, I was thinking of hitting the eighth Doctor adventures, in order, from Big Finish (download, of course) to pass the time.

Do you own any, Jabba? Any recommendations for Colin, Davison, or McCoy stories?

JABBATHERIDGE
09-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Gotta admit I don't actually own any of these myself so I wouldn't really know where to start. The Davros series they've done looks pretty exciting though and I think they made a Cyberman series a couple of years ago when they were getting reintroduced in Nu Who.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Davros-Innocence-Doctor-Who/dp/1844352315/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220884634&sr=8-9

Kabukiman
09-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Download "Lost Souls" free and legally here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/torchwood.shtml

edit: This is only going to be available for the next week, so download quickly.

JABBATHERIDGE
09-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Fantastic find Kabukiman! Was thinking about buying the CD but now I may just as well download it for free (I know, I know, I'm cheap).

JABBATHERIDGE
09-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Listened to Lost Souls last night. I won't spoil any of the plot details here but the stories pretty decent (get it while you can). The only very minor complaint I have about it is that Freema's voice sounded a little different to how it usually does when she plays Martha. Then again it was the first time I'd heard her act without seeing her so it could've been me, but she just didn't sound right. Also Martha was given very little to do in the story. Still it tied into where the series is at pretty nicely and there was a nice mention of an old TW character. You'll know what I mean when you hear it.

Kabukiman
09-13-2008, 08:28 AM
I liked Lost Souls a lot. Lots of good chemistry between the team, the story was timely, and no Rhys. Good stuff.

I was surprised at how well the main cast (Jack, Ianto, Gwen) sounded in audio play form. Audio is a completely different beast than television as far as acting goes (or so I've heard), and I thought they pulled it off nicely.

Ironman1188
09-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Download "Lost Souls" free and legally here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/torchwood.shtml

edit: This is only going to be available for the next week, so download quickly.

I know the Torchwood site was UK only, is there a difficulty in downloading the Lost Souls drama out of the UK? I tried 3 times and screwed up 3 different CD's trying it. Anyone able to help me out?

Kabukiman
09-14-2008, 06:15 AM
I know the Torchwood site was UK only, is there a difficulty in downloading the Lost Souls drama out of the UK? I tried 3 times and screwed up 3 different CD's trying it. Anyone able to help me out?

Worked fine for me. Are you having trouble downloading or burning? If you're trying to download and burn at the same time, then that's your problem. Download, then burn.

Ironman1188
09-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I hit a "button" that said "burn now playing". Should I try letting it play thru the player first then burn it?

Kabukiman
09-14-2008, 06:22 AM
What software are you using? Are you playing the mp3 from the BBC's web site, or did you download it to your hard drive?

Ironman1188
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
I keep trying to download it by hitting the blue download icon, but it just keeps starting to play right off in Windows media player. :banghead

Kabukiman
09-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Ah. Right-click that link and select "Save Target As..."

Ironman1188
09-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks!! I can't believe how I screwed that up. LOL

JABBATHERIDGE
09-15-2008, 02:12 AM
I liked Lost Souls a lot. Lots of good chemistry between the team, the story was timely, and no Rhys. Good stuff.

I was surprised at how well the main cast (Jack, Ianto, Gwen) sounded in audio play form. Audio is a completely different beast than television as far as acting goes (or so I've heard), and I thought they pulled it off nicely.

Yeah the main Torchwood cast equipped themselves well, but I think they'd had practice before Lost Souls as they'd each read an audio version of one of the Torchwood novels. Mind you Freema has read a couple of audio Who novels as well, so you'd think she'd have been better. Still, I guess some actors take to audio better than others. Jack and Gwen were particularly good. I could almost visualise John Barrowman saying the lines and he didn't sound too cheesy using the dialogue to try explaining things you couldn't see.

Glad you got your download sorted out in the end Ironman1188, what did you think of Lost Souls when you heard it?

screamingmetal
09-15-2008, 03:29 AM
I thought Lost Souls was pretty good. It felt like a episode of Torchwood and was very well produced, but the story was kind of meh compared to the TV series.

Ironman1188
09-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Yeah the main Torchwood cast equipped themselves well, but I think they'd had practice before Lost Souls as they'd each read an audio version of one of the Torchwood novels. Mind you Freema has read a couple of audio Who novels as well, so you'd think she'd have been better. Still, I guess some actors take to audio better than others. Jack and Gwen were particularly good. I could almost visualise John Barrowman saying the lines and he didn't sound too cheesy using the dialogue to try explaining things you couldn't see.

Glad you got your download sorted out in the end Ironman1188, what did you think of Lost Souls when you heard it?

Thoroughly enjoyed it!!
Are there anymore audio dramas like it available?

JABBATHERIDGE
09-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Not for Torchwood as far as I know, although most of the Torchwood novels so far have been adapted for audio with cast members doing the readings. I think if Lost Souls is successful we might see more Torchwood audio plays in the future though, perhaps after the series has finished.